Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 01:45 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times

Advertisements

For some reason I have never been to Raton. Always seemed out of the way for me but I am just curious since I have never been there, what is it like? Any other NM towns you would consider it to look like? I have been through Lordsburg but that is it. I have never really stopped very long there. It looks like an old western town but that is all I know. Anyone know about that area? What is it like, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2006, 12:47 PM

28 posts, read 371,215 times
I actually grew up in that part of NM and I believe it is one of the most beautiful parts of the entire state, if you love mountains, snow and great views. Raton is a nice, quiet small town. It has your average fast food restaurants and gas stations, as well as a Kmart and several grocery stores. But no major big name stores there. It was actually the biggest town in that area, its where we used to have to go grocery shopping, to the movies, doctors, etc. It used to be an old mining town, not sure if the mine is still open up there. Right down the road is the old volcano in Capulin, very interesting to see! Plus Trinidad, Co is just north of there, nice drive thru the canyon also. The one thing I remember was the big snow storms that used to trap all the travelers there during the winter!

Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 PM

Default About Raton

Thanks nmnative505! When I take my vacation later this year, I will make a point to drive through there just so I can see it and I definitely want to check out the volcano!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Raton, Angel Fire, Eagle Nest, Santa Fe and ABQ

I flew up to CS, Colorado and rented a car. Colorado Springs is a nice, clean city. Like ABQ, it is growing by leaps and bounds. I drove down to Raton and then onto Angel Fire with a final stop in ABQ. I had planned on going south and visiting my relatives in El Paso but they told me their carpet in their living room and bedrooms were ruined from recent flooding. Mud also had gone into their home and it was a mess so I didn't need to impose on them in such a time, anyway about Raton.

Ok the good about Raton:
It looks like a typcial American town. It has a fairly busy little downtown and it looked like they were restoring the old buildings - a thumbs up on that! Otherwise it seems like a pretty laid back place.
It is VERY cheap to live there. Houses are very reasonable.
It seems like a safe place crime wise and people were friendly to me so I think newcomers would be fine moving there.
The scenery was nice. You will see the desert in one area but travel a little ways and it will be forests with pine trees and mountains so something for everyone.

Ok, now the bad:
It has a lot of older run down houses throughout the area that need to be restored or tore down. There weren't a lot of homes to pick from but there were lots of trailers (mobile homes) from lack of new homes. But a plus would be anyone wanting a cheap house to restore could find it there.
From what locals told me, in the winters, there can snow for a good part of the year. Lots of sunshine though.

I almost hesitate to mention a little town that could be the next artsy town. I don't want it to become another Taos though. The town is Cimarron. What a quaint little town and the scenery around there is absolutely beautiful. Just remember if you move there, do me a big favor and be an activist and keep it from growing into Santa Fe.
Picture of Cimarron can be found at http://www.cimarronnm.com/images/Cimarron2004.jpg (broken link)
Went on to Angel Fire
BEAUTIFUL! Expensive but not as expensive as Taos but it seems mostly condos were the trend there.
I love Angel Fire but the winters are on the severe side, not so much in cold but snow, the length it snows is quite long. It does have a lot of sunshine.

Stopped quickly by Eagle Nest. It is near Lake Eagle Nest and sort of reminded me of a mini, mini Salt Lake City back in 1880 near a mini Great Salt Lake. Western looking with the lake being the main focus, such as fishing etc. It seemed more of like being in a large meadow by a lake with mountains around it. If you like little old western towns, like the ones back in the 1800s west, that may fit the bill. Quite small so not many jobs unless you go into Taos and still not many jobs there either.

Mount Capulin. It is a must see. It is the perfect volcano. You know the kind what you think a volcano should look like, it looks like that. A two mile road, a little scary at times, winds around up to the top of the volcano and there you can hike into it. Lots of neat info about the history of the volcano such as mammoths and giant bison were there to see the volcano blast. A must see for volcano buffs!

Santa Fe, everytime I go there it gets more crowded but still has that Southwest charm so typical in Santa Fe. Didn't have much time to see much. Went on to ABQ and it just keeps growing. I 25 was noticeably more crowded. ABQ still has one of the cleanest airports in the country. I don't mind going there and it doesn't seem too crowded like most. A well planned airport. Great mini vacation.

Last edited by Yac; 08-10-2006 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2006, 06:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Thanks, CJ....I had been curious about Raton myself. Cheap housing sounds good, but not the other side of that coin.

I got my relo packet from Los Alamos.....such a beautiful place.

I have asked the Farmington C of C for one also. The new aquatics center really got my attention--as well as the fact that they have so many ammenities.

So, my homework continues. Thanks again!!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:39 PM

You are welcome Cathy. Scenery wise, Los Alamos is a lot prettier then Farmington. Farmington is really a total desert city but Farmington has more to do. So one factor you need to think about is, do I like a mountains and pines type of place or a desert place?

Old 08-11-2006, 07:10 AM

do I like a mountains and pines type of place or a desert place?

I love them both.

Farmington/Aztec's much closer location to my favorite ski area doesn't hurt a bit.....but I will make several visits first, probably. You can still see mountains/mesas, etc. around Farmington.

It has Sam's Club, Walmart, et al...so I wouldn't be going elsewhere (such as Santa Fe) for what I needed.

Downside, much more crime.

Annnyway, thanks so much!

Old 08-12-2006, 04:42 AM

You are welcome Cathy and yes I think Farmington has everything you will need too. Good Luck on your move!

Old 08-12-2006, 06:56 AM

yes I think Farmington has everything you will need too. Good Luck on your move!

Thanks, CJ...I'll let y'all know what happens.....and provide feedback when I go!

Old 08-12-2006, 10:15 PM

Thanks Cathy. I will be looking for your posts on how you like Farmington. They have a large Hobby Lobby on 20th I think and I LOVE that store. For those who don't know what Hobby Lobby is, it is a craft and hobby store. I could live in that place! They also have Big Lots, Bealls, Factory 2 You, Target, Kmart, Dollar General, Ross, Hastings, several Family Dollar stores, Dollar Tree, T J Max and Beals among others to add to my list I posted. Oh and you mentioned Sam's Club, Cathy, to add. Restaurants and fast food to add to my list (from the thread "If you could live anywhere in New Mexico) Chilis, Pizza Hut, KFC, Subways, Golden Dragon, IHOP, Kettles, Starbucks, Johnny Carino, Arby's, Wendy's, Red Lobster, Furr's, Dominos, Quiznos, Chicadees, Churches and many more. You have to try Blakes Lotaburger too if you haven't. They make great burgers and fries. Blakes is an "only in New Mexico" fast food place. Also Cathy when you go looking for a place to live, look around the golf courses like Pinon Hills or San Juan Country Club, on the east side, out in that general area, it is a safer area to live in. I wouldn't live in west Farmington or south Farmington myself. North and east are better places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico