Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Red Chile Sauce

8 oz ground NM Red Chile, mild or medium, or a blend as you please....
It freezes well and can be doubled without making changes except possibly backing off on garlic a bit

This is more complicated than a lot of Red Chile Sauce recipes (it's a restaurant recipe), but it's worth the trouble. It's one of my favorites, but you can make a lot of interesting variations with it.
Thank you for sharing this. It looks good; I imagine the roasted tomatoes give it a more robust, slightly sweet flavor if they are fresh garden tomatoes!

I do plan to try this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,255 times
Does anyone know any good Green Chili Sauce recipes?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user244 View Post
Does anyone know any good Green Chili Sauce recipes?
The recipe on the side of the Bueno frozen green chile container does a pretty good job for green enchiladas.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user244 View Post
Hey all, I am looking for good tasting, authentic New Mexican recipes. I have looked around and some seem hard to find.

I would preferably like to make these dishes from scratch, any input would be extremely helpful.

New Mexican Green Chile
Sopapillos
Biscochitos
Huevo Rancheros (w. New Mexican Green Chile)

THanks in advance,.
I have an official New Mexican cook book I got abotu 10 years ago, anyone who would like it let me know by PMing me.

Nita

Old 04-02-2009, 01:59 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
Somebody posted this (sorry, can't remember who) in another New Mexichow thread a while ago. It's a very simple traditional homestyle chile sauce. I'd skip the Habanero though. Always use stock or broth...so much better than water in a sauce.

Chop about 1/4 of onion and mince 1 garlic clove. In a sauce pan add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and heat. Add the onions & garlic into pan and saute for about 3 - 5 minutes - don't let the garlic turn brown, not even light brown...this will cause the garlic to taste very bitter. Add 2 tsp of flour and stir until the flour starts to lightly brown - takes a few seconds. Stir in about 1 1/2 cups of chopped roasted NM green chile or Anaheim, 1 seeded & minced Habanero chile, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cup of chicken broth or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat, cover & simmer for about 20 minutes, stir occasionally.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Somebody posted this (sorry, can't remember who) in another New Mexichow thread a while ago. It's a very simple traditional homestyle chile sauce. I'd skip the Habanero though. Always use stock or broth...so much better than water in a sauce.

Chop about 1/4 of onion and mince 1 garlic clove. In a sauce pan add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and heat. Add the onions & garlic into pan and saute for about 3 - 5 minutes - don't let the garlic turn brown, not even light brown...this will cause the garlic to taste very bitter. Add 2 tsp of flour and stir until the flour starts to lightly brown - takes a few seconds. Stir in about 1 1/2 cups of chopped roasted NM green chile or Anaheim, 1 seeded & minced Habanero chile, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cup of chicken broth or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat, cover & simmer for about 20 minutes, stir occasionally.
You'd leave out the habanero?? Noooooooo!!

I'm growing Caribbean Reds this summer, which are a habanero relative....hotter and bright red. I'll dry some and make crushed chile and also powder. A little goes a LONG way!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
tecpatl -

I make my green chile sauce just about that same way -- but I have NEVER put any habeneros in mine either. (Sorry Cathy. )

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
tecpatl -

I make my green chile sauce just about that same way -- but I have NEVER put any habeneros in mine either. (Sorry Cathy. )
LOL!! Mine is very similar, too.....and I might just try a habanero the next time I make it!!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
Cathy...I'm a big fan of Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, whatever you want to call them. The question is: do they belong in the sauce? I come down on the side of NO, just because they change the basic sauce soooo much. It's certainly not a New Mexico thing.
You might look back at an earlier thread where I posted a recipe for one of my favorite table salsas:
Xni-Pek, a Maya salsa that is the standard table salsa of Yucatan and Quintana Roo. Xni-Pek (shNEE-peck) means DOG's NOSE in the Yucatec Maya language...and you can guess why....the the runny nose you get from eating it.
For readers who don't know, Jalapenos run 3 to 5 thousand Scoville units, Habaneros have
3 HUNDRED to 6 HUNDRED THOUSAND Scovilles...Ayyy Chee- wa-wa!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Cathy...I'm a big fan of Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, whatever you want to call them. The question is: do they belong in the sauce? I come down on the side of NO, just because they change the basic sauce soooo much. It's certainly not a New Mexico thing.
You might look back at an earlier thread where I posted a recipe for one of my favorite table salsas:
Xni-Pek, a Maya salsa that is the standard table salsa of Yucatan and Quintana Roo. Xni-Pek (shNEE-peck) means DOG's NOSE in the Yucatec Maya language...and you can guess why....the the runny nose you get from eating it.
For readers who don't know, Jalapenos run 3 to 5 thousand Scoville units, Habaneros have
3 HUNDRED to 6 HUNDRED THOUSAND Scovilles...Ayyy Chee- wa-wa!
Believe me, I do understand! I remember your post on the salsa...and I have made it a number of times--a recipe very similar to yours.

It IS definitely not New Mexican, but rather southern Mexico, as you are no doubt very much aware.

I am looking forward to my Caribbean Reds maturing, though, LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico