Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:19 PM

45 posts, read 138,808 times

Advertisements

What a neat thread!

I moved to Albuquerque in late 2005 for a job opportunity. It was the type of offer I couldn't refuse. I was (and still am) young and mobile, married with no kids, so I was wiling to take the risk. Plus, the climate sounded pretty fabulous.

I came from New York state, so it was a total culture shock. I won't ever quite blend in, but I'm reasonably adapted. For example, I'll always be in a hurry to go nowhere, I fret at the idea of waiting in any sort of line where nobody seems to be in any rush, and I have strong opinions about what you should not be allowed to wear to work, a wedding, church, etc. LOL

It took quite a while to make friends. Most of our friends are fellow transplants.

We may not stay forever, but we really have grown to appreciate New Mexico!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 02:56 PM

101 posts, read 297,936 times
Did anyone have any problems adjusting to the altitude? How long did it take if you did have to adjust?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:26 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I am an environmental scientist looking to retire from the northeast. I wonder if the Alamo group could use a general science teacher? Where would I go to find out. PM's welcome.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 9,999 times
Since 2000, we have moved seven times!!

Then you have wasted thousands of dollars.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM

576 posts, read 2,308,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeroad80 View Post
Since 2000, we have moved seven times!!

Then you have wasted thousands of dollars.
You are so right! I've been thinking about this all afternoon. If I had never moved from the first house I bought in Washington state in 1982 for $12,500, with payments of $100 a month, the house would have been paid for long, long ago.

I would have saved all the several hundred thousands of dollars spent on subsequent and far more expensive mortgages and all the expenses to move us from Washington to New Hampshire to New Mexico to Connecticut and back to New Hampshire and back to New Mexico again. I'm sure I could have retired years ago. I should have been more sensible, and I'll try to be in my next lifetime.

But--what can I say? We are fools or we are gypsies, but we have loved the journey. And, hey, we ended up in New Mexico after all.

~clairz

Old 08-30-2008, 02:30 AM

9 posts, read 24,130 times
Default My story ..

Although I have been fortunate to visit the U.S. three times previously, my visit to ABQ in April was the first time in NM. I specifically went to ABQ for the Gathering of Nations powwow (just amazing) which was on for three days, but I stayed an extra week to look around. I had met a Pueblo gentleman online a few months earlier, and he very kindly offered to show me around all week, so I got to see a lot more than I thought I would, as a single woman travelling alone. I had no preconceived ideas about the place before I arrived, so I was totally unprepared for how much I would fall in love with ABQ. I was so impressed with how pretty the city is, and clean and tidy. And the wide open spaces in the country, and the mountains, just beautiful. I was also very lucky to meet lots of people through my friend. Crikey! Talk about a friendly bunch of people; I was made to feel so welcome and at home. It's now become my dream to move (retire) to NM in December next year, maybe spend two months at a time in several different towns to see which one I like best, but I'm thinking maybe Farmington to start with. As a non-US citizen, I realise it's not as simple as packing up and moving there, but I'm going to do all I can to make this dream come true.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
Portia:

I wish you all the luck in the world making your dream come true!

Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 PM

908 posts, read 2,854,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am an environmental scientist looking to retire ... I wonder if the Alamo group could use a general science teacher?...
Are you talking Los Alamos, Alamogordo or the New Mexico chapter of 'The Alamo Preservationists Society (TAPS)?

Old 08-30-2008, 07:53 PM

908 posts, read 2,854,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
But--what can I say? We are fools or we are gypsies, but we have loved the journey. And, hey, we ended up in New Mexico after all.
~clairz
Exactly! You can't put a price on the journey and I'll bet where you're at now is better than most on the planet. In hindsight, could you have ended up with more dollars? Sure, that's one of the benefits of hindsight. But the real question is would you trade who you are, and what you learned from your experiences for those dollars? Judging from your regularly balanced and thoughtful posts I'd be willing to bet 'no.'.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
clairz: The way I look at is that if you lived in a lot of other places before winding up in New Mexico, it only serves to help you appreciate it more.

portia60: Best of luck with moving to NM! I'm working on it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico