Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:21 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times

Advertisements

I have seen both in Santa Fe and ABQ these little places called MVD EXPRESS where the sign says you can renew driver's licenses and do other motor vehicle business.

I assume these places are on the level, though I have not seen them in any other state, so I have not been sure what to make of them.

Has anyone here used these facilities? Are they faster than standing in a long line at the regular MVD - or IS THERE a regular Motor Vehicle Department anyplace anymore?

Could I get a NEW NM license there using my current license from Kansas...or are these places just for renewals of NM licenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:52 AM

62 posts, read 175,679 times
hi towanda,

i used an MVD express when we first moved here to get my NM license. At the time, the MVD express was actually in the Smith's on St. Michael's, which was really great because you could go do your shopping while waiting for your license. They've since moved down the street a bit, though. Anyway, they are legit, though IIRC they may charge a small fee for their services.

I think the lines are supposed to be shorter, though I honestly can't say for sure!

And yes, there is a regular old DMV somewhere in SF, though offhand I don't know where.

HTH!

Old 06-29-2008, 10:06 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I have seen both in Santa Fe and ABQ these little places called MVD EXPRESS where the sign says you can renew driver's licenses and do other motor vehicle business.

I assume these places are on the level, though I have not seen them in any other state, so I have not been sure what to make of them.

Has anyone here used these facilities? Are they faster than standing in a long line at the regular MVD - or IS THERE a regular Motor Vehicle Department anyplace anymore?

Could I get a NEW NM license there using my current license from Kansas...or are these places just for renewals of NM licenses?
They are on the level--they are contracted by the state. They are faster but I think a little more expensive--I didn't compare costs because I didn't want to wait. I did my car title-registration at the one on St. Michael's and tried to get my driver's license but that turned into a saga. On my third trip to resolve the driver's license they finally told me it was because I had a New Mexico driver's license before which needed to be done at the regular MVD. They should have told me this before sending me to the admin office on St. Francis--made me nervous--I was concerned about ID theft. They said there was nothing wrong so I returned to the Express and they had the same problem again. Turns out New Mexico puts a surrender on the license when you move from here and if you come back the regular MVD has to remove it--you shouldn't have that problem.

The MVD is off Cerrillos--south of Rodeo/Airport Road on the west side. It was not as pleasant as going to the Express. I took the max number of years so I don't have to go back for a long time.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,766 times
I have used MVD express in the past. Last time I used them it cost 15.00 dollars more for the basic services. But I was in and out within 15 minutes. Same services at a state mvd offices would have been over an hour if your lucky.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:51 AM

Thanks, guys, for all the help.

I think I will opt for the shorter lines and the added expense.

I DID have a NM license in 1970 - I HOPE that one has been off the books for a long time.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:37 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Towanda asks:

> ... MVD EXPRESS ... on the level(?) ... not been sure what to make of them.

> Has anyone here used these facilities?

Yes and <expletive> YES!

Just for the effect on your blood pressure, you want to AVOID going into the regular MVD.

The MVD is for you if you:

(1) Enjoy standing in line for an hour to have someone tell you that you are missing an 'important' document (so you'll have to go home and come stand in line for another hour - possibly missing another document)

(2) Standing in line next to people who reek of alcohol or just general bad hygiene

(3) Standing in line next to loud cellphone users (MVD Express, has chairs all around the room where you can relocate to lower the decibel/irritation level.

(4) someone else can probably add to this list of irritants.

MVD Express is for you if you:

(1) Value a couple hours of your time more than $15

(2) Already have high blood pressure

(3) Wish to keep the annoying cellphone noise to less than 30 minutes

(4) Would like to be able to keep an eye on your car while you are in the "store."

(5) ... others ? ...

> I DID have a NM license in 1970 - I HOPE that one has been off the books for a long time.

Why? Were you a bad girl?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
> I DID have a NM license in 1970 - I HOPE that one has been off the books for a long time.

Why? Were you a bad girl?
Of course not, mortimer.

But Dancingearth said you have to go through a big hassle if you have ever had a NM license in the past, and I wondered if that means all the way back to 1970.

I actually learned to drive in NM and it was my first driver's license ever.

I remember the guy who tested me said he wanted to go to the bank to cash his paycheck, so that is where we went, and I waited while he ran in the bank. Then our time was up, I didn't have to do much except get to the bank and back to the DMV and he passed me.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Echo that on the MVD express (and other MVD alternatives).

If your time is worthless or has negative value, go to the regular MVD. You will save money.

If your time is worth minimum wage or more, go to an MVD express. It's worth pointing out that MVD expresses in further-out parts of town tend to be less crowded.

On some occasions I had gotten quick, prompt, and polite service from a regular MVD. My last attempt at one was beyond horrible. The one on San Mateo was out of forms (luckily the greeter let me know without much wait). The one at Juan Tabo & Menaul had every single one of its 100 chairs full with people standing. The take-a-number system was over 50 away from the ones at the entrance.

Not only did I save a few hours by going to an MVD express (20 people waiting on the Menaul & San Mateo-ish one but only 1 waiting on Menaul & Eubank-ish), but also found out that I didn't have the paperwork I needed. Would have had to return and wait in line twice at the lovely state-run MVD.

Looking at the people waiting in the MVD, it made me realize just how many people drive that I wouldn't want to hang around with.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Echo that on the MVD express (and other MVD alternatives).

If your time is worthless or has negative value, go to the regular MVD. You will save money.

If your time is worth minimum wage or more, go to an MVD express. It's worth pointing out that MVD expresses in further-out parts of town tend to be less crowded.

On some occasions I had gotten quick, prompt, and polite service from a regular MVD. My last attempt at one was beyond horrible. The one on San Mateo was out of forms (luckily the greeter let me know without much wait). The one at Juan Tabo & Menaul had every single one of its 100 chairs full with people standing. The take-a-number system was over 50 away from the ones at the entrance.

Not only did I save a few hours by going to an MVD express (20 people waiting on the Menaul & San Mateo-ish one but only 1 waiting on Menaul & Eubank-ish), but also found out that I didn't have the paperwork I needed. Would have had to return and wait in line twice at the lovely state-run MVD.

Looking at the people waiting in the MVD, it made me realize just how many people drive that I wouldn't want to hang around with.
Yes, although the Santa Fe one wasn't quite so crowded, it was unfriendly and a strange experience. There wasn't a greeter and I couldn't quite figure out where to get a number. When I asked a young woman standing in the room where to get a number she just looked at me and then said something in Spanish. All the people sitting in the chairs just looked at me. It is the first time I felt like I was in another country--I only heard Spanish in the room. When I got to the first window the woman looked at my Fidelity statement and asked what it was and said it wasn't a good ID--didn't I have an electric bill? Yeah, they just send IRA statements to just anybody anywhere. I then gave her my car registration that I had just obtained at the Express where I had used the Fidelity account as one of my IDs. She reluctantly took the car registration! Fortunately, the actual person who did the paperwork for my driver's license was friendly so I left with a better feeling but I'll remember that feeling of having stepped into another country. I've had nothing like this experience in the eight years I lived here.

I remember when the MVD was on Alameda in Santa Fe and it always took a long time. My theory was that by the time they took your picture you would be really grumpy and then if a police officer stopped you he would be able to tell right off it was you on your driver's license (GRUMPY.)

Old 06-29-2008, 06:42 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
When I asked a young woman standing in the room where to get a number she just looked at me and then said something in Spanish. All the people sitting in the chairs just looked at me. It is the first time I felt like I was in another country--I only heard Spanish in the room.
The NM MVD caters to illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico