Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 03:43 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times

Advertisements

This is an article I found at the airport while browsing around the last few days.

Quote:
Clayton has the distinction of being the first town in the United States authorized by the Post Office Department as an airmail canceling office.
A Union County Fair was being held in Clayton. The committee in charge of entertainment evolved a scheme to have an airplane make flights from the fairgrounds to the post office; also to take passengers on the ground for a plane ride. In 1914 airplanes aroused avid curiosity. A temporary Post Office was set up. A special cancellation stamp, issued by the Post Office at Washington, was used for canceling stamps on letters and cards. On this stamp was engraved “First Aeroplane Post Office, September 10, 1914, Clayton, New Mexico.”
Everyone at the fairgrounds took advantage of the opportunity to mail postcards and letters – 1cent for postcards, 2 cents for letters. The pouch was dropped by plane on the site f the old Eklund residence directly South of the Pioneer Garage. The Post Office was in a building occupied by Myron Sachse and his Ideal Grocery Store.
The aviator of the plane were brought from El Paso. The plane was shipped by express in three crates. John and Wheeler Hill, owners of the Hill Brothers Transport Company, hauled the crates to the fairgrounds and assisted In putting the plane together. J. Floyd Smith owned the plane and couldn't get it off the ground. He concluded the altitude was too high so he souped up the gasoline and the plane rose 500 feet in the air.
The Clayton News of September 12, 1914, carried an ad for Smith guaranteeing two flights daily and inviting people to “come see the Flying Machine Fly.” Very few people in Union County had ever seen an aeroplane in flight and this was a chance to see demonstrated the “greatest invention of the age.”
Smith performed according to his word and carried much mail and many passengers. The New praised him saying “J. Floyd Smith, one of the finest aviators in the United States, gave the county people a wonderful flight exhibition during the fair which was highly appreciated by all who saw it. He gave two performances each day and carried the mail from the Fair Grounds to the Post office downtown to be mailed out every afternoon about 5 O'Clock. His machine resembles a big grasshopper and sailed through the air as light and graceful as a bird.”
This isnt on my website yet so its an "exclusive" to City Data hehe.
I do have pictures (four of em) of the plane and pilot too which I will put up over the next few days.

In the mean time these are two Russian jets the white is Tornado and not sure what the other one is. They have the race turbines on em and where on their way to the Reno races. We fueled em up. They will be back. Fantastic site to see and the feel as they where taking off.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 05:36 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Great info AND cool pics! Thanks for posting them for us Brian!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:32 PM

Not many people know about the airmail.
The plains where fantastic!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:48 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times
Default A question

Great Photos!!!

A question for you -- why does Clayton have reverse speed bumps -- those depressions that run across the road?

Are they your storm drains?

Seriously, have you ever thought about putting something up to alert out-of-towners to them? The first one gave me kind of a jolt the other day.

Nice town -- beautiful country around it.

Best

Old 09-15-2008, 08:55 AM

To be honest Devin I have no idea why they are there.
I originally thought it was for drainage when I moved here but they just fill up with water.
If you came from the Boise City road (56/412) there is a sign to slow down to 15MPH for bumps, not sure about the other direction though.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If you came from the Boise City road (56/412) there is a sign to slow down to 15MPH for bumps, not sure about the other direction though.
I came in that way -- I guess I missed the sign. I slowed down some but not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico