Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Yeah we have those emissions tests in CA too, every 2 years. I don't mind them much as long as the price is reasonable. I recall paying about $40 for a test. It's worth it to me if it helps keep smoking vehicles off the road.

I think in many cases people go to their DMV or MVD whenever they have any business, even if it's to make a payment that could have just as easily been mailed in. I don't understand why somebody would voluntarily stand in line for 30 minutes or an hour with the lowest classes of people, when they could just write a check and stick 43 cents postage on it, then wait a few weeks for their registration, license, plates or whatever it is to be mailed to them. That postage is among the best spent money in my opinion.

You know, some people don't have checking accounts. That's the people you stand in line with for the most part, people so far down the economic scale that they don't even have checking accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:40 PM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,485 times
I just renewed my registration on-line. In the out posts we don't have to have emissions tests yet....

Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,969 times
MVD Express charges $20 a transaction and there are some things they can't do (I don't recall what those are). The Santa Fe MVD has just instituted some new procedures that have speeded up the process. I went to get my title put in my name and the lien taken off and it took about 35 minutes. There are things like registration renewals that can also be done at kiosks at MVD.

I worked for Taxation & Revenue Department (of which the Motor Vehicle Division is part of) and I saw some screwy stuff at some of the Express offices. A lot of times they don't ask for the right documentation and the transaction ends up getting cancelled when the paperwork is forwarded to SF. I'd rather take the time and get it done right. Go early in the morning to MVD and avoid Mondays and Fridays.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Well, we went to get our vehicle titles and our license plates today.

In and out. Very quick.

I got the Zia plate I have been waiting 38 years to get!

But my husband surprised me and opted for the balloon plate which to me is b*o*r*i*n*g. The Zia plate has all that history behind it.

Oh well. MY car will be cool.

I guess this makes us official residents of New Mexico now.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
I very reluctantly removed my Zia plate from the Buick today. Waaaahhh.

The combined wait for both the license & registration was about 3 hrs...a far cry from NM's MVD Express, which MD doesn't have. The only plus was receiving the new, security-compliant license in about 10 min. after processing.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
Oh, Tim. I feel so badly for you. I wish you could still be here with all of us.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,633 times
The Zia plate is conveniently stored in my briefcase, for a quick re-install on the Buick, should circumstances permit. In the meantime I will have to enjoy a mid-atlantic autumn, without the Sandias & chiles.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
lmao @ EVERY FRIGGIN POST ON HERE!!!! i'm originally from a different state and this was the biggest culture shock of my life when i moved over here to new mexico...my experience..well i had been to the mvd three freakin times because i kept getting completely different information on what to bring every time i called (which got super annoying) so naturally i got stuck with an id for four years with a scowl on my face...and it doesnt stop there, no it gets better turns out the new id's came out a year AFTER i got mine and because i have the old crappy one that peels nobody will accept it as an id anymore...i look really young but i'm 24 and i'm having trouble buying a pack of smokes at the gas station lol...all my experiences that have been bad have happened with the regular mvd's i've been to the express ones like three or four times and every time they are very nice, fast, and dont give you a migraine...just as long as you don't mind spending that pretty penny of yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico