Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:21 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times

Advertisements

Dream of Monterey started this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...feel-like.html about missing a place, as opposed to a place because of family or friends. And then Pitt Bull Dawg made this post and it got me to thinking about the New Mexico threads.

Quote:
Pitt Bull Dawg

We're living in New Mexico now, and really like it here.

I feel at home, but sometimes it is hard because we could only afford a very small house (around 1000 sq feet) and we are used to living with more square footage. I don't think I could ever find a place to live that has friendlier people, though. Think that fact will keep us here.
I have been enjoying the New Mexico threads so much! The posters are polite, helpful, considerate, fun, witty, smart and just plain nice!

I have read many threads on this forum and the only state that seems to have consistently nice threads, no matter what the topic, is New Mexico.

Now, why is that? Is it the beautiful environment, sunny skies, relaxed atmosphere? The desert seems to invoke a calm in me that I normally don't feel -- especially New Mexico. It's almost other-worldly -- or maybe "enchanted."

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this? And, my thanks to the New Mexico regulars who post and are both helpful and tolerant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 05:49 PM

429 posts, read 1,476,700 times
Default Agreed

I agree whole-heartedly! I'm so excited to now call this my homestate (although we aren't quite in Albuquerque yet - a couple family emergencies have kept us in Pep longer than expected). Once in a while you'll catch someone's ire but really, this has got to be the friendliest, most open forum out there!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:54 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Thanks! I absolutely agree! It's so refreshing reading the New Mexico threads once you've gone to other states' threads and people are bashing each other left and right -- bam! bam!

Here, it's just weird -- but nice weird. It makes moving there much more attractive.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I agree. NM posters were a lot of help before we moved here and are still the friendliest posters I've seen.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:26 PM

908 posts, read 2,852,933 times
You know, I happened on to City-Data on a fluke. It came up as a result in some Googling I was doing. At the time I was having a lot of stress at home, and it was processing out as a lot of negative focus on the town. Things like noticing all the bad driving, or pointing out every instance of graffiti, etc... I started lurking around, just curious and quickly came upon a question for which I had the answer. I sent my answer and an odd thing happened. The feeling I got helping an out of towner understand where I lived was exactly opposite of how I felt when I noticed something about the town I couldn't stand. I was hooked. Between helping folks find real answers (good and bad) about the town and reading about the things my neighbors enjoyed in town, it was like falling in love with the place all over again. It's far from perfect, but it helped me acknowledge and enjoy the things that were good.

I think another factor could be that when you live here, you can't help but notice how important tourism is. I think each of us out here has a little bit of the tourism board in us. With it's many unique features, it's an easy place to brag about.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:51 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
You get to know people with the postings here, and then when you meet them, you really know what great people we have in the New Mexico threads.
Jane

Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default Thanks Everyone Novel

Thanks for all the Wonderful Comments about N.M. Everyone. I was in Los Angeles and around California in the 60s and i saw little kids selling drugs on the Street everyone was Glassy Eyed and people fighting or wanting money. And i tell myself how Lucky I am to live in N.M. ive never seen any of this anywhere in N.M. and ive driven over 2 Million Miles 25 percent of those are probably Dirt roads but ive never seen in N.M.what i saw in L.A. in the 60s i just think how it could be now but N.M. and its Wonderful people everywhere i Go they Wave and everyone i meet it doesnt matter what Culture is a friend until they prove me Wrong or i get Bad Vibes. I lived in the center of N.M. all my life and i think i was born in the right place in the World except ive always felt like i was Born 100 years too late. >>>>>>>> I Love the Mountains and Mesas and Forests and Lakes of N.M. that are everywhere. My parents both died when i was a little kid and Most of my life ive spent learning about the Mountains and Plants and Animals and hanging with all the Old people as a kid i learned to make Remedios for all kinds of Troubles even witchcraft and arthritis and rheumetism and Diabetes, high blood pressure. Most of my life as far as i can remember ive spent helping people and doing at least a good deed or two a day. I feel good helping other and when i Post in these New Mexico forum i can feel all the Love you people from out of State feel for the area but you have to be prepared to try to understand the people also because they will make the difference between your staying or leaving. Some of the local people some of which are very Shy like the Indian Kids and the Mexican Kids i think they are So Adorable and if you can get an Indian Kid or Mexican kid to talk to you consider yourself Lucky. >>>>> In My lifetime ive saved Close to a Dozen lives risking my own sometimes but i would do it over and over if i had to do it again. Most of the People of N.M. are like me but we have to learn to Trust each other and not try to change the people just Blend In. We Either Learn To Live Together or We Perish Together. The Mexicans and the Indians have Lived in the Americas for over 40 000 years and they love this Country as Much As WE do >>>>>> If you really want to learn about N.M. and the Southwest Culture You HAVE to Read. North From Mexico by Carey McWilliams used in some Colleges to learn the True History of the Southwest not what our Movie Western portray History as being. Con Todo Mi Carino pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 08-26-2008, 08:59 PM

261 posts, read 935,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post

I was in Los Angeles and around California in the 60s and i saw little kids selling drugs on the Street everyone was Glassy Eyed...

I really miss those days.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 PM

215 posts, read 652,117 times
what great things everyone has said, and I totally agree. Since I too stumbled upon this forum, I was looking up stuff about Raton, at that time it was hopefully my new home, now it will be in just a few days. I have learned so much and felt genuine sincerity in all of the posts that I have rec'd and read. The people on this forum are just plain incredible. I've left lots of friends in California, but am so happy to be able to call New Mexico my new home.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:52 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I came to this forum two years ago because we were planning our move to New Mexico and I was able to get such useful information and opinions.

I STAYED because of the friendliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico