Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:02 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times

Advertisements

And if you decide to fly into Albuquerque and rent a Car in Albuquerque i heard it was Cheaper to get a taxi to a rent a car place outside of the Airport. I guess by reading the phone book at the Airport you can get the better car rental rates and you can Drive to Las Vegas. Just catch I 40 out of Albuquerque and head east towards Santa Rosa N.M. about 107 miles away and just before getting into Santa Rosa on I 40 take 84 north into Las Vegas N.M. Catch I 25 into Las Vegas and get off the first exit into Las Vegas and you will drive through town. The Caboose is on one end of Vegas and the Train Engine is on the North and the Growing area of Las Vegas. I would guess its about 140 miles from Albuquerque to Las Vegas N.M. Highlands is in the Middle of Town. If you drive dont miss Clines Corners and Flying C on I 40 they have lots of N.M. Interesting stuff and the Shrimp at the Flying C. Dairy Queen was Delicious. pintada kid @ webtv.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 12:28 AM

212 posts, read 689,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Just catch I 40 out of Albuquerque and head east towards Santa Rosa N.M. about 107 miles away and just before getting into Santa Rosa on I 40 take 84 north into Las Vegas N.M. Catch I 25 into Las Vegas and get off the first exit into Las Vegas and you will drive through town.
To get to Vegas from Albuquerque, all you have to do is go straight up I-25. There's no need to go the I-40 route, unless you're feeling extremely scenic.

But I doubt he's driving anyhow.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:46 PM

203 posts, read 714,015 times
Las Vegas NM is not served by Greyhound Bus or any other major inter-city bus line at this time. Apparently the bus lines had a contract dispute with the truck stop that acted as the local station and have not found an alternative stop.

For Amtrak: From SFO take the BART to Oakland for train to LA
Then Southwest Chief LA to Las Vegas NM. This will take about 50 hours with an overnight in LA and an overnight on train LA to LV.

From ABQ airport: Cab to train station cost about $10. City bus $1.
There is only one train each day from Albuquerque to Las Vegas. The train departs ABQ at 12:55pm arriving in LV at 3:45pm.

Other options:
1. Take a shuttle van to Santa Fe, cost about $30. From Santa Fe to Las Vegas one (and one only) commuter bus departs for Las Vegas from the State Capitol at around 4:00pm, Mondays to Fridays.

2. Shuttle to Santa Fe. Arrange with NMHU, check with your school or department or with the dean of graduate studies, for pick up in Santa Fe (you may be able to arrange pick up at ABQ airport, with luck)
For the last few years, NMHU has been actively recruiting graduate students from both South Asian countries and from West Africa. Since many of their international recruits attend NMHU on tightly budgeted government stipends, my guess is that NMHU has developed their own means of getting overseas students from ABQ airport to the Las Vegas campus.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanjio View Post
And how long is that gonna take ?

The thing is that I've never been to New Mexico. Sure I've visited USA a few time before but most of my time has spent on the east coast. I've only briefly visited Calif & Nevada once.

Also I heard that there is no cab service in Las Vegas ? Is that rite ? So how am I supposed to get to the campus from the train station ?
Your information is correct, Las Vegas has no cab service. However, the train station houses the City's public transportation office. You may be able to catch one of the free shuttles (no scheduled service) or get a lift from NMHU's shuttle. At worst, the train station is 1/2 mile (1k) from the station. Unfortunately, the station does not offer baggage storage, so the walk may be tedious if your load isn't light

As you have likely guessed, I live in Las Vegas. If you have difficulty arranging your transit from Albuquerque to NMHU, you may send me a Direct Message on this forum and I will see what may be done from here.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanjio View Post
Yeah that's what I would ideally do but the thing is that there is only one train slot at 12.55 p.m. daily for LVNM from ABQ. And none of the flights would get me there in time for the train. This is causing real problems now with regards to planning the journey. I can stay at a hotel for the nite.. but am only 18.. and have never been in ABQ before and hear that the crime rate there is really high. Any suggestions people ?
The La Quinta Inn just south of the airport is reasonable (about $50/night online rate for comfortable room), surprisingly pleasant (most rooms overlook athe courtyard garden), safe, will provide free transportation from airport to the hotel and arrange transportation to the train station.

Otherwise, are you attending NMHU as an undergraduate or as a master's degree candidate? What will be your field of study?

Old 07-25-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallit View Post
To get to Vegas from Albuquerque, all you have to do is go straight up I-25. There's no need to go the I-40 route, unless you're feeling extremely scenic.

But I doubt he's driving anyhow.
Yep, can't see Avis or Enterprise being eager to rent a car one-way to an 18 year old, right hand side driver who's traveling here on a student visa....

A note for others who may be driving from ABQ to Las Vegas, Springer, Raton and so forth: Taking I-40 to Cline's Corner and then 285 North to I-25 adds about 50 miles and an hour + of travel time to your journey. Downtown ABQ is 118 miles from LV on I-25... ABQ to Clines to LV is around 165 mi, a fair amount on 2 lane hwy.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default Albuquerque to Las Vegas N.M.

Yes its shorter taking I 25 out of Albuquerque all the Way into Vegas i have never gone that Route and its further on I 40 but if you do go on I 40 you dont have to take 285 towards Santa Fe just stay on I 40 and Catch 84 into Las Vegas. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 07-25-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
Yes its shorter taking I 25 out of Albuquerque all the Way into Vegas i have never gone that Route and its further on I 40 but if you do go on I 40 you dont have to take 285 towards Santa Fe just stay on I 40 and Catch 84 into Las Vegas. pintada kid at webtv.net
the I40-84-I25 route is about 170 miles, 59 miles on 2 lane hwy . I40-NM3-I25 is around 150 miles, with 30 miles of beautiful but very slow 2 lane state hwy.

Whatever option, the only reasons to take I 40 to get from ABQ to LV is if you want to tour the east plains, need to kill time, or really enjoy driving behind a '78 1/2 ton GMC carrying 3000 lbs of flagstone at 30mph over Donot Pass....

(I don't blame you for wanting travelers to come your way, but the person asking here, is an 18 year old student from Pakistan... Guantanamo Detention is still operational...)

Old 08-10-2008, 01:40 AM

24 posts, read 77,596 times
SO am in San Francisco these days enjoying the wonderful sunny weather. I will be flyinh to ABQ and then heading to LV by train. Someone from NMHU is likely to pick me up from the train station.

I would like to know the the best way of getting to the train station from airport in ABQ considering i'll be carrying a couple of heavy suitcases.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
ABQRide (Albuquerque Destinations - City of Albuquerque) has a nice convenient schedule list for the bus #50, which takes you straight from the airport to the Alvarado Transportation Center, which is a few feet from the Amtrak station.

It runs about every half-hour, and the entire journey takes 20-30 minutes. Have no idea what they cost nowadays but it's not going to be more than a few dollars; do bring the cash with you to avoid problems.

The only catch: I have no idea where, at the airport, the bus stop actually is. You can call 505-243-RIDE (505-243-7433) and a person whose job it is to tell you how to get from point A to point B might be able to tell you.

This is by no means the fastest method, but if you're from out of town, have a few minutes to spare, and are trying to avoid confusing transfers or cabfare, it's by far the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico