Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,451 times

Advertisements

Funny, Socorro means help...

Help!

I am a newly hired teacher with Socorro School district and am relocating from Oregon. I need to find a place to rent/live immediately. (August 1st?) Strongly prefer a house over an apartment – Or a Shared home & roommate? Short or long-term negotiable. I am extremely neat and clean. I teach languages am a translator, and I am currently am training a Search and Rescue Working dog.

Someone suggested i just buy a 5th wheel and park it somewhere... After spending hours looking for rentals in the area on the internet, I'm starting to think it could be a viable option!

I appreciate any help or leads you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:54 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,093,999 times
There are lots of Socorro experts on this forum, but until they chime in, use the search function to locate threads such as these:

Tell me about Socorro.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ocorro-nm.html

help for lodging in socorro

You can tool around and look at Magdalena also.

From my impressions on some of the older stuff, I wouldn't sweat finding a place until you arrive. If you have a mover, stuff your stuff in a storage unit and live in a hotel for a while. It's not like you can do that forever, but it's better than arranging to live somewhere that turns out to be crappy.

I'm not personally familiar with Socorro, but from my experiences in Albuquerque, looking for a place via the internet is just a fruitless exercise in frustration.

Socorro is small enough that you can walk it from end-to-end.

> Someone suggested i just buy a 5th wheel and park it somewhere ...

That just sounds nasty.

Finally, it sounds like you are committed. I would be concerned about culture shock - coming from Oregon.
Try to keep an open mind. I'd live in Socorro in a heartbeat.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
IIRC the old hotel (Val Verde?) rents small apartments by the month. That would give you time to talk with local realtors. Check the El Defensor newspaper on line. The school district may have some listings as well.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 12,909 times
Hope all turned out alright for you... Im new to this whole city forum stuff. Sure is neat though. Let me know?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 19,670 times
If any of you want to look at a great house for sale when you're in town, 804 Sunset Drive, Socorro, NM 87801 is just 2 blocks from NM Tech. Wonderful neighbors. Sidewalks all the way to school and to main street of town. I'm negotiable. lizzyfizz@hotmail.com I loved living in Socorro for 10 years. New Mexico Tech is a hidden treasure! LOTS of activities and access to all. Beautiful golf course, fascinating history, remember Elfego Baca on black and white tv's Wonderful World of Disney? It all took place right in Socorro. His adobe home/merchantile is still standing. Farmer's market in town square each week. Good luck! Liz

Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 AM

I plan on retiring to Socorro in a few years and going back to school at NMT.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
That sounds like a great idea. I may do the same thing.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 AM

GregW reported:

> I plan on retiring to Socorro in a few years
> .....................................^^^^^^^^^^

IN A FEW YEARS?

You mean we have to read these whistful I-wish-I-was-in-NM posts for a few more years?

C'mon man. Take the pay cut and make the move!

Think of the stress ...

Think of us forum members/readers. We'll be better of getting REPORTS from Socorro instead of this stuff we see now. You might be better off starting as a janitor at Tech and working your way into maintenance. (Hmmm, you could work on another pension ... )

Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 AM

I just got a lead on teaching general science in a Reservation school. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, I, too, am getting sick of the "someday, if only" posts.

Past time to talk with the Retirement Board and the wife.

Last edited by GregW; 03-18-2009 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: added line of text

Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 AM

That's kick-butt news.

Time for the books to get a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico