Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 AM

823 posts, read 3,691,332 times

Advertisements

After spending a lot of time on line researching the places that met our requirements we went out west in May and visited 4 cities. When we got to Albuquerque we knew this was the place for us. We will be moving there after my wife retires in November '09. Can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:49 AM

215 posts, read 840,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Yes ... I agree that New Mexico CALLS some of us .. and the pull is very strong. I think of it as a spiritual thing. I know I have come here to learn some things in the last decades of my life.
Me too. I've relocated a couple of times, and it's always about following the call. I never do any deep research or anything. Much more exciting to take the leap first and learn firsthand after you land.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:55 AM

576 posts, read 2,309,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
Me too. I've relocated a couple of times, and it's always about following the call. I never do any deep research or anything. Much more exciting to take the leap first and learn firsthand after you land.
In our family, we call that "the ten year tourist plan." It's a kind of slow travel, going to a new place and staying long enough to really get to know what it's like there.

~clairz

Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 AM

101 posts, read 298,103 times
I can relate as well. No use trying to fight it either, just makes you miserable.
Do you find that people think you are crazy? People ask me why I am leaving, do I know someone there? Why am I leaving a good job and friends and family?
I don't know anyone there. I just feel like I'm supposed to go.
I agree, there must be things to learn and New Mexico is the place to learn them.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:02 PM

28 posts, read 89,577 times
Default Coming to NM in January

I, too, can absolutely relate to the call and pull of New Mexico on some of us. I had fallen in love with it years ago but was not in a position to make a move then, but had started saving for it and would come out as often as possible from the east coast (NJ). This past May I came out for a long weekend and everything just fell into place ad I made the decision to "do it now." They have started building my new little home in the community of Alegria in Bernalillo which is scheduled to be done by the end of this year so I will finish out the 2008 here and start out right after the first of 2009 and cannot wait!! As one friend who lives there has told me - she can tell that my spirit is already there, I just need to get my body out!! This, for me, is a dream come true and I'm ready to embrace it !! PS - any tips on moving cross country will be greatly appreciated - I'm having movers bring my "stuff" and will be driving cross country!!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 PM

175 posts, read 483,509 times
I was a camper at Cimarroncita Ranch Camp back in the late 70's early 80's..as was my mother back in the 40's. I spent time up in Ute Park and the surrounding areas. I miss New Mexico. I have never lived there but in a couple of weeks I am going back to Cimarroncita and I am so thrilled!!! It is so beautiful up there....

Old 08-03-2008, 12:13 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,035,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christylou View Post
Do you find that people think you are crazy? People ask me why I am leaving, do I know someone there? Why am I leaving a good job and friends and family?
Most of the people in my circle of family and friends still think we have moved to Arizona ... and I have kind of given up correcting them after all this time!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
As one friend who lives there has told me - she can tell that my spirit is already there, I just need to get my body out!! This, for me, is a dream come true and I'm ready to embrace it !!
YES!! This is exactly what happens. My spirit was here long before I was able to physically relocate here.

It is so interesting to see how many of us have such a similar story.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katefrisco View Post
I was a camper at Cimarroncita Ranch Camp back in the late 70's early 80's..as was my mother back in the 40's. I spent time up in Ute Park and the surrounding areas. I miss New Mexico. I have never lived there but in a couple of weeks I am going back to Cimarroncita and I am so thrilled!!! It is so beautiful up there....
Perhaps you will also hear the call to move here, kate.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:12 PM

47 posts, read 130,805 times
I almost feel like the METOO KID as I have read these great posts.

I tell people my heart has been here for thirty years, it just took that long to get the rest of me up the mountain!

Before I had family, children or career, I skied and hiked the Sacramentos. I always wanted to stay forever, but always had to return to my busy, busy life.

Life went on. Living in Oklahoma and thinking I was in my last house, my husband came home on evening and said, 'Do you know where Alamogordo, NM is?'

I said, 'Right down the mountain from the place I've always wanted to live.'

The dream that had been almost, but not quite forgotten had just been granted.

New job, new life, old dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico