Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,916,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
.....but I gotta tell you, little snack bags of chopped, roasted green chile fresh out of your garden is like mana around here. No one turns it away, and they all feel like they owe you something for it. On top of that, I just like to garden for the process. The connection to a special crop so prized in New Mexico and the intimate knowledge of that part of my family's food chain are just side benefits.
AMEN to that. I love to go out in the morning before breakfast, clip a few of whatever variety I have growing, roast, peel and chop...to add to my breakfast omelet.

There is NO comparison in the flavor, with the natural sugar content being the highest right after the chile is cut from the bush!!

Now I'm getting hungry......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,234,033 times
Domino-

Hatch will be here in Houston August 24-26 & 29-31 (you may want to double check those dates) at the HEB Central Market on Westheimer. They bring out the roasters and sell, sell, sell!

Just in case you didn't already know.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 PM

576 posts, read 2,311,564 times
The roasters are out here in Clovis at the Albertson's and at the Farmer's Market--and not a minute too soon after ziaAirmac's yummy photos. Here we go!!

~clairz

Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,922,311 times
Thanks everyone. Zia's pics look yummy. I will have to give it a try next summer. I am currently waiting for my red and orange bell peppers to turn colors. We have a hot thai pepper plant that is looking great right now. I almost don't want to take the peppers off of it.

Where do you get your seeds/seedlings for your homegrown chile?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,763,520 times
Nice article in the LC Sun-News today:

Chile season starting to heat up - Las Cruces Sun-News

I actually picked up some free seeds from the lovely folks at NMSU - they had a table out at the Farmer's Market one Saturday.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,916,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Thanks everyone. Zia's pics look yummy. I will have to give it a try next summer. I am currently waiting for my red and orange bell peppers to turn colors. We have a hot thai pepper plant that is looking great right now. I almost don't want to take the peppers off of it.

Where do you get your seeds/seedlings for your homegrown chile?
I get my seeds from both Enchanted Seeds in Anthony, NM (www.enchantedseeds.com) and the New Mexico Chile Institute at NMSU/LC.

The only NM green chile seedlings I saw here this season (Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot) were NM 6-4 (which is the most commonly grown commercial variety), Sandia and Big Jim.

I plan on starting my own again next season....NuMex Joe Parker!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:52 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Horrible? Chimayo is only good dried in chili when it's got a dozen other spices masking it's bitterness.

Sorry norteno you're outta' you're league here.
Dood where in the hell are you from? haha probably not a native New Mexican.. your out of your mind! Nortenos know best!

Chimayo beats the heck out of Hatch any day..

its spelled CHILE here

Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Don't bother with bradly. He goes from forum to forum trying to instigate arguments.
Wow look who came into the New Mexico forum now..?? haha
Talking about people on forums isnt such a great idea, only to my face.
dont worry about it this is between me and him..

Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,234,033 times
Well, you were a bit abrasive.

I'll stand behind Hatch all day... the stuff is top notch.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:34 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,291,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Dood where in the hell are you from? haha probably not a native New Mexican.. your out of your mind! Nortenos know best!

Chimayo beats the heck out of Hatch any day..

its spelled CHILE here
Well, cunyao, I'm from here. And yeah, the stuff they grow is chile, the concoction that chimayo goes in is called chili. It's good over rice or cornbread.

If you want chile colorado or verde it's best to use real chile not that mountain crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico