Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 19,322 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,

I have been considering taking a job in Clovis, NM. Being from the Pacific Northwest, I'm very accustomed to green lush enviroment.

After reading several pages of posts here, I'm concerned........... The crime and air quality being my greatest concerns. My wife and i have our last child @ home for several more years, so education quality is of major concern as well.

The cost of housing from what I've seen is great!!!! but if we can't breath the air, and have to pack side arms to keep the drug freaks and gang bangers @bay.................
Any insights would be greatly appreciated. The posts I've read give some of both, but seem to deal more with the major city hubs.

Yes i read that Clovis "is the armpit of the us" from someone who has never been on a farm, cows ****..... duh! **** stinks! duh!

Other than a stench of manure, what other air quality issues should we be concerned with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,951 times
Default About Clovis

Clovis does have crime and it is higher then most towns it's size but it isn't a war zone or anything like that. There are a lot of burlargies and that kind of thing but not too many murders and hard crime. The problem is mostly the kids who hang around because they don't have a lot to do, they can get into trouble. As far as the air, I wouldn't worry about it. It seems like rural air to me. I have had relatives live there for a few years (in the military) and they thought Clovis was ok. Clovis always reminded me more of West Texas then New Mexico I guess because of the rural farmers and ranches. If it was me, I'd rather live in Northern New Mexico along the Animas or San Juan Rivers if I was looking into rural farms, but that is just my preference. There has been talk about the depletion of water in the Texas panhandle and Southern New Mexico areas and I have heard of many wells going dry in West Texas. Something to consider. If the military closes down it's base in Clovis, it could have a hard impact on economy there.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-01-2006 at 01:22 AM..

Old 06-01-2006, 06:11 AM

Cool thank you

I certainly appreciate the information. The data pooled online seems to be dated. Crime stats for Clovis do seem extremely high for a small town, but with a military base near by that does explain some of it.

I was unaware of the water issue. Is Clovis proper on a well system? Seems from sat photos to be primarily a farming community. Lack of water puts a heavy load on farming.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 PM

18 posts, read 117,370 times
Default not sure why you would consider leaving....

I am very biased because I love the Pacific Northwest. However, even leaving that aside I would have to say that Clovis is hideously ugly. I think you will think it is awful coming from the PNW. The landscape is exactly like W. Texas because it is on the border. However, there are lots of areas of W. Texas that are prettier. It is not even pretty for the type of landscape that it is. It is VERY poor and run down. I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't see one good thing about it. We go thru there often and try not to stop. When we do it seems like there are always homeless druggies and prostitutes around. It's really a miserable place with nothing going for it. Also, remember that wages overall in New Mexico are low so that is why housing is cheap. New Mexico is very poor and Clovis does not seem to have any of the little bit of wealth the state does have. I suggest that you visit before even considering it. But honestly, I really don't think it's even worth a visit.

Okay, the one good thing from a PNW perspective is the sunshine. Lots of it but too hot. I really would not waste my time.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:50 AM

Default Clovis

DMeach, I don't know if the town itself in Clovis is well water. If it is like most West Texas towns, it is supplied via some water towers and since it is flat around there, I think that is how they do it and that kind of water always tastes horrible. Lubbock, Roswell and towns around Clovis have the worst water I have ever tasted but like Gaby, I tried to never stop in Clovis to eat so I don't know how the water is there. Out in the country around there, I am pretty sure would be only well water. I'm with Gaby. If you are coming from the beautiful Northwest, I'd think you would think Clovis is one run down place. If you want areas that are greener then I'd suggest Northern NM or Southern Colorado. There are border towns on both sides of the Colorado-NM border that are quite pretty. Pagosa Springs, Durango, Mancos, Bayfield, Cortez, Colorado are pretty places. Most are ranching and farming communities and quite green. Farmington, Kirtland, Fruitland, Aztec, La Plata, NM are generally more on the desert side but are farming and ranching areas along the rivers. Like Gaby said, think twice about Clovis.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-02-2006 at 01:57 AM..

Old 06-02-2006, 09:46 AM

18 posts, read 117,370 times
Default yes, Northern NM--not Clovis

Yes. Northern New Mexico is one of the most beautiful places in the world as far as I'm concered. The landscape is more similar to the PNW in that it is much greener even with huge pine (?) trees and rivers and mountains. But I am almost tempted to say that it is prettier than PNW because the almost constant sunshine. Think about how pretty Oregon and Wash state are in the summer-----that's how it is most of the time in Northern NM.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:05 PM

22,915 posts, read 28,256,756 times
I live in the Pacific Northwest now, but I grew up in the Clovis/Portales area, so I know the area very well. Most of my family still lives in the area.

Crime …

It’s surprisingly high for such a small city, but it isn’t like a war zone or anything. You’ll definitely want to be careful where you live. I don’t think you’ll need bars on your windows or anything, but it is definitely a place where you keep your doors locked.

Most of the crime isn’t because of the base. Most of the base people are great, though there are some bad apples to be sure.

Most of the crime is drug and poverty related.

Air quality …

If you mean smog, then there is none. It is very dusty and dry, and the area is subject to dust storms. It is also surrounded by dairies, so the air can fill with the aroma of manure when the wind blows in the wrong direction. And the dairies breed millions and millions of flies.

The Economy …

Clovis has been booming in recent years. I visited a few years ago and couldn’t believe how much it has grown. However, you should keep in mind that nearby Cannon Air Force Base, which is a big factor in the local economy, is on the list for closure. Final decision has not been reached, but if Cannon closes, the local economy is going to take a pretty severe hit. Real estate prices especially will suffer, as all the Air Force people in the area will be desperate to sell their homes.

The Cost of Living is definitely much lower than Washington State. But keep in mind that if you buy a house in Clovis now and the base closes, you may end up owing the bank more money than your house is worth --- and have a very hard time selling it.

Schools …

Not too great. The junior high and high schools definitely have more than their fair share of gangbangers and gangbanger-wannabes. And the quality of education is not that great. New Mexico in general is a poor state, so the schools are not very well funded. And unless things have changed since I was in school, it seems as if the lion’s share of the money goes to sports programs, while the textbooks are outdated, the computers are dinosaurs, and selection of classes pretty pitiful. There are private schools in the area, mostly run by local churches. They are certainly safer, though I don’t know that the quality of education is any better.

In nearby Portales, the schools are smaller, but not a whole lot safer or better for being so.

The land …

It’s really much more West Texas than New Mexico. The land is flat as a board, dry and dusty, and hot, hot, HOT. In high summer, there can be weeks were daytime temperatures average well above a hundred degrees. Even at night, it doesn’t really cool off. I remember once I was out in Clovis at nearly 3 AM, and the air temperature was still close to ninety degrees.

The area often suffers drought, and the water quality is really poor. They get some snow in the winter, though it’s certainly nothing like northern New Mexico or Colorado.

The people …

By and large, the people are very nice. Very conservative. Have you ever watched King of the Hill on TV? That’s a pretty accurate picture of Clovis if you throw in more poverty and a very large Hispanic population. Again, the Clovis area really is much more West Texas in culture than New Mexican.

There is some racial tension in the area, but it’s not like the Deep South. Most racial tension comes between local rednecks and local Hispanics. Most people get along just fine though.

The university in Portales brings in a fair amount of diversity. ENMU has a pretty significant student population from east Asian and the Middle East. My best friends growing up were a pretty good mixture of Anglo, Hispanic, and Chinese.

Shopping …

Not too great. There is a mall, but it’s pretty pathetic. Most people who want good shopping either make the 90 minute drive to Lubbock or Amarillo, Texas, or head northwest to Albuquerque.

If you’re into whole foods, organics, or hormone-free milk and beef, get ready to be hungry. Clovis has almost nothing in the way of health foods. Unless one has opened since I was last there, the only health food store in town was mostly vitamins, herbs, etc. rather than actual food.

Honestly, if you're wanting to leave the Pacific Northwest and find somewhere with a lower cost of living, I think you could do a lot better than Clovis. It isn't the worst place in the world. It isn't even the worst place in New Mexico. But I'd never move back there if I could help it.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:27 AM

Default Right On The Money!

Right on the money! Mark S. and Gaby really are giving you a true picture of what I know of Clovis, I'd really listen to what they are saying.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:53 AM

Cool thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack
Right on the money! Mark S. and Gaby really are giving you a true picture of what I know of Clovis, I'd really listen to what they are saying.

Ok, so I should be wary, I'm flying down for an interview next week. Company pays for everything so...... What areas of town would be worts/ and the best? I'd like to drive around a bit a check things out. This is a great employment opportunity that is not effected by the military base. The the base closing info is critical. Should I decide to gamble on the job. I'll be waiting any closures out prior to buying.

Again thank you all for the valuable input.

Don
Portland, OR

Old 06-04-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Clovis Homes

DMeach, I'd look in the Llano Estacado Blvd area north in the Chaparral Country Club area, if it was me. You should be able to completely see all of Clovis in an hour or two. It doesn't take long. The houses aren't the typical New Mexican adobe or stucco homes with flat or tiled rooves but the Texas style homes of brick with pitched rooves. The brick homes aren't cheap either for some reason. Expect to pay around 300,000 to 400,000 for a good size new home, which is cheap compared to the Northwest area I'm sure. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico