U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM

622 posts, read 1,587,893 times

Advertisements

Please share your favorite Beautiful New Mexico hiking spots!

I love to hike, and I want to be able to take my kids on lots of day hikes. I'm also into longer expeditions as well, but with kid scheduling and school etc, etc, day hikes are oftentimes more do-able.

I just loved those pics that HTC posted of the Bisti Badlands! I can't wait to go check it out. (Move date is getting much closer!)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 AM

4,259 posts, read 3,792,121 times
This isn't all hiking. I think they make nice 'kid trips'. Whether it's a day trip for you depends on where you live.

McKittrick Canyon down below Carlsbad near the Texas border is a good day hike to do during the fall with the trees are in color. Guadalupe Mountains National Park - McKittrick Canyon

I would love to do a Moonlight walk at White Sands during the summer. Here is a schedule for their astronomy program that I think would also be of interest to kids. White Sands National Monument - Stargazing (U.S. National Park Service) You can buy round sleds for sliding down the dunes during the day. It's lots of fun for all ages. **Warning the dunes are really hot during mid-day summer, but are nicer during early morning or late afternoon.

I'd also suggest looking into the El Malpais area near Grants. My kids were little so we didn't do any hiking other than to look around. El Malpais National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) Inscription Rock is in this area of the state too. There are pueblo ruins up at the top. El Morro National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

We took our kids to see the Gila Cliff Dwellings. It was an easy walk. It's a nice day visit, but not necessarily a hike. Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) IIRC, it was a long drive through the mountains to get there. We camped to be near the spot.

I don't know if this has any hiking, but my kids loved camping at the City of Rocks. You can put your tent in between the rocks. CityOfRocks

Bandelier is pretty neat. I think there were some trails we didn't follow. We went on a hot day and my kids were still pretty young. Bandelier National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 PM

26,529 posts, read 45,252,127 times
The most convenient for me is along the Rio Grande between the town of Bernalillo and Alameda Blvd in Albuquerque.

This is the route we took today. It is actually in Rio Rancho just on the North border of Corrales.

If it is a day thing, maybe with the grand kids we might go to Sandia Mountain, what you see in the background, about 15 miles away.

I don't really hike that much. I walk my dogs every day, we go about a mile or more.

I/we have walked the Paseo del Bosque trail in segments which is approximately 16 miles from Alameda Blvd. to Rio Bravo Blvd.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-08-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Wow! Thank you both! Very detailed posts- I appreciate it!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 PM

464 posts, read 1,075,578 times
WoW Sarah, fantastic list you posted, and Thanks! That ought to keep Mina busy for a while, LOL

And what a pretty pix Rich, of where you like to walk! That's some long walk

Tia Dalma

Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,374,107 times
My favorite is Trampas Lakes, Trail 31. It takes you here.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:41 PM

464 posts, read 1,075,578 times
Gorgeous! Vinegaroon, it's obvious why you like it Thanks for the pix post!

Tia Dalma

Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Wow Vinegaroon! That is so beautiful! Thank you for posting I looked up Trampas Lake and I think it is in the Carson National Forest but I couldn't find a map online. Would you verify? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 PM

7,356 posts, read 17,919,687 times
Wow, I'm seeing some beautiful pictures and places tonight.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 AM

5,548 posts, read 14,799,072 times
Minathebrat said:

> I looked up Trampas Lake and I think it is in the
> Carson National Forest but I couldn't find a map online.

Carson National Forest - Trampas Campground Trail 31

If you want a wider scale, go to http://maps.google.com/ and enter [ Truchas, NM ] in the search box.

From there, navigate to the E-SE to the 2 mi/5 km scale where you can see Truchas on the upper
left, Cowles, lower center and Gascon on the right.

The Trampas lakes area is on a line between Gascon and Truchas slightly E of due N of Cowles.

Switch your view to [ Terrain ] and look for the markings showing Truchas Peaks.

Now, zoom in to the 1 mi/ 1 km scale and find Jicarilla Peak - N of the Truchas Peaks.

In a long, glacial valley that opens to the North, you'll find a pair of lakes S-SE of Jicarilla Peak.

There ya go.

Mr Senior Powder Inspector:
--------------------------
How is parking there? Do you keep someone back at the car who is armed to guard it?
Do you get dropped off? For many years, I've heard about bad "mischief" there involving
break-ins and such.

Last edited by mortimer; 01-10-2009 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico