U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 09:06 AM

576 posts, read 2,177,476 times

Advertisements

If you happen to be wandering around in Eastern New Mexico this weekend you still have time to take in the Running Water Draw Cowboy Symposium (June 20-22) out behind Ned Houk Park a few miles north of Clovis. (Directions below)*

There's a trail ride taking place right at this moment, and there will be authentic chuck wagon cooking at noon. There will be continuous Western music and cowboy poetry all day, as well as a horseshoe pitching contrest and a kid's rodeo. There will be lots of vendors selling art, tools, tack, handmade items, etc. and you can watch demonstrations of trained longhorn steers, millinery and fineries, working cow dogs, equine chiropractics and hoof care.

Tonight, Saturday, there is a concert at 7 PM by the Sweethearts in Carhartts, followed by a dance with the Kene Terry Band.

On Sunday morning (tomorrow) there will be a chuck wagon breakfast at 8 AM and cowboy church at 9 AM.

*Directions:
Go north on Prince St. from Lowe's Home Improvement 5 miles to CR-17, turn right and go 3 miles. OR from Love's Truck stop on Hwy 60/70/84 go north on Sugar Beet Rd. (CR-G) for 8 miles; the last 3 miles are dirt road).

Gen. admission is $5.00, chuck wagon meal on Sat. is $15.00, the wagon meal and concert is $30.00, horseshoe pitching contest is $5.00, kid's rodeo is free. On Sunday, the breakfast is $6.00 and cowboy church is free, of course.

I am not connected with this symposium in any way--just a fan of chuck wagon cooking! All of this info is from a flyer I picked up at the last chuck wagon event that I attended.

~clairz
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 AM

3,011 posts, read 9,482,401 times
Oh that sounds like so much fun! I am too far away to go to it.

clairz ~~ Are you going? Be sure to get pictures for us if you do!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:40 AM

576 posts, read 2,177,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Oh that sounds like so much fun! I am too far away to go to it.

clairz ~~ Are you going? Be sure to get pictures for us if you do!
I would so love to go, but am laid up with a bad knee. After a few repairs I hope that I can hit the chuck wagon trail once again. I'm hoping to go the the big one (http://www.cowboysymposium.org/chuckwagon.asp - broken link)in Ruidoso in October. I'll try to post more info about that one as we get closer to that date.

~clairz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: