Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 AM

946 posts, read 3,271,568 times

Advertisements

Judge upends state well-permit law - SantaFeNewMexican.com

This may be bad news for people who have bought property assuming that they will be able to drill a domestic well someday.

Apparently it has been automatic that you could get a permit. Now -- maybe that is in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 02:25 PM

104 posts, read 377,228 times
It was coming for a long time. A well may be possible but with another hoop to jump. The state engineer now requires that you have a water rights investigation before you drill to avoid cutting into historic water rights. With about 2 percent of the state area as surface water, most water comes from ground water sources.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,617,758 times
The decision only applies to Grant, Hidalgo and Luna Counties for now. I would not assume anything as to other counties for now. However, if you want a domestic well, you better apply for one now if you are in other counties, because the legislature may act on this next session. Get that application in.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
The decision only applies to Grant, Hidalgo and Luna Counties for now. I would not assume anything as to other counties for now. However, if you want a domestic well, you better apply for one now if you are in other counties, because the legislature may act on this next session. Get that application in.
IDK -- but I'd guess that the ruling will soon be extended to any place where the facts are similar to the particular case. That is, anywhere the water rights are fully taken, appropriated -- whatever the word is.

Also IDK -- but my understanding is that current permits have been for three acre feet -- which is the same it has been for years. I'd guess that number will start coming down in the absence of some extraordinary justification.

But I am certainly open to be corrected on any of this.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:14 PM

2,253 posts, read 7,000,758 times
Wink Water situation?

Remember the Anasazi?

One big factor affecting wells, vegetation, and most everything else is global climate change. It seems the severe die off of piñon around Santa Fe and points north may have been influenced by this. And the National Park Service says the severe Pine Beetle infestation of north central Colorado is. So one might wonder just how viable a home in the American Southwest will be in the decades to come?

For those interested, here is a link to one of these studies (Scientific Assessment of the Effects Global Change on the United States):
Scientific Assessment

Old 07-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Remember the Anasazi?

One big factor affecting wells, vegetation, and most everything else is global climate change. It seems the severe die off of piñon around Santa Fe and points north may have been influenced by this. And the National Park Service says the severe Pine Beetle infestation of north central Colorado is. So one might wonder just how viable a home in the American Southwest will be in the decades to come?

Scientific Assessment
Also -- independent of climate change -- we may just be using too much and the aquifer starts dropping. As I understand it -- and I am a neophyte here -- Santa Fe and ABQ have bought some water rights and will pipe it in. Santa Fe in theory will use the new rights to give the aquifer a rest. IDK what ABQ intends.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
IDK -- but I'd guess that the ruling will soon be extended to any place where the facts are similar to the particular case. That is, anywhere the water rights are fully taken, appropriated -- whatever the word is.

Also IDK -- but my understanding is that current permits have been for three acre feet -- which is the same it has been for years. I'd guess that number will start coming down in the absence of some extraordinary justification.

But I am certainly open to be corrected on any of this.
It is 3 acre feet in most of the state. I think Santa Fe County has been restricting use to 1 acre foot for new wells for a few years now, and in the NPT Basin the Aamodt Court has restricted post moratorium wells to indoor use only. I wonder why they don't first try restricting use to 1 acre foot across the state instead of changing the application process. 1 acre foot of water is more than enough for household use. The problem has been people using their "domestic well" to grow grass, vegetables, flowers and other stuff outdoors. Let's just restrict them all to 1 acre foot, and indoor use only.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 AM

185 posts, read 489,621 times
Default Size matters?

This might be a dumb question, but is the size of the property considered in the water rights determination? In other words, a 20 acre property should not be viewed the same as some developer putting 3 cabins on an acre, should it? Or am I off base here? Thanks

Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 AM

Default Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
This might be a dumb question, but is the size of the property considered in the water rights determination? In other words, a 20 acre property should not be viewed the same as some developer putting 3 cabins on an acre, should it? Or am I off base here? Thanks
Your position is reasonable, but as far as I know size has not mattered so far -- not the sq footage of the house, the acreage of the property, or the number of people living in the house. Everybody just gets a permit to drill a well for three acre feet except as V. points out -- certain areas around Santa Fe, and of course -- areas served by a communal system.

As far as I know Santa Fe doesn't have less water than other places it is just ahead of other places in addressing the question.

But if you could get in now and get your 3 acre feet -- I think that would more than enough water for you.

Again -- I welcome correction from anybody who knows better.

And this was a lower court decision -- might it be overturned???

Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 PM

A Section 72-12-1 well is designed to be used for "relatively small amounts of water", and for:

watering of livestock
irrigation not to exceed one acre of noncommercial trees, lawn or garden
in household or domestic use

Domestic wells normally will be associated with one household, and if more than one you usually have to have as a condition of approval that you are allowed to use the well for multiple households.'

Hogfarmer, if you have a 40 acre property or a 100 acre property, it does not matter for domestic wells. What matters is that you don't irrigate more than one acre of landscape, or use it for more than one household. These days we are moving more and more towards metering, so the primary factor will be that you are not using more than 3 acre feet of water annually. Most households that use water conservatively should be able to get by with fourth of an acre-foot for indoor use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico