Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 AM

182 posts, read 469,790 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a college student, who is about to be married and adopt a 2 year old. I am majoring in wildlife management to get my certification as a wildlife biologist. I want to work for the government and am interested in taking a job in New Mexico.

I just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) Is New Mexico a good place for a newly graduated student to take a job and live?
2.) What are the prices on property? Taxes?
3.) Is New Mexico a good place to raise a child?

Here are other states I am interested in moving to:
Alaska
Montana
Colorado
Nebraska
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah

I really appreciate the help!

Jessica

P.S. We love the idea of mountain life and would prefer cooler summers. We are very tired of the heat here in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,614,085 times
Most of New Mexico is pretty warm, so if you are sick of hot summers, unless you can secure employment in Santa Fe, Taos, Cloudcroft, Ruidoso or other higher altitude areas, it is going to be pretty hot in the summers. Having said that, if you focus your search on jobs in the higher altitude communities, it might be a good fit.

I noticed you have other states on your list. In my opinion, a wildlife biologist position would be more enjoyable in Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Washington, Utah, Idaho, or Colorado than New Mexico, just because there is probably more wildlife and the cooler temps you are looking for.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM

946 posts, read 3,268,259 times
The higher locations in northern New Mexico are relatively cool and there is a lot of National Forest up here, so I'd suspect that there are wildlife management jobs. But is it better for you here than in any of the other states you list?

I'd say, yes it's definitely better than Nebraska and I'd be a little leery of North and South Dakota, but the other states? I think it's a question of taste. You should visit or maybe see where you get the job and make the decision that way.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,614,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
The higher locations in northern New Mexico are relatively cool and there is a lot of National Forest up here, so I'd suspect that there are wildlife management jobs. But is it better for you here than in any of the other states you list?

I'd say, yes it's definitely better than Nebraska and I'd be a little leery of North and South Dakota, but the other states? I think it's a question of taste. You should visit or maybe see where you get the job and make the decision that way.
Devin gives great advice. In fact, I am frankly puzzled by people who post on here saying...yada, yada, yada...I am a blah, blah, blah...and I am thinking of moving to New Mexico. Listen folks, don't move somewhere on the advice of others on some stupid forum. Get out there and visit the place! I have been to all those places you listed, and I could enjoy living in most of them. Alaska: Gorgeous, but so cold in the winter in some parts of the state your nipples will freeze off. Montana: Lots of it fantastic, great skiing, grizzly bears, eagles, etc. I could go on and on, but it does not matter until you personally go there. Pack up your car, and make a loop of the Rocky Mountain states. If you are a wildlife biologist, maybe go from campground to forest to park. Your soul will tell you which one is for you, not us.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,981,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Devin gives great advice. In fact, I am frankly puzzled by people who post on here saying...yada, yada, yada...I am a blah, blah, blah...and I am thinking of moving to New Mexico. Listen folks, don't move somewhere on the advice of others on some stupid forum. Get out there and visit the place! I have been to all those places you listed, and I could enjoy living in most of them. Alaska: Gorgeous, but so cold in the winter in some parts of the state your nipples will freeze off. Montana: Lots of it fantastic, great skiing, grizzly bears, eagles, etc. I could go on and on, but it does not matter until you personally go there. Pack up your car, and make a loop of the Rocky Mountain states. If you are a wildlife biologist, maybe go from campground to forest to park. Your soul will tell you which one is for you, not us.
I agree 100%. I've heard all sorts of stereotypes and subjective opinions, but when it comes down to it, I had to see/feel areas for myself.

Also, I second the advice to stick to Northern NM if you do move here. With your line of work and criteria, though, it's my subjective opinion that you'd prefer Montana or Colorado from the optional states you've listed. In Montana and Colorado, sticking to the Western sides will lead to more mountainous, forested areas. I haven't toured Utah or Wyoming sufficiently to make a recommendation there, but I grew up in Idaho and have lived in New Mexico about four years now, so Montana and Colorado are practically my stomping grounds. I've toured their forests and mountains extensively. You'll find low taxes in Montana, but Colorado has some buzzkill surprises; e.g., $500 vehicle registration, as just one of many that my sister relayed to me.

Nebraska won't offer as much as the others in terms of montane wilderness and extensive forestation. It's got its pretty points off the main drag of I-80, but probably won't suit you if I interpret your love of mountains, forests, wildlife, and cool climate to resemble mine. I've never been to the Dakotas, but hear that they're cheap on a good note but don't pay too well on a poor note.

I got no kids, so you'll have to wait for someone else on that note. Statistically, schools in your areas of interest are much like anywhere... pretty hit or miss... just live in a nicer part of town wherever you end up. If your neighborhood is factories/warehouses or your closest neighbor is a massive corporate Ag project or airport, chances are probable that your kid will go to a crappy school. Like I said, just like anywhere, so just use the same criteria you'd use for picking a neighborhood in Texas. Here in Albuquerque, you could say some schools are the cream and others are just babysitting out of the legal obligation of public education. My mom taught at a public and private school in Santa Fe, and I'd say private there, just based on her stories.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 PM

Thanks you guys, this is the best advice I have been given so far! I have spent practically half of my life roaming New Mexico and Colorado. Have been to Nebraska, Utah, and Idaho. I don't mind New Mexico during the summer, but prefer the northern areas. I have Colorado was pretty bad on it's taxes. So far, Montana is sounding the best to me!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 PM

193 posts, read 813,343 times
I personally believe my part of Northern NM is the best in the state for a number of reasons. We have a very low amount of crime, the schools are good (some are superb), people are friendly, racial diversity, some of the prettiest forests/mountains/meadows in the state, and we have 4 seasons.

I know you mention that Montana is looking best to you so far, but in case you'd like to look into this part of NM here's link to the Santa Fe National Forest's website. The areas I mention are near & in the Cuba and Coyote districts.

Santa Fe National Forest - USDA Forest Service

Edited to add that I have lived in Montana and while it's certainly beautiful & has lots of wildlife, I found the people in NM be more friendly & open. The cost of land/homes seemed a bit higher in areas of Montana as well, compared to similar locations in NM.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 PM

Thanks. Now my messages are conflicting lol. I do certainly like the northern and even, northwestern areas of New Mexico a lot better. I love Taos, Angel Fire, Eagles Nest, and Navajo Dam.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
Thanks. Now my messages are conflicting lol. I do certainly like the northern and even, northwestern areas of New Mexico a lot better. I love Taos, Angel Fire, Eagles Nest, and Navajo Dam.
The heat of the eastern part of Texas is a scorching muggy kind of heat that lasts into the night. I'm not sure I could live in San Antonio, I know I couldn't live in Dallas or Houston. I don't like the steambath kind of heat they have over there.

The heat of southern New Mexico is a very nice kind of heat. It's warm but not drenching hot. The nights are cool even on a hot day and there's nothing nicer than a hot southern NM day and sipping on a cold iced tea.

Just because you don't like hot humid weather wouldn't rule out southern NM -- not by a long shot. It's already getting too cool and it's still August.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:41 AM

But too cool is better than too hot. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico