Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,921,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If the peak was 84 what was the mean?
Here's the NOAA data for the El Paso Airport on Friday, 03/26/2010:

Quote:
WIND (MPH)
HIGHEST WIND SPEED 56 HIGHEST WIND DIRECTION W (270)
HIGHEST GUST SPEED 84 HIGHEST GUST DIRECTION W (260)
AVERAGE WIND SPEED 21.4
Not sure how to derive a mean from the above information since the "average" takes in a 24 hour period. Perhaps "highest wind" is during the peak winds in the afternoon and represents the highest sustained wind during that period?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 05:10 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,238,532 times
Yesterday was a doosey. The wind peeled a metal roof from a home in Elephant Butte. Hopefully they'll use more screws to secure it during the repair. It was probably a bad hair day statewide, for those of us who still have a lick.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Looks like I could run the house/shop on a couple of wind turbines. Thanks for ressurecting this thread.
That plus solar. You could probably sell electric back to PNM??

Old 04-03-2010, 01:19 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,076 times
I always thought the whole NM wind thing was overdone, although I think it had more to do with where we lived than anything else.

We lived near Eubank and Juan Tabo in ABQ for three spring seasons, and although it was occasionally windy with some decent gusts, it wasn't bad. I found it to be windier on the plains of Okla than up in the NE Heights. I think it's a different story over on the west side of ABQ. There were many times we'd see dust across the entire west side, with nary a trace up in the Heights.

The only REAL dust storm we ever encountered was on our one and only trip to Las Cruces - it was literally a brown-out of the dust variety, after which we had to change the car's air filter. I've heard the southern dust storms can be quite bad.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Yes, it do get windy in New Mexico.
Photos taken in T or C and Elephant Butte.
Attached Thumbnails
Wind in New Mexico-roof1.jpg   Wind in New Mexico-roof2.jpg   Wind in New Mexico-roof3.jpg  

Old 04-04-2010, 01:05 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,039,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlander View Post
I always thought the whole NM wind thing was overdone, although I think it had more to do with where we lived than anything else.

We lived near Eubank and Juan Tabo in ABQ for three spring seasons, and although it was occasionally windy with some decent gusts, it wasn't bad. I found it to be windier on the plains of Okla than up in the NE Heights. I think it's a different story over on the west side of ABQ. There were many times we'd see dust across the entire west side, with nary a trace up in the Heights.

The only REAL dust storm we ever encountered was on our one and only trip to Las Cruces - it was literally a brown-out of the dust variety, after which we had to change the car's air filter. I've heard the southern dust storms can be quite bad.

I think the whole wind in NM is overdone also, ABQ is only windy in the spring, and not even that often, its perfect for the rest of the year, Eastern NM is windy all the time and in the winter really sucks, wind and cold SUCKS, Farmington aint bad but I have heard Deming and Cruces is reallly windy, cant speak on that though.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:12 AM

The people I've met who came from Deming say the wind is much worse there than T or C and Elephant Butte. I don't know what people consider worse or overdone, nothing beats a whole roof being uplifted and torn off. That's kind of like tornado force, I would think.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ring-roof2.jpg

Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,284,715 times
This was last week out my back door...yuck

Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,921,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
This was last week out my back door...yuck

Give another meaning to the term 'brown out' doesn't it! Here in Ruidoso we see 'white outs' as much of the White Sands blows through on such days. And if there happens to be a sprinkle of rain along with the white out it can leave a white film on your car as if you'd been parked in salt spray at the beach.

Hold onto your hat again tomorrow - Monday, April 5 - as another day of brown skies and sandblasting is forecast.

PS Deming and Lordsburg have to be the worst for dust storms, even though the winds can be just as strong in other areas of the state. It's common to close down IH-10 on the worst days. The past week the highway was shut down for about six hours during the afternoon, according to my neighbor who hit a NMHP road block when attempting to enter IH-10 from Silver City area.

Last edited by jaxart; 04-04-2010 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-04-2010, 08:35 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,284,715 times
Deming and Lordsburg have all those salt flats and that's what makes it so bad over there. I always refer to windy days as breathing Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico