Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM

185 posts, read 652,826 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Clariz,

I know that in one of my posts I did mention an attorney. I wasn't thinking of a law suit and didn't make myself clear. Your friend sounds like a wonderful and loving human being. It really upset me to read of all she went through. I would get in touch with the (ACLU) American Civil Liberties Union. They would investigate the whole situation and I'm sure would make one heck of a report. Find out from them other sources that you can contact, because things have to change. This is a matter that isn't an "Oh Well" situation. She was publicly embarrassed, humiliated, didn't have proper sanitation, treated worse then any animal. If jail inmates can get (ACLU) to look into their grievances, your friend has every right in the world to be heard. It's disgusting, and has me second guessing about moving to NM. I have three boys living there now, but there just going to have to drive a little further to see moms, granny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Clairz, I am so sorry that this happened to your friend! I was shocked beyond words, when I read your beginning post! My best friend takes anti-depressants, and it is an absolute must for her. She is not a danger to anyone else, but her chemistry is such that she must have a little help. Otherwise, her body is so out of balance, that her mood swings can vary greatly, like going on a rollercoaster ride, you know, the massive highs, and the sudden deep lows. I've seen her during those times, (such as a switch in meds, etc.), and without her proper medication, I would be deeply concerned for her well-being.

My daughter has also been taking medication, because we found that she apparently suffers from seasonal disorder. It really hits her hard, during the winter, as she and her husband live in Germany, (he's in the Air Force), and they live for weeks at a time, without any sunshine. Having grown up here in Florida, she has always been used to lots of sunshine, even during the winter, so being in Germany the last four years has been difficult, during the winter time. She found it very difficult to even function, and would get very depressed. It frustrated me, because like all moms, I wanted to help her, but being so far away, there was nothing I could do. I was grateful when she found a doctor who gave her a decent medication. It helped her tremendously!

I have to say, if that silly therapist in Roswell said that your friend was not oriented to time and place, we'd all be in trouble. I use a calendar, to keep track of my days. Does this doctor not do the same? I have to look at it all the time, to make sure which day it is, especially since my husband is on leave at the moment, (round two, in his cancer battle), because sometimes the days just simply blur into one another. And names? Shoot, I've mixed up my own two kids' names since they were little, (frustrates them to no end, I can tell you!). But, guess what? I really do know them, one from the other. I also can't remember my cell phone number. Would that also qualify me as needing help?

I hope, and pray, that your friend is continuing to feel better! She is very fortunate to have a friend like you!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,939 times
The ACLU sounds like a good idea to me. I will never understand why the authorities feel the need to badger people into signing commitment papers such that they cannot let themselves out.

A mass murderer will be read his Miranda rights, and is guaranteed a lawyer and a bail hearing and a speedy trial. But an upset, frightened person is locked up -- often in dangerous situations -- until some therapist (who could have graduated from college yesterday) says that he or she is okay to go.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 09-10-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
I'm not one to sue either, however, if there were ever a case of somebody needing to be taught a harsh lesson, this is it. It's unconscionable what they did to that poor woman. Whats the matter with these people? They can build a spaceport in NM for the 21st century and beyond, but have a backwards mentality with this??

She is indeed lucky to have someone like you to help her. If it had been my Mother, Father, etc... I don't know how I'd react. Certainly not as calm and collected as you seem.

Good luck

Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Here's something

I'd contact them right away. I'd also collect as much evidence as possible even if it is only you and your friend making a written record of what happened to her. You might also want to file a complaint with the sheriff -- so he can't plead ignorance -- and file with NM consumer affairs.

A near contemporary record is better than your recollection months later at a hearing or something of that sort and complaints filed soon after the event seem more potent than those filed months later.

"State Protection and Advocacy Agency

Each State has a protection and advocacy agency that receives funding from the Federal Center for Mental Health Services. Agencies are mandated to protect and advocate for the rights of people with mental illnesses and to investigate reports of abuse and neglect in facilities that care for or treat individuals with mental illnesses. These facilities, which may be public or private, include hospitals, nursing homes, community facilities, board and care homes, homeless shelters, jails, and prisons. Agencies provide advocacy services or conduct investigations to address issues that arise during transportation or admission to such facilities, during residency in them, or within 90 days after discharge from them. Contact: James Jackson, Executive Director
Protection and Advocacy System
1720 Louisiana Boulevard NE, Suite 204
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Phone: 505-256-3100 (TDD)
Toll-free: 800-432-4682 (Statewide)
Fax: 505-256-3184
E-mail: info@nmpanda.org
Internet: www.nmpanda.org
Spanish language assistance available"

Last edited by Devin Bent; 09-10-2008 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 AM

Default Something else

And here's a link to a list of local affiliates of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) in New Mexico:

NAMI | State & Local NAMIs

Are these active organizations or just a name and phone number? I don't know.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:17 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I'd contact them right away. I'd also collect as much evidence as possible even if it is only you and your friend making a written record of what happened to her. You might also want to file a complaint with the sheriff -- so he can't plead ignorance -- and file with NM consumer affairs.

A near contemporary record is better than your recollection months later at a hearing or something of that sort and complaints filed soon after the event seem more potent than those filed months later.

"State Protection and Advocacy Agency

Each State has a protection and advocacy agency that receives funding from the Federal Center for Mental Health Services. Agencies are mandated to protect and advocate for the rights of people with mental illnesses and to investigate reports of abuse and neglect in facilities that care for or treat individuals with mental illnesses. These facilities, which may be public or private, include hospitals, nursing homes, community facilities, board and care homes, homeless shelters, jails, and prisons. Agencies provide advocacy services or conduct investigations to address issues that arise during transportation or admission to such facilities, during residency in them, or within 90 days after discharge from them. Contact: James Jackson, Executive Director
Protection and Advocacy System
1720 Louisiana Boulevard NE, Suite 204
Albuquerque, NM 87110
Phone: 505-256-3100 (TDD)
Toll-free: 800-432-4682 (Statewide)
Fax: 505-256-3184
E-mail: info@nmpanda.org
Internet: www.nmpanda.org
Spanish language assistance available"
This is very helpful information. Thank you so much, Devin.

~Clair

Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
This is very helpful information. Thank you so much, Devin.

~Clair
Thank you, Clair, for sharing this experience with us.

Incidentally, my wife is a therapist and has published several articles. She is currently writing articles on depression and would be interested in hearing from anyone with a story or experience to share. Of she would write about nothing without permission and would protect identities if that is what is desired.

She is currently focusing on artists and depression, but is interest in anything concerned with depression.

If you have something to share -- You could send your email address to me by direct message and I'd pass it on to her.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:13 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Devin! Thanks for your input on this. Sent you a pm on it. My own take on depression. Imagine a black cloud continuously following you around. Or being at the bottom of a 100 foot well and you can see light up there, but can't figure out how to get up to it. Another take. Next time you use your binoculars, use them backwards. A long time back, that was my perception of life, living in a narrow tunnel with everything far, far, far away from you. When you wear down physically, depression can be brutal. Real brutal. I know.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Clairz, I am so sorry that this happened to your friend! I was shocked beyond words, when I read your beginning post! My best friend takes anti-depressants, and it is an absolute must for her. She is not a danger to anyone else, but her chemistry is such that she must have a little help. Otherwise, her body is so out of balance, that her mood swings can vary greatly, like going on a rollercoaster ride, you know, the massive highs, and the sudden deep lows. I've seen her during those times, (such as a switch in meds, etc.), and without her proper medication, I would be deeply concerned for her well-being.

My daughter has also been taking medication, because we found that she apparently suffers from seasonal disorder. It really hits her hard, during the winter, as she and her husband live in Germany, (he's in the Air Force), and they live for weeks at a time, without any sunshine. Having grown up here in Florida, she has always been used to lots of sunshine, even during the winter, so being in Germany the last four years has been difficult, during the winter time. She found it very difficult to even function, and would get very depressed. It frustrated me, because like all moms, I wanted to help her, but being so far away, there was nothing I could do. I was grateful when she found a doctor who gave her a decent medication. It helped her tremendously!

I have to say, if that silly therapist in Roswell said that your friend was not oriented to time and place, we'd all be in trouble. I use a calendar, to keep track of my days. Does this doctor not do the same? I have to look at it all the time, to make sure which day it is, especially since my husband is on leave at the moment, (round two, in his cancer battle), because sometimes the days just simply blur into one another. And names? Shoot, I've mixed up my own two kids' names since they were little, (frustrates them to no end, I can tell you!). But, guess what? I really do know them, one from the other. I also can't remember my cell phone number. Would that also qualify me as needing help?

I hope, and pray, that your friend is continuing to feel better! She is very fortunate to have a friend like you!
CelticLady, thank you for your very kind post. I wish you and your husband the very best and hope that the cancer treatment is successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico