Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:03 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times

Advertisements

Well, I trust your judgement about Carlsbad. It certainly sounds like something to see. Whether we move out there, or just wind up visiting, I will make sure we go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,496 times
Default Moving to Clovis

Hey guys im new to this site. Im Ali and im 20 years old from Moore Ok. My boyfriend/love of my life is at Cannon AFB for the next two years and I hate being this far away from him. I plan on moving out there to be with him asap. I found a few apartments that I like well online I have never been to Clovis but plan on making a trip next month. Im a dancer and dont get paid other then tips which i make about 100 a night but im looking to find out if there are any strip clubs in Clovis and if not what other places are out there I have marketing exp cashier exp and I was a recep... for a little while before joining the marine corps then i got medically discharged... any help with be great thanks...
Ali

Old 09-28-2007, 02:08 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Default Clovis: Don't always believe what you read

I love City-Data and all the discussions and different opinions, but here is something interesting that I have learned from this forum--just like the old sayings, don't believe everything that you read, and seeing is truly believing.

When I explored City-Data to see what people were saying about Clovis, I was horrified--everything was about an ugly little city, lots of crime, no available shopping, too many dairies and the resulting stink, and lots of flies--but mainly from just a couple of people.

I can only assume that these people lived in Clovis a long time ago or that they value a lifestyle very different from the one I am seeking, because what we found when we went on an exploratory trip was almost a baby Las Cruces (not yet discovered by the retirement "best places" people), with a population of 32,000. The dairies are located well out of town, the air is fresh, the people are friendly, the downtown is being restored (Main St. has an "old town" feel to it with brick paving and old time fake-facade style western buildings). There are wonderful trees and flowers and parks and golf courses, a good sized library with a well-designed web site, well-planned areas for the new stores that are going in, and the residential areas in the northern part of the city are very lovely.

Real estate prices are incredibly reasonable, especially to those of us used to the New England market. We got a much nicer home than we sold in New Hampshire for $75,000 less. Of course, we are leaving our 3 acre property for a small lot, but that's ok for us at our stage of life.

So be sure to check out places in person. We all have different needs and we all have different opinions. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

~clairz

Old 09-28-2007, 02:46 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,404 times
"One man's trash another man's treasure." You are absolutely correct clairz! I know a lot of people speak badly of NM in genereal, but it really is a wonderful place to live.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,212 times
I am glad to hear good news about Clovis! Honestly, for years, I have only heard horror stories, especially about the gangs and drugs. If there are others in Clovis who have info about the recent improvements or any info about the current crime situation (ex: Are they cleaning up the town and getting rid of drugs and gangs?), it might be helpful for that information to be shared, too. If Clovis' bad rep is no longer deserved, it would be wonderful for everyone to learn more about the improvements! Thanks for shedding light on the current Clovis situation!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Happy to be here

I am a "bloom where you are planted" kind of person, so I tend to see the positive features of a place. But I am loving the big sky and friendly people here. Using the great network of trails I am able to ride for miles every morning on my bike and see all sorts of things, both expected and unexpected. I write about my impressions of Clovis from the point of view of a recent New England transplant, at (Zees Go West). You can see some photos there, too.

~clairz

Old 09-28-2007, 03:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
I love City-Data and all the discussions and different opinions, but here is something interesting that I have learned from this forum--just like the old sayings, don't believe everything that you read, and seeing is truly believing.

When I explored City-Data to see what people were saying about Clovis, I was horrified--everything was about an ugly little city, lots of crime, no available shopping, too many dairies and the resulting stink, and lots of flies--but mainly from just a couple of people.

I can only assume that these people lived in Clovis a long time ago or that they value a lifestyle very different from the one I am seeking, because what we found when we went on an exploratory trip was almost a baby Las Cruces (not yet discovered by the retirement "best places" people), with a population of 32,000. The dairies are located well out of town, the air is fresh, the people are friendly, the downtown is being restored (Main St. has an "old town" feel to it with brick paving and old time fake-facade style western buildings). There are wonderful trees and flowers and parks and golf courses, a good sized library with a well-designed web site, well-planned areas for the new stores that are going in, and the residential areas in the northern part of the city are very lovely.

Real estate prices are incredibly reasonable, especially to those of us used to the New England market. We got a much nicer home than we sold in New Hampshire for $75,000 less. Of course, we are leaving our 3 acre property for a small lot, but that's ok for us at our stage of life.

So be sure to check out places in person. We all have different needs and we all have different opinions. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

~clairz
Good post and good advice, Clairz....you really do have to investigate a place on your own. If you have been reading on this board any length of time, you might know that I had originally planned to move to Farmington....and all of the posts about what an armpit/horrible place it is....well, I just didn't find that to be true for me when I visited (and looked for a place to live) over 3 trips...even though I ended up in Alamo, if I ever decide to leave here, Farmington is not out of the question!

Thanks for your input....it's what people need to hear....make up your OWN mind about a place, regardless of what others may say about it.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:20 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Real estate prices are incredibly reasonable, especially to those of us used to the New England market. We got a much nicer home than we sold in New Hampshire for $75,000 less.
Thats good to hear about home prices out in Clovis. Hows the apartment rental market? I've always liked the people of Eastern NM as they are so down to earth and friendly. When i last went to Clovis everyone was just SUPER friendly and with that Texan Twang/Ya'll accent.....

Glad you like it out there Clairz.........

Old 09-28-2007, 04:44 PM

Default House and apartment rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thats good to hear about home prices out in Clovis. Hows the apartment rental market? I've always liked the people of Eastern NM as they are so down to earth and friendly. When i last went to Clovis everyone was just SUPER friendly and with that Texan Twang/Ya'll accent.....

Glad you like it out there Clairz.........
Yep, people are so friendly here that we'll have some sort of culture shock if we ever leave. There are houses for rent here and in Portales for $350 and up. I have heard that the neighborhoods are generally safer (oops, there goes my Pollyanna hat, blowing away in the prairie wind! ) above 14th St., and the houses in that area are probably more in the $500+ range. There are a LOT of houses sitting on the market up in the north end and people who haven't been able to move them are trying to rent them out and they are still sitting empty--waiting for the Cannon AFB people to get here, I assume. There's a very nice 3/2 house next door to us that is for rent for $1200 and it has been empty since at least July.

Apartments available in today's paper are $225 for a one BR efficiency; $350 plus electricity for a 1 BR; $400 and $425 for a couple of 2 BRs; all the way up to $1700 for a corporate apt. furnished, 2 BR/2 bath.

All in all, except for the corporate place, some pretty good deals. And you can buy a 3/2 house here with 1000 sq. ft. starting in the mid $60s. Unheard of, at least to someone like me coming from the east.

~clairz

Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Good post and good advice, Clairz....you really do have to investigate a place on your own. If you have been reading on this board any length of time, you might know that I had originally planned to move to Farmington....and all of the posts about what an armpit/horrible place it is....well, I just didn't find that to be true for me when I visited (and looked for a place to live) over 3 trips...even though I ended up in Alamo, if I ever decide to leave here, Farmington is not out of the question!

Thanks for your input....it's what people need to hear....make up your OWN mind about a place, regardless of what others may say about it.

And that's great to hear about Farmington. Alamo is looking real good these days, too. Glad you're happy there!

~clairz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico