Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,744,776 times

Advertisements

We are on the high rd. to Taos although I did live in Taos in the 70's which doesn't count since it has changed so much since then. We built in the 90's but then moved to Alaska for 12 yrs. We came back to our home knowing a lot, but also being out of tune with the growth.

That said, I love Taos. I would have a little house down one of the little bent streets near the plaza any day. We actually did quite a home search in Taos this summer when we returned back to our cottage up near Sarco.

Many of the houses under $200K that were of interest to us were old adobes needing to be completely renovated. There are some cute inexpensive condos, tiny, tiny with adobe fireplaces, vegas, etc. Some were from the early 40's in downtown Taos, court yard apartments around a little courtyards. However, there were many cheap ($100K+) for sale in a condo association when the HOA fees had just shot up to $450/month so we were concerned about that happening to some of the others that we saw. Plus the price per sq ft was ridiculous.

If you like to visit museums, you would probably like the museums, art galleries & antique shops in Taos. Taos also has a more than fair share of boutiques. But with that comes lots of touristas in the summer & skiers in the winter. There are local by-passes that we all use, but a lot of the traffic goes right thru the middle of town.

There are great restaurants & mexican food in town, that's for sure. Great chile verde, etc. We have to sit at the counter now at places like Michael's kitchen since there can be long lines for tables. There's a great tamale wagon in town.

If your kids are young, investigate the schools. No zoos LOL but parking lot viewing of whole prairie dog colonies.

Hey & we shop at WalMart, Cid's health food market, Smiths and Albertsons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 29,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Have you been to Taos? If not you really need to visit first. There are a few areas of Taos that the are earthy-crunchy utopia you envision, but there are larger areas that are Wal-mart shopping-poverty level reality. Only you can decide if the Taos fits your expectations, I would suggest an extended visit and look very closely at the school system if you plan on sending your kids there.
I have been to Taos twice in the late '90s each time for less than a week and I loved it, although those were my teen years and my perspective may have been a bit skewed at the moment I am not consumerist enough to shop at wal mart. We use no disposable products since I can't buy them with my food stamps so my 'shopping' consists of swap meets and garage sales for furniture and craigslist or freecycle for clothes and kids toys. Is there a wal mart in Taos? Or was that just a stero-type about low income households?

I make a dollar above minimum wage and am a single mom so finding a lower income but charming community is one thing that originally made me think about Taos. It seems to be one of the lowest rent communities that has a nursing school there! I hope to attend UNM for two years starting in about a year to become a registered nurse, but until then it's caring for the retired folks who can no longer wipe their own buts. Once becoming an RN and working for a few years I hope to purchase/build an earthship in the foothills east of town instead of in the grater world.

I am a bit concerned about schools. I've noticed they are ranked really low. However that ranking seems to be based on academic performance alone. Are the schools there relatively safe? I am hoping to avoid the elements of gangs, drugs and violence that seem to have taken over most of the high schools in the city I live in, were not off the charts but it's pretty bad here. Having an overall environment where my children can be enriched and experience a positive learning environment is more important than a high standardized test score. I hope that makes sense as to what I am looking for in a school...

Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,050,395 times
Yes there is a Wal-mart in Taos, along with a Smith's, Albertson's and Cid's. My comment isn't meant to say only low income people shop at Wal-mart, if I need socks I'm not going to a boutique to buy them, my comment is that Taos is not strictly the utopia that many people think it is. Taos is not void of gangs, violence and drugs but I think because it's a smaller town it is not as bad as a city school.

Here's a link to the newspaper, sometimes reading the goings on of a town can help give you some more information on it. The Taos News

Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 AM

131 posts, read 446,846 times
We just returned from a great time in NM. We spent a week in Taos and the surrounding area. We have been there a number of times dating back a good many years. As property prices have dropped we thought to give it consideration for as an active retirement spot. We additionally wanted to reassure ourselves that the land we do have in NM was really the right spot. I realize that a good portion of the Taos areas population are not the rich,hip,artsy folks that seem to get all the attention in this beautiful area. The fact is we don't fit that mold either and don't care much to. The thing that strikes me is so many people keep their properties in such poor condition. It would be difficult to justify investment even at a modest level when so much is such a mess. I don't see the reason for it. I'm not talking about homes in need of repair. If you're struggling financially that is understandable. It's more the junk cars,washers,dryers and rubbish just sort of collected. It must drive those who display pride of ownership a bit nuts. I suppose I just don't get it, and if I don't get it, there is no explaining it. I was saddened to continue to find that the plaza area is maybe more than ever just too touristy. Gift shops of all kinds but little reflection of the soul of a town. All in all the Taos area is truly beautiful offering great access to outdoor activities but I suppose it's an acquired taste.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM

974 posts, read 2,341,295 times
I had a place in Taos for about 4 years, within a couple of blocks of the plaza, and loved it. It was a second home which gave me a place to get out of the city (Albuquerque area) and be in a more peaceful spot away from work. Much all my time was spent renovating my old adobe during the day, and walking over to Doc Martin's for margaritas in the evening before dinner. Then there were my walks down interesting streets and drives into the countryside. It was an idyllic time.

I knew at the time that there were two sides to Taos; one for newcomers like me, and one for the old-time families. I never sensed any resentment or racial bias and got along great with everyone I met, and knew several other "newcomers" who had businesses there or had retired there and there were no problems - as long as you stayed away from politics and didn't try to change the culture or way of life to your ideas of the way things should be. A lot has to do with respect for the values of the families who have populated this area for many, many generations - even though you may disagree with some of those values.
So yes, many of the properties are unkempt, and the majority of the residents shop at Wal-Mart, and there are drug problems and the schools could be better - but all that could be said about many towns throughout the country. Yet despite that, there are good family values, parents who do care, kids who do go on to good educations and careers, good restaurants, a hospital that tries hard to give good care, a branch of the University of NM, lovely neighborhoods, fantastic scenery, the Taos Pueblo, and so much more....

Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 AM

21 posts, read 37,449 times
Any Barbershops in the Taos are that are worthy? And if so, what do they charge?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Saint View Post
We just returned from a great time in NM. We spent a week in Taos and the surrounding area. We have been there a number of times dating back a good many years. As property prices have dropped we thought to give it consideration for as an active retirement spot. We additionally wanted to reassure ourselves that the land we do have in NM was really the right spot. I realize that a good portion of the Taos areas population are not the rich,hip,artsy folks that seem to get all the attention in this beautiful area. The fact is we don't fit that mold either and don't care much to. The thing that strikes me is so many people keep their properties in such poor condition. It would be difficult to justify investment even at a modest level when so much is such a mess. I don't see the reason for it. I'm not talking about homes in need of repair. If you're struggling financially that is understandable. It's more the junk cars,washers,dryers and rubbish just sort of collected. It must drive those who display pride of ownership a bit nuts. I suppose I just don't get it, and if I don't get it, there is no explaining it. I was saddened to continue to find that the plaza area is maybe more than ever just too touristy. Gift shops of all kinds but little reflection of the soul of a town. All in all the Taos area is truly beautiful offering great access to outdoor activities but I suppose it's an acquired taste.
Some of the junk has to do with poverty. A lot of folks I know keep 6 spare subarus for parts, turn washing machines into planters that the gophers can't tunnel into, & use junk in their arroyos for erosion control. What does make me sad is the trash dumped on national forest lands & down country hillsides. I'll never accept that.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM

974 posts, read 2,341,295 times
Chopshop - Sorry, don't know any barber shops....

bongo - yeah, I hear you. I just don't think (and I doubt you do either) poverty has to equate with a disrespect for the land and one's property. A single-wide mobile home can be made to look neat on the outside, trash can be hidden and removed to the county dump. I think that homes that look like dumps reflect the attitude of the owner more than an economic circumstance....

Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Chopshop - Sorry, don't know any barber shops....

bongo - yeah, I hear you. I just don't think (and I doubt you do either) poverty has to equate with a disrespect for the land and one's property. A single-wide mobile home can be made to look neat on the outside, trash can be hidden and removed to the county dump. I think that homes that look like dumps reflect the attitude of the owner more than an economic circumstance....
I with you, GreatSantaFe. Up here on the high road there's trash that could be on the national registry, it's that old LOL

But aren't the aspens, cottonwoods, oak & high tundra plants in glorious colors right now!!?!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:44 PM

11 posts, read 29,159 times
but it does have to do with poverty. it costs money to take those things to the dump, plus tires & appliances are extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico