U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:12 PM

823 posts, read 3,550,656 times

Advertisements

We will be retiring shortly. We now live in the metropolitan New York City area. We are looking for a place that has moderate temperatures and no tornados or earthquakes. Also want no snow or at least a minimal amount. Is there an area in NM that fits the bill? I have also been told that there are many areas in NM that are bad for allergy sufferers so I would want to avoid them. I would appreciate any information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 04:28 PM

10,203 posts, read 26,061,490 times
Here in Northern NM it gets cold, snows but has clear air.

You might have to look South of Santa Fe, or even Albuquerque. In November I arrived at the airport from the East (where it was snow-less) and found the entire City under snow.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:00 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 3,924,214 times
Las Cruces would probably fit the bill. Weather is about what you discribe. Allergies are going to be an issue no matter where you live though. I never had them till I moved here as a kid. I deal with them though and it's just a month or so out of the year.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Thanks for the replies

TKO I will check out Las Cruces, thanks.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:32 AM

253 posts, read 1,078,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
TKO I will check out Las Cruces, thanks.
Las Cruces weather is not moderate. Temps are extremes to someone like me who also lives on the California coast. Temp outside now (Feb./10 a.m.) is about 47 degrees. Summertime is usually 102-104 degrees. Air is very dry. Elevation is about 4000 feet. Should you move here, give yourself time to adjust to the different oxygen level in the air as opposed to NYC which is coastal. We do have some smog here that blows in *on occasion* from Mexico in the summer. There is a sewage-treatment plant off the 10 freeway near Motel Blvd. Depending on the wind pattern, you may get its odor. Natural "pollution" from blowing dust/sand in the air is more common. BUT- it is better here than Tucson or PHX, I can tell you that right now. About 10 degrees cooler in the summertime and the temp in the summer cools down at night to about 84 degrees. No cicadas screeching all night either. In AZ, you have to keep the A/C on 24/7 = $$$.

~Cali-girl

Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Thanks Cali-girl

That's good stuff to know. The only place in AZ we would consider moving to is the Prescott area which we visited 2 years ago.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 AM

25 posts, read 258,414 times
Question For Norm

Norm,
I'm curious - you said you would consider Prescott but you're also looking at NM. Is there some reason Prescott doesn't fit the bill as much as you'd like? I'm just curious because we are researching the same areas to move to, though we aren't retired (I wish!). Anyway, I'm wondering if you learned something about Prescott that I haven't learned yet. We also want a place with a mild climate and low humidity. There are many other things we're looking for but I won't list them here. Anyway, we visited Prescott last August and loved the climate. Our concerns there are that it's a small town area and most employment is centered around retail or health care. We enjoy a larger city quite a bit so we have reservations about moving to such a small place, even though it's supposedly growing quickly.

Thanks for any info.! Maybe we can share information since we're both researching the same areas.

Jennifer

Old 02-11-2007, 12:16 PM

35 posts, read 149,412 times
New Mexico and Colorado have good weather year round, if your in the mountains its colder and snowier in the winter. Summers are nice in both places.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:09 PM

253 posts, read 1,078,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch928 View Post
Norm,
I'm curious - you said you would consider Prescott but you're also looking at NM. Is there some reason Prescott doesn't fit the bill as much as you'd like? I'm just curious because we are researching the same areas to move to, though we aren't retired (I wish!). Anyway, I'm wondering if you learned something about Prescott that I haven't learned yet. We also want a place with a mild climate and low humidity. There are many other things we're looking for but I won't list them here. Anyway, we visited Prescott last August and loved the climate. Our concerns there are that it's a small town area and most employment is centered around retail or health care. We enjoy a larger city quite a bit so we have reservations about moving to such a small place, even though it's supposedly growing quickly.

Thanks for any info.! Maybe we can share information since we're both researching the same areas. Jennifer
Hi jch928!

A neighbor owns property in Prescott and had intended to retire there. However, this is the word about Prescott:

The locals are very exclusionary to the point of making it known to newcomers that they are NOT welcome.

We also know another person who moved to Prescott with his young family and who moved back to San Jose after 2 years in Prescott. Same widespread local attitude encountered. Prescott people do not want change: they do not want employers other than the basic ones you stated.

Interestingly, this area in AZ consistently votes to support illegal immigration. Apparently, they are assuming that these "newcomers" just won't move to Prescott.

Instead of Prescott, I would rec Northern San Diego County such as Escondido or Julian.

~Cali-girl

Old 02-11-2007, 04:17 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 3,924,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
Las Cruces weather is not moderate. Temps are extremes to someone like me who also lives on the California coast. Temp outside now (Feb./10 a.m.) is about 47 degrees. Summertime is usually 102-104 degrees. Air is very dry. Elevation is about 4000 feet. Should you move here, give yourself time to adjust to the different oxygen level in the air as opposed to NYC which is coastal. We do have some smog here that blows in *on occasion* from Mexico in the summer. There is a sewage-treatment plant off the 10 freeway near Motel Blvd. Depending on the wind pattern, you may get its odor. Natural "pollution" from blowing dust/sand in the air is more common. BUT- it is better here than Tucson or PHX, I can tell you that right now. About 10 degrees cooler in the summertime and the temp in the summer cools down at night to about 84 degrees. No cicadas screeching all night either. In AZ, you have to keep the A/C on 24/7 = $$$.

~Cali-girl
We average 2 weeks a year over 100. Even than it cools down to 70's at night. Sewer plant is only an issue if you live within a mile of it. Not the places retirees tend to congregate. Smog, ef 3 or 4 days year and it's in the winter due to inversion. Wind brings dust no way around that. I cool with a swamp cooler all year and my max electric bill is $80. 47 today, it was 73 yesterday and the day before it 68.

From the National Weather Serivice

"This Afternoon: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. Breezy, with a west southwest wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph."

Last edited by LLD; 02-11-2007 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: removed personal commentary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>