Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times

Advertisements

Well......the first of the NM green chile crop will be coming off before long, about 6 weeks or so.

Does anyone know where the pick-your-own places are around Alamogordo/Roswell/Las Cruces....the general vicinity?

I got a new Char-Broil electric grill that is GREAT for roasting chiles, so I am going to be doing my own this year...once again.

Many thanks to the poster who tipped me off on freezing raw whole chiles...thawing and roasting as I go. It works very well. It's not as crisp as fresh that is roasted the same day it's picked/bought, but it's vastly better than drum-roasted green chile that is stored frozen in the skin.

I FINALLY got rid of the last packages of slimy, over-roasted green chile from last August. I made green chile stew and green chile sauce for omelets and enchiladas. I don't think I'll ever buy by the bag/box again.

I hated the overcooking that is so typical of drum-roasting...and the too-charred skin that is sometimes difficult to peel. When I roasted my own for so many years (since about 1988 or so) at home over an electric burner grid (yeah, it took awhile and was a lot of work), I avoided over-roasting them. I could roast, bag, freeze. Then, thaw...once I loosened the skin around the very top, the rest would usually slip off like a glove.

I had had no experience with drum-roasted chile until last year in Alamogordo, since mass-roasting wasn't really common in TX until very recently.

And....now that I have, I really don't like it, as convenient as it is.

The chile really suffers....! Slimy, disgusting mess....blech!!!!

The frozen green chile that Bueno Foods has at Walmart/Lowe's isn't bad at all. Albuquerque Tortilla Co's chile is also good.

I must really be getting lazy in my old age....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM

45 posts, read 164,479 times
Cathy: Can you provide the brand / model of grill? I haven't started looking yet but have thought we need to find a grill that is good for roasting chiles. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I got a new Char-Broil electric grill that is GREAT for roasting chiles, so I am going to be doing my own this year...once again.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5UXH View Post
Cathy: Can you provide the brand / model of grill? I haven't started looking yet but have thought we need to find a grill that is good for roasting chiles. Thanks.
Here you go:

Char-Broil | Inviting Everybody Outside Since 1948

It's the only electric grill that Char-broil makes, as far as I know. They also have a gas one that is similar. I got mine at Amazon, and like it very well. It's called the Electric Patio Caddie, if the link doesn't go directly to the grill itself.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:30 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
Anyone know where you can get fresh RED chiles? Not dried?

Hmnn. Never roasted chiles.... do you think I could use my George Foreman grill?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:13 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,148 times
There's a number of growers around LC who will let you pick the red while they're still fresh. Bustamantes and Lujan come to mind. Man I'm looking forward to some fresh chile!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

Hmnn. Never roasted chiles.... do you think I could use my George Foreman grill?
I have an indoor grill that is similar to a Foreman (GE, top and bottom grids)..and don't really like it for roasting green chile. To get it to the point where you can peel it, it overcooks it to me. But...try it, you might like it. Some people like cooked chiles that are overdone to me. I like it a lot fresher.

I have even used a little propane torch. It works well for small batches.

As for fresh red...that will be a project for next summer. I had them by the ton one year when we got 36 inches of rain (3x the normal amount for WT)...and they are wonderful.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,653 times
Default Roswell Green Chiles

I go to the Graves Farm South of Roswell on the Artesia Highway and they Roast the Green Chile right there. Theres no way im gonna Roast two bags of Green Chili at home. Of course i love the Smell of Freshly Roasted Chili i wish i could patent that as a Cologne or Perfume but one advantage to roasting at home is better taste and the Aroma that stays in the house for days. I live alone and go Through about 3 or 4 sacks of green chile a year and i ran out a month ago so i can hardly wait to go and get more when the Crop comes around in another month. A Roasted Sack ran about 20 bucks last year. Oh when your peeling green chili and your hands start burning i use to put mine on ice. Or rub your hands with Lard or cooking oil or use surgical gloves or a Baggie to keep your hands from feeling like they are on fire especially with the XXX hot green chili. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
I go to the Graves Farm South of Roswell on the Artesia Highway and they Roast the Green Chile right there. Theres no way im gonna Roast two bags of Green Chili at home. Of course i love the Smell of Freshly Roasted Chili i wish i could patent that as a Cologne or Perfume but one advantage to roasting at home is better taste and the Aroma that stays in the house for days. I live alone and go Through about 3 or 4 sacks of green chile a year and i ran out a month ago so i can hardly wait to go and get more when the Crop comes around in another month. A Roasted Sack ran about 20 bucks last year. Oh when your peeling green chili and your hands start burning i use to put mine on ice. Or rub your hands with Lard or cooking oil or use surgical gloves or a Baggie to keep your hands from feeling like they are on fire especially with the XXX hot green chili. pintada kid at webtv.net
With 4 sacks, I can understand not wanting to do your own, LOL!!

The XXX-hot (usually Barker's) is a b**** to peel because it's so thin-skinned.

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to grow my own next year, as I can do my favorite variety that isn't sold commercially. The pods are almost always thick and straight, they roast well, and are very easy to peel. The heat level is medium, with a nice bite, but not so hot that it knocks your head off. For some reason, XXX-hot Barker's produces a burn I can't really tolerate very long...it's just different!! I have some habaneros ripening now that won't be as painful as Barker's is, LOL!!

Is Graves Farm between Roswell and Artesia? Do you have a number/address/contact for them so I can talk to them?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM

507 posts, read 2,062,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

Yes, that would work.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM

28 posts, read 149,126 times
So do you have tips for beginners? We've only been in NM for a year and had NO experience with green chile prior to moving here. Last fall we got the $10/30lb box with free fire roasting at Smiths and I spent hours that night peeling and bagging and freezing. My husband thought I was crazy but then the chile was gone by January.

That was a duller color though, lost a lot of the green and yes, slimy. And I loved it! I didn't realize it could be better. How do you know when you are done roasting? Do you peel before freezing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico