Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 AM

125 posts, read 454,500 times

Advertisements

Okay I'll put in my two cents here as someone born and raised in Albq. I'll try to be unbiased / constructive.

There's basically three different groups of people in NM. There's the outsiders (white people) who move here from somewhere else. I would agree that in general these folks are laid back and friendly. They've moved here because they like it and they are happy and content, and they don't have to deal with the problems that most native New Mexicans face.

The subgroup of these folks that are not friendly are the obnoxious yuppies with their "big city" attitude. That attitude works in NY but not here.

Another subgroup are the hippies. Well. ... what can I say. Hippies are chill and can be friendly I guess no matter where they're at ...

The other groups of people are the born and raised here - mostly Hispanic (like me ) and Indian "Friendly" is not the adjective I would use. There's too many inherent problems for friendliess to be a natural trait. Basically outsiders mistake "reserve" and "caution" for friendliess and thats' why you think New Mexicans are friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,261,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
You get to know people with the postings here, and then when you meet them, you really know what great people we have in the New Mexico threads.
Jane

I agree with that. *smiles*

Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 PM

713 posts, read 1,849,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
Okay I'll put in my two cents here as someone born and raised in Albq. I'll try to be unbiased / constructive.

There's basically three different groups of people in NM. There's the outsiders (white people) who move here from somewhere else. I would agree that in general these folks are laid back and friendly. They've moved here because they like it and they are happy and content, and they don't have to deal with the problems that most native New Mexicans face.

The subgroup of these folks that are not friendly are the obnoxious yuppies with their "big city" attitude. That attitude works in NY but not here.

Another subgroup are the hippies. Well. ... what can I say. Hippies are chill and can be friendly I guess no matter where they're at ...

The other groups of people are the born and raised here - mostly Hispanic (like me ) and Indian "Friendly" is not the adjective I would use. There's too many inherent problems for friendliess to be a natural trait. Basically outsiders mistake "reserve" and "caution" for friendliess and thats' why you think New Mexicans are friendly.
Huh? I have no idea what you said here. I am a native, am Hispanic and friendly. I don't feel reserve or caution for anyone. You may speak for yourself, but you don't speak for most of the natives I know. We are friendly. You sound like you have some issues catagorizing people. Take people for who they are and not what category you think they belong in.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 AM

775 posts, read 2,593,423 times
Default My Two Cents

As for me ive spent a lifetime of over 50 years exploring N.M. and meetings its wonderful people and living close to nature and its plants and wild animals and I always consider everyone i meet as a Friend until they prove to me to be otherwise but New Mexico people are the Friendliest in the World in my opinion. As for Mexicans or Indians who are part of our lives i think we should give them more respect because they are Gods Creatures like we are and they have lived here for over 40 000 years. I like this N.M. forum because most of the People here are very Civil and understanding of the Cultures but once in Awhile we do get our Bad Apples but they stand out like a Sore thumb sometimes and dont last long in here. KID TIP.. Ive always said that if you can get a small Mexican Kid or Indian Kid to smile or say Hi Back to you, You Are a Lucky Person. el pintada kid

Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,488,069 times
I'd say it's the sunshine, but the CO forums aren't nearly so nice!! (In fact they are kinda mean.)

Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,258,260 times
Default Friendliness

As long as we are patting ourselves on the back, I'll join in! With one exception, everyone here has been quite friendly and welcoming. I am looking forward to visiting NM again (for about the tenth time) and meeting some of you, and hopefully moving to NM in the not too distant future. In my travels there, mostly by motorcycle, I have never met anyone unfriendly. I love New Mexico and its people.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 PM

775 posts, read 2,593,423 times
Default Catman

I can see right away Catman that you and New Mexico and the people here are gonna get along great. el pintada kid

Old 01-26-2009, 06:41 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,959,019 times
I, as a resident Yankee and future New Mexican, try to be as I am. That is, mostly friendly but able to respond to insult. I have never been insulted or attacked on this forum. I appreciate that. I have also received some good advice and encouragement.

I am guessing that the friendly and helpful nature is due to the fact the most of New Mexico, at least from the availability of water is concerned, is a marginal habitat for humans. That might make folks a be a little more concerned and considerate.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,928,173 times
I have to add to this thread because I experienced some hospitality today.

For the second time in as many trips to Costco on Southern/Eubank, I had a gentleman offer to take my empty cart back to the corral for me. Again, it was lunchtime.

I think I know what time of day I will continue to shop at Costco.

and I will say that I have lived in the deep South, and people are more genuinely friendly here.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,239,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post

So where does a friendly, native, white, New Mexican like myself fit into your system. An anomaly I suppose. Must be linked to the water we used to drink up near Dixon's Apple Orchard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico