Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times

Advertisements

The Fighting Desert Centipedes...the Unchained Pit Bulls...the Cranky Rattlers....The Brave Chile Rellenos... the Terrible Tacos (sponsored by taco bell?) the Pecan Pickers....the Wandering Oryx
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:10 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I lived in the south for awhile. The people I knew were proud of the rebel flag.
I'm not sure why anyone would be offended by it but some people enjoy being offended and go through life like that.
I've been goofy with this thread but I think whatever mascot someone chooses for a school, whatever flag they like, whatever kind of icecream they like, etc. etc. doesn't need to be torn down by someone whose life depends on being offended all the time.
The Stars N Bars Nitwits...much better than Rebels Maybe some of those Rebel flag wavin' teams could be called the "Strange Fruits"....hey, what can I say, I LOVE Billie Holliday! Must be ok, right?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Default Mooo!!!!!!!

Hey, I got it! The cows! After every home game the parents can gather at the school waiting for the players after playing an away game. Waiting till the cows come home! .................................................. ..............................sorry.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Hey, I got it! The cows! After every home game the parents can gather at the school waiting for the players after playing an away game. Waiting till the cows come home! .................................................. ..............................sorry.
Yea like pojoaque.. the Elkettes,..? no such animal.. maybe a cow is the correct version

Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Well he seems like a built cowboy, just wonderin about the face that was there haha..but thats pretty funny.. anyway back to the subject

Naw, he's only about five nine and weighs maybe 110 lbs. Little scrawny fella. Face is cruel. Hence the blocking. But hey, it's a good sales tactic for the mare "Look. She's such a good horse she can carry Lucifer himself on her back and not flinch!".

I've never really encountered problems with this mascot thing. My elementary school was the panthers, my middle the mustangs and my high the patriots. Now what's REALLY funny is when the ***** (Cocke Co. High School) plays the Trojans (West High). The kids think so, anyway.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,645 times
Why on earth would towns with such a strong Catholic culture have mascots with such names? Is it cult activity? Were they trying to push an anti-faith agenda? Or maybe....possibly it was because their major rival was the Horsemen...The Saint Michael's Horsemen. St. Michael was the arch angel who is told to have defeated.....the devil. If you were a public school kid trying to come up with a mascot mean enough to scare those Catholic private school kids, what better mascot than the Demon's to go against St. Michael's Horsemen. No hidden agendas, no secret plans to ruin our youth, just good high school fun. Does anybody remember that? As a former Horsemen I can tell you the Demon's were looked on with a mix of good anger and respect given to any high school rival and we would have been disappointed with anything less to challenge us. Where does it end? At some point to Animal Rights Activists have a say in the unnecessary portrayal of various animals as aggressive and dangerous? Do we need softer, more commercial mascots:

The Santa Fe High School Eclectic High End SouthWestern Art Gallery Owners. The mascot could completely ignore anyone not obviously interested in making a purchase of team gear.

The Santa Fe High School Turistas. Their mascot could come out in khakis and a polo and by the end of the game leave in silver adorned boots, an indian patterned coat in colors the indians could never have imagined and enough giant turquoise and silver jewelry to cover them from head to toe. Every time they made a touchdown the crowd could 'call the coyote' and the mascot's pet, a pink coyote with a turquoise bandana, could race around the stadium.

Don't even get me started on the 'Fall Celebration'. Festivus for the rest of us.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Why on earth would towns with such a strong Catholic culture have mascots with such names? Is it cult activity? Were they trying to push an anti-faith agenda? Or maybe....possibly it was because their major rival was the Horsemen...The Saint Michael's Horsemen. St. Michael was the arch angel who is told to have defeated.....the devil. If you were a public school kid trying to come up with a mascot mean enough to scare those Catholic private school kids, what better mascot than the Demon's to go against St. Michael's Horsemen. No hidden agendas, no secret plans to ruin our youth, just good high school fun. Does anybody remember that? As a former Horsemen I can tell you the Demon's were looked on with a mix of good anger and respect given to any high school rival and we would have been disappointed with anything less to challenge us. Where does it end? At some point to Animal Rights Activists have a say in the unnecessary portrayal of various animals as aggressive and dangerous? Do we need softer, more commercial mascots:

The Santa Fe High School Eclectic High End SouthWestern Art Gallery Owners. The mascot could completely ignore anyone not obviously interested in making a purchase of team gear.

The Santa Fe High School Turistas. Their mascot could come out in khakis and a polo and by the end of the game leave in silver adorned boots, an indian patterned coat in colors the indians could never have imagined and enough giant turquoise and silver jewelry to cover them from head to toe. Every time they made a touchdown the crowd could 'call the coyote' and the mascot's pet, a pink coyote with a turquoise bandana, could race around the stadium.

Don't even get me started on the 'Fall Celebration'. Festivus for the rest of us.

Catholic culture? Sure Espanola has it, but i dont think that religion should be a factor in this, obviously a catholic high school such as st. mikes should have a mascot purtaining to the religion since its a private catholic school, evhs has had the "devil" mascot since 1976 a group of seniors that were in fact christians came up with the mascot, why? well.. for one its different..and public schools should have to follow catholic or religion guidelines at all, it was also something that most of the student body voted for. The whole reason this started in Espanola was becuase the students and fans at the EVHS games would chant "Devils!" "Devils!" this wasnt a conflict with the parents.. it was with religious groups and older memebers of the community that graduated from the older espanola high their mascot was a hornet, it closed in 1974. In my opinion i wish those whom didnt wanna hear students shout "Devils" shouldnt go to the games, its as simple as that.. its not like they are worshiping the devil.. they are cheering their fellow classmates/athletes. As of last week the problem got so bad.. now the cheerleaders cant even say "Devils!" "Devils!" no longer.. as a former resident of the valley it really got me angry to hear that there was a propsed change.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:13 PM

I wasn't trying to suggest that religion should be a factor. I was pointing out that the names arose despite religion because they fit the rivalries for the local schools and shouldn't be second guessed because some peoples sensitivities have changed. It's very telling to me that people never ask for the mascot's name to be put up for a vote to see if the majority shares their view. They only express that they want it changed. I absolutely agree with you bradly that if you don't like what's on the channel, feel free to change the station. Just don't tell me what to watch.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
I wasn't trying to suggest that religion should be a factor. I was pointing out that the names arose despite religion because they fit the rivalries for the local schools and shouldn't be second guessed because some peoples sensitivities have changed. It's very telling to me that people never ask for the mascot's name to be put up for a vote to see if the majority shares their view. They only express that they want it changed. I absolutely agree with you bradly that if you don't like what's on the channel, feel free to change the station. Just don't tell me what to watch.
Well a committee had signatures from 654 residences of the valley to change it, but the 1,180 students all voted in favor to keep the mascot it had overided the committees decision but further steps were taken after the committees proposal was shot down, their efforts were to change it back to a hornet which is why this all started.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 AM

Typical reaction these days: if you officially lose, circumvent the process and purpose. I wonder if the 654 residences who took the time to meddle in a High School they no longer attend will take the time to vote in the Presidential election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico