Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:20 AM

356 posts, read 502,631 times

Advertisements

Looking at houses in Alamogordo on Realtor.com, I see quite a few "traditional" stucco/adobe style homes with the flat roofs. Having lived most of my life in rain country, these seem problematic to me in terms of maintenance and leak potential, yet they are obviously a very popular choice in New Mexico. They also seem as though they would not be as efficient at collecting and venting heat as a conventional pitched roof equipped with best-practices ridge vents and roof jacks.
And how often must the flat roofs be resurfaced? At some point, don't they need to be taken down to bare roof to avoid a buildup of weight?
Any advice mucho appreciado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:36 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,062 times
No pros, only cons, to the flat roofs out here. They leak...

Old 07-06-2017, 09:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Looking at houses in Alamogordo on Realtor.com, I see quite a few "traditional" stucco/adobe style homes with the flat roofs. Having lived most of my life in rain country, these seem problematic to me in terms of maintenance and leak potential, yet they are obviously a very popular choice in New Mexico. They also seem as though they would not be as efficient at collecting and venting heat as a conventional pitched roof equipped with best-practices ridge vents and roof jacks.
And how often must the flat roofs be resurfaced? At some point, don't they need to be taken down to bare roof to avoid a buildup of weight?
Any advice mucho appreciado.
I worked for a few roofing companies 40+ years ago. I have installed my own pitched asphalt shingle roof on two homes.

Reliability of the traditional flat roof stucco/adobe style homes seem to vary. There are newer materials which seem to avoid past problems. Here is one of many good articles: Flat Roof Replacement - BAC | Lifetime Roofing

We have seen some "stucco/adobe style homes" that we might consider buying, if we were in the market.

Ever wonder why major buildings, grocery, department stores have "flat" (or almost flat) roofs?

In any event, some related threads here on City-Data:
Flat Roof Replacement
Cost of a new membrane roof?
Replacing Tar + Gravel Roof with TPO Roof
Elastomeric Roof Coatings

Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
If a flat roof was such a bad idea you would not see very many. Mine (a membrane) has a 20 year warranty -- no leaks in four years. The skylights might leak before the roof leaks. My duplex storage sheds had a leak this year and I had a new roof coating installed that will be there for my lifetime. We get about 10 inches of rain a year where I live. One pro is, if you have a swamp cooler, that the flat roof allows for easier twice yearly maintenance of the cooling unit.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Thanks all. Lots to think about. Sounds like a careful roof inspection is an absolute must with a flat roof.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Thanks all. Lots to think about. Sounds like a careful roof inspection is an absolute must with a flat roof.
Actually in any roof. I know two people who bought newly built homes with shingled roofs which had leaks when they moved in...

Old 07-07-2017, 06:37 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,621 times
Ever wonder why major buildings, grocery, department stores have "flat" (or almost flat) roofs?

First reason is in the end a flat roof is probably cheaper first cost. It's also far easier to install the multiple rooftop HVAC systems you will find. Flat roof materials have come a long way over the years it seems. Obviously they are essential to the 'look' of the adobe style homes. Some drawbacks I see are it's much tougher to ventilate that hot air trapped below in the summer because you essentially have no attic or crawlspace between the roof and ceiling. By not having that you have also eliminated one more place to run pipe or wiring in the future. Couple that with a slab floor and.....

Old 07-07-2017, 06:59 AM

Threecats, good points. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:06 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Where would you put the insulation on a flat roof if there isn't any room for wiring?

Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Where would you put the insulation on a flat roof if there isn't any room for wiring?
They have a "pocket roof". First of all, pueblo revival style houses are designed, many times, to give the impression that the roof is resting on the viga timbers. Sometimes there will be timbers protruding through the wall. That worked fine for the pueblos and some of those timbers are 800 years old but it is mostly for show now. Modern pueblo revival/Spanish revival are built using modern methods. How would you have insulation, ceiling fans or light fixtures in the ceiling if there was no wiring space? I recently replaced a ceiling fan and I have about two feet of space above the ceiling for wiring and insulation. This link shows how one builder does it.

Santa Fe Style Roof Insulation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico