Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 12:52 AM

6 posts, read 18,817 times

Advertisements

How much do you use of each of those items. Do you boil the tomatoes or cook the onions at all. Do you chop them or put them in the blender. Do you cook the salsa for a bit? Do you put the in on the stove? Any details would help. I suck at making salsa for some reason. -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssdale View Post
How much do you use of each of those items. Do you boil the tomatoes or cook the onions at all. Do you chop them or put them in the blender. Do you cook the salsa for a bit? Do you put the in on the stove? Any details would help. I suck at making salsa for some reason. -
I followed the recipe except as noted, with half the garlic and cilantro. Other than the onions and garlic cooked in a little olive oil, everything else was raw. The little tomatoes come in pint baskets; used the whole thing, and 8 medium-sized tomatillos.

I used a food processor rather than a blender, as I wanted it a little chunkier.

Experiment! Make it as directed first, then go from there. Salsa is a necessity in my house, so I'm always doing something with it.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 AM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
Here's a link to a posole recipe thread I posted:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...er-posole.html

Thanks for the ideas here, I love seeing other peoples takes on traditional recipes.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
I'm going to have to try your recipe for posole one day, ZiaAirmac....I've never had it made with green chile! I have a big bag of frozen posole ready to use; just haven't gotten around to making more. It's a year-around thing with me. I eat hot soup in the middle of July, LOL!!

The Ceremonial Salsa was better this morning after having sat in the fridge all night....the raw tomatillos really give it a different taste. I may try it again and cook them slightly.

Salsa recipes are made for experimentation, LOL!!

Old 06-13-2009, 02:02 PM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
Yeah, and the mingling thing is key for salsa. I always make it fresh for the party and then remark at how good it is the next morning.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
I love chili rellenos. I finally got the egg thing down, but I have never seen a recipe for the light colored red sauce. Any Ideas?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:58 PM

61 posts, read 129,234 times
[SIZE=3]NEW MEXICAN GREEN CHILE STEW[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[LEFT][LEFT][SIZE=3]In a heavy bottomed stock pot sauté two roughly chopped onions and lots and lots of garlic in half-and-half butter and olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add 2 or 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces, and sauté for about 5 minutes more.[/SIZE][/LEFT]
[LEFT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/LEFT]
[LEFT][SIZE=3]Add 2 pounds cubed boneless pork, and sauté until the meat is no longer pink, turning and stirring as the meat cooks – don’t brown the pork, just get it started cooking. Cubed stew beef or ground beef, pork, or combination can be used as well. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.[/SIZE][/LEFT][/LEFT]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Add 1 pound chopped roasted peeled green chile (frozen or canned if you can’t find local fresh), and one medium can of chopped tomatoes with the juice (not pureed tomatoes). Add enough chicken stock to fill up the pot (usually 2 or 3 medium cans) and stir up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Season with lots of chopped fresh parsley, and add half as much basil (fresh or dried) as you did parsley. Do not use oregano – basil is what gives it the authentic New Mexico taste. Check for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle on some ground chipotle chile – not too much, just enough to give it that wonderful smoky taste, about half a teaspoon. Or add a whole dried chipotle chile or two, which should be removed before serving.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Partially cover and simmer for 1-2 hours. Add more stock or water if it boils down too much; it should be the consistency of a very dense soup when you’re finished.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Best served with corn bread (or warmed tortillas) and very cold Mexican beer (Corona!). Both will help to cut the heat of the green chile a little.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As wonderful as this is the day you make it, it also gets better with age. The flavors blend, the chile cools a little, and the chipotle flavor gets deeper and smokier. It can also be cooked down until it’s very thick and used as a filling for burritos or as a topping on nachos. The addition of grated cheese and/or sour cream makes it very rich and scrumptious.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Enjoy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]==============[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I've lived in NM for 13 years now, and started asking the locals for their Green Chile Stew recipes as soon as I got here - this is a compilation of all of them. People who are native to NM have told me I could open a restaurant on the strength of my GCS alone. I don't say this to brag (well... maybe just a LITTLE), just to establish the provenance of the recipe. Go for it.[/SIZE]

Old 06-22-2009, 04:08 PM

70 posts, read 288,004 times
Does anybody have the green chile recipe or a reasonable facsimile that the Frontier Restaurant,Albuquerque serves in those big ol' pots out front. Love to lather my eggs and hashbrowns in that stuff. Surely the food of the gods.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Valley Gal View Post
[SIZE=3]NEW MEXICAN GREEN CHILE STEW[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[LEFT][LEFT][SIZE=3]In a heavy bottomed stock pot sauté two roughly chopped onions and lots and lots of garlic in half-and-half butter and olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add 2 or 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces, and sauté for about 5 minutes more.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Add 2 pounds cubed boneless pork, and sauté until the meat is no longer pink, turning and stirring as the meat cooks – don’t brown the pork, just get it started cooking. Cubed stew beef or ground beef, pork, or combination can be used as well. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.[/SIZE][/LEFT][/LEFT]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Add 1 pound chopped roasted peeled green chile (frozen or canned if you can’t find local fresh), and one medium can of chopped tomatoes with the juice (not pureed tomatoes). Add enough chicken stock to fill up the pot (usually 2 or 3 medium cans) and stir up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Season with lots of chopped fresh parsley, and add half as much basil (fresh or dried) as you did parsley. Do not use oregano – basil is what gives it the authentic New Mexico taste. Check for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle on some ground chipotle chile – not too much, just enough to give it that wonderful smoky taste, about half a teaspoon. Or add a whole dried chipotle chile or two, which should be removed before serving.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Partially cover and simmer for 1-2 hours. Add more stock or water if it boils down too much; it should be the consistency of a very dense soup when you’re finished.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Best served with corn bread (or warmed tortillas) and very cold Mexican beer (Corona!). Both will help to cut the heat of the green chile a little.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As wonderful as this is the day you make it, it also gets better with age. The flavors blend, the chile cools a little, and the chipotle flavor gets deeper and smokier. It can also be cooked down until it’s very thick and used as a filling for burritos or as a topping on nachos. The addition of grated cheese and/or sour cream makes it very rich and scrumptious.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Enjoy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]==============[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I've lived in NM for 13 years now, and started asking the locals for their Green Chile Stew recipes as soon as I got here - this is a compilation of all of them. People who are native to NM have told me I could open a restaurant on the strength of my GCS alone. I don't say this to brag (well... maybe just a LITTLE), just to establish the provenance of the recipe. Go for it.[/SIZE]
Could this possibly be typed so its easier to read?

Old 07-04-2009, 02:05 AM

5 posts, read 50,873 times
Bajja Fish taos Recipes

Ingredients:
1 lime Juiced
1 pound fresh red snapper fillets, cut into 3 X 1 inch strips
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon dried cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Canola oil for frying
8 7" corn or flour tortillas, wrapped in foil and kept warm in a 250 degree oven
2 cups green cabbage, shredded
Quartered limes
Purchased or homemade salsa
Sliced avocado
***Chipotle Cream***
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 chipotle chilies in adobo, minced
1/2 lime Juiced
Dash of sugar
Salt to taste

Directions:

Toss the snapper pieces in the fresh lime juice and marinate for ten minutes. Meanwhile, combine the flour, cornmeal, chile powder, oregano, cumin and salt in a large, shallow bowl. Heat the canola oil to a depth of 1/2-inch in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until a small amount of flour sizzles when flicked into the pan. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture and fry in batches until golden and cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.

To serve, place two tortillas on each plate and divide the fish evenly down the middle of each. Top with cabbage and drizzle with Chipotle Cream. Pass limes, salsa and avocado at the table.

Chipotle Cream Stir all ingredients together in a bowl and add salt to taste. Let stand at least 10 minutes to let flavors blend. (May be made up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate until ready to serve.)

check out Taos Dining - Everything about Taos Restaurants, Eateries, Dining for delicious and mind blowing recipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico