Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Sounds a little racist. Ok, now my take.

My parents lived in LA for years but ended up moving back to SF because of the prejudice in LA towards Hispanics.

I attended SFHS and went to a SF-LA basketball game in LA and the LA crowd had numerous signs with rude and insulting remarks towards the cheerleaders and their ethic persuasion.

LA is elitist, racist and prejudice. Unless you are white.
You should see the games between Espanola & LA when i went to espanola, yikes.. and still till this day.. last year i went to a few EV LA games for basketball, pretty crazy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Just wondering - If you move into an area where the majority of the people speak a different language and have a different culture why wouldn't you learn the language and try to understand the culture?

When I move to NM I certainly will try to do both.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Sounds a little racist. Ok, now my take.

My parents lived in LA for years but ended up moving back to SF because of the prejudice in LA towards Hispanics.

I attended SFHS and went to a SF-LA basketball game in LA and the LA crowd had numerous signs with rude and insulting remarks towards the cheerleaders and their ethic persuasion.

LA is elitist, racist and prejudice. Unless you are white.

You have read a bit too far into the post.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,187,711 times
While there's a bit of a "when in rome" sentiment there, which I can agree with, NM is multifaceted enough that there isn't one language or one culture.

If 10% of the people in a community look, walk and talk just like you, then walking/talking/looking like the other 90% seems to be more an affront to your right to be who you want, rather than blending in. To some, being different from the others is the very core of a distinct culture.

Don't think it was meant in this fashion, but New Mexicans speak English, first and foremost. The signs are all in English (except certain billboards in certain areas), and there's less than half the bilingualism in print one might find in, say, Ontario.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
You should see the games between Espanola & LA when i went to espanola, yikes.. and still till this day.. last year i went to a few EV LA games for basketball, pretty crazy..

Nevermind.

Confusion with abbreviations.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,032,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Well your wrong on the number of liquor licences, there is only 6 threw out the city, and your right not everybody is a bad person from there i mean most of my friends that graduated from espanola went to georgetown and duke, i decided to go to csu, but espanola is a safe city, EVHS is a nationaly ranked high school.. buddy you wont get shot, i will tell all the gang bangers to hide out just so you can pass by

Are crime stats are the same as los alamos btw.. same amount of everything except los alamos had more arson.
btw: espanola doesnt have drug problems, there in the neigboring communities like alcalde and velarde, not even chimayo is bad for drugs.. but of course if you tell someone its "dangerous" people tend to belive becuase the human mind is like a sponge.

Los Alamos is the Safest city in NM, it must not be that bad

Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Los Alamos is the Safest city in NM, it must not be that bad

WTF?!?!? where did you hear that from, hahah sorry, it just caught my attention, i'm sorry but where ever you saw that, was a total lie haha

Old 09-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Yeah... all those engineers are dangerous.

Murder by science!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Ekk.. meth labs arent safe! Even someone from the big city should know that!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:18 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
You claim not to want to bash but you seem a little defensive about Espanola vs. Los Alamos. Do you have any suggestions to help the two communities get along?

I'm curious to hear more as I'm pursuing a job that's at LANL but was hoping Espanola would make a good middle-ground between Santa Fe and Los Alamos.
I like Espanola, shopping and dining there -- everyone is warm and friendly that I meet. It does seem to have a drug problem, though.

Another middle ground between Santa Fe and Los Alamos is the Pojoaque Valley -- predominantly Hispanic and three Pueblos but a long tradition of people getting along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico