Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 12,273 times

Advertisements

I really truly love both towns, and love that we live in a truly multicultural place. Espanola has a great community college (Northern) with a wide class offering and excellent teachers, the Fiber Arts Center, the Boomerang Thrift boutique, some really good independent grocery stores and a wonderful animal shelter. Espanola has all the "funkiness" that Los Alamos is missing. Los Alamos has the quirky geek culture,a superb trail system, a wonderful ski hill, great music (like the Concert Association and the free summer concerts), good restaurants (and that wasn't always the case), I'm really sorry that people still think we're elitist here- we've been struggling with that one for as long as I've lived in New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 AM

195 posts, read 421,053 times
I've been in Santa Fe two years, and I have never taken the time to go up north, and now that my car hasn't worked in a month, I regret that decision. Yes I have been told about both communities, but I'm the type who would like to check out stuff myself before making a judgment call. I hope someday I will get the chance to check out both communities.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I wouldn't want to live within 30 miles of a super-collider.
you have a much-much-much-much greater chance of choking to death on a chicken bone than being in a super collider accident.

Don't live your life in fear.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
In Espanola vally the krqe news 13 news said that Espanola was the dangerous city in nm. People thought that abq was more crimimal because of the size of the city but actually it came in 8th place as criminal and Roswell came in 2nd place

Los Alamos was the safest city in nm but of course there are steal drugs around the city but otherwise it's a calm city, lovington nm is the 2nd safest city

Old 03-22-2016, 07:16 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Why do you ask, OP? I've heard the stories about drugs, etc. in Espanola, but I have a number of friends who live there, and they live perfectly peacefully as one would in any other town. They're not aware of the problems. Espanola has a relatively high percentage of Native American residents from the surrounding tribes, as well as Hispanics and Anglos. It's great if you like diversity. Los Alamos, on the other hand, is very Anglo, fwiw. The Hispanics and Native Americans who work there commute up there from the communities "down the hill" in the general area.

Each town is distinctive in its own way. I enjoy both of them. That is one New Mexico resident's view.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Our next vacation to NM will include Los Alamos and vicinity. That will probably be in 2018 or so.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:37 PM

100 posts, read 284,370 times
I live in LA because I work at the lab and I like having a five minute commute. I really know nothing about Epanola except that I go there now and again to get a breakfast burrito at Blake's Lottaburger.

LA is a very small town with lots of money because of the lab and all its employees. It's not like the rest of New Mexico since it only came to be with the Manhattan Project in 1943. For example, there is very little adobe here. Many of the homes here were built by the Army Corps of Engineers. Still, there is some neat Manhattan Project themed site seeing in town. The Bradbury Science Museum, historical museum, and Fuller Lodge are all good places to visit.

I haven't heard good things about Espanola but recognize that's all hearsay. Mostly I stay in LA since I like staying close to home.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
What surprises me about Los Alamos is there isn't really a whole lot of businesses for a town that size, especially given the high income of the residents. It seems like there could be some fantastic business opportunities there.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:11 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
What surprises me about Los Alamos is there isn't really a whole lot of businesses for a town that size, especially given the high income of the residents. It seems like there could be some fantastic business opportunities there.
Agreed, the place feels "empty" given the lab and the salaries.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:14 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
LA's had what some might call an anti-business culture for some time (it wasn't that long ago where on Sunday nights there were only 1 or 2 places to eat in town). I think it's way better than it used to be.

Factors:
*Horrible zoning constraints. The topology of the town makes it impossible to say, throw a big building over behind this other building. There's a canyon there.

*Extreme labor costs. Once you run out of local high school students to staff your burger joint, you have to hire people to commute in.

*Local politics. Most of the residents of LA like it the way it is and has been. It still feels frozen in the 1950's in so many ways. You can't just come in and open a Chipotle without substantially more red tape than most businesses will tolerate.

*Breadwinner syndrome. If you are looking for classic 1950's culture, where dad goes to work and mom stays at home with the kids, LA is definitely the closest I've found in my travels. Instead of getting fast food or restaurant meals, mom usually cooks at home. This makes NM's sky-high restaurant patronage rate inapplicable here.

*Gubmint mentality. The federal government runs just about everything in Los Alamos, and this biases slightly toward a population that is non-entrepreneurial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico