Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:55 PM

144 posts, read 698,507 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Does anyone have any tips with buying souvenirs? I'm looking for some authentic New Mexican souvenirs (e.g. jewelry, pottery, etc.) that I can take back to Florida. I know there are souvenir shops in the area, but some of them have stuff that looks like they are made in China.

Thanks!

P.S. Lotaburger is not all that. The dining reviews that I've read stated that it's a must have burger. I got one yesterday, and it was a bit greasy. The green chilis were also just blah. Not the same quality as other New Mexican places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:21 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
For Socorro, recommend the mineral museum on the NMT campus. Perhaps the bookstore also but it's got made in china stuff.
For a town of under 10k, what more could anyone ask?

Albuquerque, recommend old town. Store after store of mostly-not-made-in-China stuff.

I won't defend Lotaburger, but at least there are multiple alternative burger places, many which can add gc too. In 'n Out Burger would be pretty crappy too if you had to hire them from the same labor pool.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
I have never had a bad hamburger at Lotaburger. But I would guess any place has its critics.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 PM

56 posts, read 222,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qacer View Post
Hi all!

Does anyone have any tips with buying souvenirs? I'm looking for some authentic New Mexican souvenirs (e.g. jewelry, pottery, etc.) that I can take back to Florida. I know there are souvenir shops in the area, but some of them have stuff that looks like they are made in China.

Thanks!

P.S. Lotaburger is not all that. The dining reviews that I've read stated that it's a must have burger. I got one yesterday, and it was a bit greasy. The green chilis were also just blah. Not the same quality as other New Mexican places.
Zoidberg is right, try any of the shops in Old Town. A lot of the locals sell their art work/jewelry in all of those great little shops. And also, to put my 2cents in; I love Blakes Lotaburger. It may be a hit/miss on the grease level, but it's a cheap burger that's not McDonalds!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
Lota Burger - they can be hit or miss. I have had some really good Lota Burger green chile burgers and some really bad ones. Some locations are just really bad. Why should it be so difficult to make a good hamburger?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Try Manny's Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio just south (10 miles) of Socorro on Rt 380E.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,325 times
Lotaburger use to be much better. Several years ago they were bought out by an Ohio company. They let a bunch of the long time dedicated employs go when they bought them out due to pay. Now you would be lucky to find a person that speaks english at most of the lotaburgers. The quality has really taken a nose dive. IMO

I agree with GregW on the manny's recomendation. I have always gotten a good green chile burger their. Stay away from the owl accross the street they have not served a good burger in ten years or so.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 PM

150 posts, read 792,216 times
Just a friendly warning.
Beware that there are non-authentic Native American arts & crafts being sold throughout Albuquerque. Don't assume for instance that an "Indian Rug," is a Navajo Rug. It's probably made in Mexico, by Mexican Indians! If the price is too good to believe...it's probably not authentic. You get (hopefully) what you pay for after all.
Most of Old Town's stores have good reputations.
I'd also highly recommend stopping in at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center's stores on north 12th or 14th Street...forgot which...but near Old Town, and just a block off I-40. All of their jewelry, pots, Kachina dolls, rugs, etc. are "authentic," and considering that, their prices are reasonable also.
"Native American" restaurant, museum, permanant exhibit also...colorful dances on weekends at around 12-noon, and 2p.m.
If you are looking for Silver and Turquoise jewelry, another good place is the Turquoise Museum (and shop), next to the Walgreens, across from the SW corner of Old Town. (Rio Grande Blvd. & Central Ave., a.k.a. Old "Route 66")
Old Town's prices will be below Santa Fe's in almost all cases.
Much more relaxing place to shop also!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
My favorite place to buy New Mexico woven crafts (rugs, blankets, pillows, etc.) is Ortega's in Chimayo. Warning: it is very pricey. When I buy anything there it is a splurge.

Another place I love and which has low prices is Tapetes de Lana on the plaza in Las Vegas. This is a non profit organization which is a cottage industry that teaches members of low income families the art of weaving, and which sells their products in their Las Vegas store or one in Mora, NM. I find it a very cool place and your purchase helps a new weaver who needs the income.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 PM

17 posts, read 112,695 times
We love this place in old town, Albq. Trust me--if we are looking for that special piece--they got it. I have no financial interest at all in this place!
Also--Earl's in Gallup,NM route 66-(also there food is to die for) Fri. night/dinner or Sat.AM breakfast! (they let the native american/artist) to move thru the restaurant-we have got some of our best deals EVER!
Oh, I forgot Gertrude's has there own artist's, and native people who work just for them, and there web site does them no justice!

Gertrude Zachary :: Specializing in Southwestern American Indian jewelry - Antiques

Last edited by rockyinbaja; 07-09-2007 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico