Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 PM

908 posts, read 2,858,217 times

Advertisements

I do remember that about the 'Sun. Personally, after watching Santa Fe transform I'd be taking stacks of the sun and giving out to anyone on 84/285 with California plates. Hell with them if that's what they want to see/believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,945 times
Others have always tried to create a better paper, but it never has happened.. we need a positive paper.. like Los Alamos, but even there paper is become corrupt too!
but your right let them belive crap that never really has its actual facts or sources..

Its funny i will always remember when i was in track, this kid from taos said these same words..:
"your from espanola, is it safe there? i heard you can get shot" i started to laugh since taos and espanola are the exact same when it comes to the background of people, but its what a certain thing a person says will stick in the human mind because its a spunge really.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 AM

19 posts, read 46,778 times
I don't think it's appropriate. Yes, I'm religious, but even if I were not I don't think I would want a mascot that represents pure evil & destruction...I just don't it's appropriate for a public school.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 AM

908 posts, read 2,858,217 times
I think a freshman entering high school is old enough to differentiate between the idea of a mascot and actual demons invoking powers of the dark side to wreak havoc on humanity. A freshman entering high school is unlikely to have never come across the concept or image of a demon, devils or the devil. Especially one who grew up in northern New Mexico. I heard about sin and the devil as soon as I was able to do something wrong and hear about it.

I don't see any evidence that exposure to the image or chanting leads to disturbed thoughts or behaviors. There are generations of graduates from 'Demon High' in Santa Fe and no connection has ever been reported connecting this army of demons to increased crime or diabolical behavior in New Mexico.

People have played Dungeons & Dragons since the early 70's, literally role playing a world filled with fanciful creatures and demons. In the late 70's and early 80's people talked about the 'evils' of playing the game; About it's ungodly nature. Here we are almost 40 years later. Countless kids have grown up playing the game. The game is in it's 4th or 5th generation and yet no cult of brainwashed or tainted people has surfaced. No secret army of the twisted. Hell, there hasn't even been a crazy guy that cited D&D in his past as an inspiration. On odds alone you would have figured that one of these crazy news stories over the past couple decades would have cited a connection.

I appreciate your opinion. I think it's fair for the concern to be raised. I just think it's ridiculous that after the majority considered the issue and voted democratically that a minority would continue to press the issue. If any other minority tried to push their agenda on a majority, people would be talking of un-American behavior. Do it under the banner of faith and it's whatever you say is right.

If The Lord is so loving, why is he so involved and picky about the details of our existence, using it to decide who will stay and who will go? I think a lot of these things are not about what God would want for us; they're about what the church (men) need to expand the religion's power.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 AM

464 posts, read 1,159,499 times
Common sense thinking seems to be losing ground and "PC" taking over these days.

We were The Wildcats {no we weren't "wild" } and our biggest rivels were the Blue Devils {ooooowa scary! }

Never Ever crossed our minds back then that, they were "Devils" at all, of any color, LMBO!

Sheeeesh. Idle minds.............

My 2¢

Tia Dalma

Old 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM

717 posts, read 1,958,089 times
Expansion of religious power is what most religionists are all about. It's usually the same with any religion in any region of the globe. Orgainized religions tend to confer power among those who direct them (an unspoken prime directive often enough)...and you know how addicted to power most of humanity has always been!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM

464 posts, read 1,159,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Expansion of religious power is what most religionists are all about. It's usually the same with any religion in any region of the globe. Orgainized religions tend to confer power among those who direct them (an unspoken prime directive often enough)...and you know how addicted to power most of humanity has always been!!!

Dracul, I also see it additionally as wanting an "all" inclusionary {or should that be exclusionary }, non-offending at all cost, push for what ever
appears/feels {good} political correctness- Over-board. Word, deed, thought. Not simply/necessarily a religious flavor to this, always.
Many, what would be a word here, not sure? 'seculars'? subscribe to this
You know what I mean. And I'm not saying to Not include, about anyone.

Ya can't say Boo! to anyone these days as it might "hurt their feelings" sort of thing.

For example, they say folks won't/don't Barter or bargin like in the past be-cause: They are embarrassed or don't want to insult anyone. Sooooo they pay full price, when "a deal" might have saved them- alot

Just another/different- pov, I guess

Tia Dalma

Last edited by TiaDalma; 11-14-2008 at 01:46 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 01:33 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDragonFlyxx View Post
I don't think it's appropriate. Yes, I'm religious, but even if I were not I don't think I would want a mascot that represents pure evil & destruction...I just don't it's appropriate for a public school.
Dude its a High School, not an Elementary school..A group of Christian students voted yes on the mascot in 87'
A public school should have any mascot it wants, i think admin of EPS and SFPS should think of more productive ideas,..like maybe how to raise test scores!..or improve their run down schools.
I'm that guy that says where is the seperation of church and state

Old 01-31-2009, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,562 times
The Santa Fe HS mascot looks like it's puking flames.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,242,877 times
Don't forget Underwood's Deviled Ham. They used to run clever commercials with the line "I AM the devil",and I don't recall anyone being upset about it. (It really is good on crackers!)

Surely a sports team calling itself the Devils is above criticism. One of the big college basketball teams calls itself the 'Blue Devils' (Duke? I can't remember because I don't follow basketball). I don't think anyone raised an objection. After all, if you're a fan, you want them to give the other team h---, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico