Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 AM

12 posts, read 36,808 times

Advertisements

Dont really think I want to live in the montains..... I would think its colder there.....not sure but would like it a little warmer Dont mind the city too much remember I am coming from MD so I think NM city life would still be slower than what we are use to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 PM

12 posts, read 36,808 times
can anyone tell me the pros and cons of rio rancho and paradise hills

Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 AM

125 posts, read 453,467 times
Well one thing you'll notice right away is there aren't any other african americans in New Mexico.

Well okay there's a few in Albuquerque but you'll feel REALLY weird because you'll be surrounded by white people, hispanics and some Indians. It's not going to be at all like Maryland where there's lots of African Americans (I know because I worked in that area for several years.)

As for the weather, well it gets cold in winter, enough for coats and gloves, but not as bad as MD.

As for black salons, I don't think there's any in all of NM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaela1 View Post
hello we are moving to nm iam really nervous. I have school age children and we are a african american family. i am a hair stylist so i was wondering about black salons in nm. and also about the climate we are moving from maryland and i hate the cold so how are the winters do you need coats and heat or is it mild. thanks for any info you can offer

Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 AM

125 posts, read 453,467 times
Nice, safe, crime free, white suburbs.

Cons of rio rancho is its sort of a far commute from Albuquerque. Also it's on a mesa so it gets a lot of wind and sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaela1 View Post
can anyone tell me the pros and cons of rio rancho and paradise hills

Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 PM

390 posts, read 952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I can't answer the questions that you've asked so far but I wanted to welcome you to the NM forum Michaela.
(It's going to be my first winter here and so far I haven't needed a coat.)
Yes, also want to welcome you to New Mexico. I live about 170 miles south of Albuquerque. So any questions in that area I can answer.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 PM

390 posts, read 952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmposting View Post
Well one thing you'll notice right away is there aren't any other african americans in New Mexico.

Well okay there's a few in Albuquerque but you'll feel REALLY weird because you'll be surrounded by white people, hispanics and some Indians. It's not going to be at all like Maryland where there's lots of African Americans (I know because I worked in that area for several years.)

As for the weather, well it gets cold in winter, enough for coats and gloves, but not as bad as MD.

As for black salons, I don't think there's any in all of NM!!
Not sure that I would agree with you on this one. Ft. Stanton was home to the Buffalo Soldiers plus we have a great number of military retired folks here. Albuquerque has a strong and very active African-American community and certain that their will be salons that will welcome your skills. The population is small and I would guess at about 2-5%. But, I think you will find New Mexico to be a very welcoming state with African-Americans in every area of the city. Again, welcome to New Mexico.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:42 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Default some linx for you, welcome!

I googled black new mexico, and this is what I found:
NMBLACK.COM - Link to New Mexico Soul Community!
The African American Community in Albuquerque, New Mexico (http://www.abqarts.org/cultural/survey/african-amer-cs.htm - broken link)
Here's a link to city data's statistics of albuquerque, if you're moving within the next few moths, you'll really be coming here when the weather and climate are in moderation.
//www.city-data.com/city/Albuqu...ew-Mexico.html

Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
caydriver disagreed:

> Originally Posted by mmposting
> > Well one thing you'll notice right away is there aren't
> > any other african americans in New Mexico.

> Not sure that I would agree with you on this one. ...

To say "there aren't any" is a huge exaggeration.

However, I remember talking to a black co-worker from Alabama
who noticed the relative dearth of negro features to be found
in the faces around Albuquerque.

She wasn't bothered, particularly, but found it strange.

Many towns back East have black populations in the 25% to 50%
range so that some parts are nearly all black and some parts are
less, but you almost never go into a restaurant that is busy, for
instance, and find yourself the only person of African descent.

It's always going to be "different," but shouldn't be any more of
an adjustment than noticing that the vegetation is different.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:23 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,933 times
Whoa, Morty-boy: "negro features" ????? I have not heard that term used in many years. Not politically correct are we now?! Yikes!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:15 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Black New Mexico History, some were cowboys, some were trappers among other occupations.
The African American Community in Albuquerque, New Mexico (http://www.abqarts.org/cultural/survey/african-amer-cs.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico