Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,051 times

Advertisements

So I read that the Farmington City Council has voted to ban what they call "high gravity" - or alcohol content over 7.9%, beer and wine in an effort to curb public drunkenness.

Apparently microbrews and things like sherry and corked wine are not included, so it appears that the ban is going after the cheap stuff.

What do you think?

-I wanted to add that I'm generally pretty opposed to government imposing it's will on a population. Prohibition didn't work, I don't believe the endless resource-sucking pit called the "war on drugs" is working, and I'm pretty sure this is going to have unforeseen side effects.

Last edited by Minathebrat; 01-16-2009 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: adding my op
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
So I read that the Farmington City Council has voted to ban what they call "high gravity" - or alcohol content over 7.9%, beer and wine in an effort to curb public drunkenness.

Apparently microbrews and things like sherry and corked wine are not included, so it appears that the ban is going after the cheap stuff.

What do you think about this ban?
Remind me not to visit Farmington anytime soon...

Nita

Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
I had a nice lol when I read that.
That is simply a law to make it look like they are doing something to cover up the shortcommigns of the community.
What would a law like that *actually* achieve ? I mean I can buy more alcohol and get just as blitzed so are they going to issue ration cards then ? "This card entitles you to 1.4 cans of beer a day" hehe.
Who is going to police this too ? Are they going to do No Knock SWAT raids on houses ? If somebody wants a certain beer I am sure they can buy it somewhere outside City limits so theyre just costing themselves tax.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 AM

104 posts, read 376,543 times
Farmington is the worst for drunkenness. They need to crack down like Albuquerque and make DWI a felony. Passed out on the curb gets people killed too. Just not as visible. They pick up the body and take it to the morgue and nothing more is said. Uh-Oh, hope that wasn't unPC.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Banning high proof spirits didn't work before and won't work now. They need to address the underlying problem of alcohol addiction if they want to reduce public drunkeness. Dragging the drunks to a place where they can safely (sort of) sleep it off is a good interim approach. Banning the alcohol won't work.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
In fact, has it even been established that high-alcohol-content is the poison of choice for the typical town drunk?

I know drunks like Steel Reserve 211 (which is just barely over 8%), and they like Listerine (YUCK!).

Old 01-16-2009, 01:18 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,969 times
They like what they can afford. And stuff like Thunderbird and MD 20/20 is high in alcohol and low in price. I think that is the kind of stuff they are going after. Worked in a liquor store for a couple of weeks and the drunks lined up at opening to get this stuff.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidwood View Post
Farmington is the worst for drunkenness. They need to crack down like Albuquerque and make DWI a felony. Passed out on the curb gets people killed too. Just not as visible. They pick up the body and take it to the morgue and nothing more is said. Uh-Oh, hope that wasn't unPC.

I remember when I was living there when I was a little kid around 7years old, some of the memories I still have of Farmington are the drunks passed out in parks and on the sides of buildings and sidewalks in town.

When I moved back there at age 23 I would still see drinks passed out in town, drunks asking for change at a convience store and once a drunk broke into a co-workers car and passed out.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink Please

Moderator cut: Off Topic

That said, it is unfortunate the alcoholism which is prevalent in the Four Corner region, specifically Farmington, NM, given its location. Which has everything to do with their principal customers who abuse this, Native Americans. Whether PC or not, the truth. But alcoholism is a symptom of underlying imbalances, and just papering over this with prohibitions won't solve the problem. If serious, then actively address these disparities. When people's life's have truly changed for the better, most importantly their perspective, and they some genuine reason for hope, many of these problems will disappear as leafs in a wind.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-17-2012 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 63,747 times
I see this ban as a big problem. They are going to travel across the border into these four corner states getting there booze and probably or more than likely going to drink it in there vehicles on the ride home causing accidents. Killing the innocent and themselves. But what about the other close communities it is going to be a problem for them also. They are going to get this however they can. There needs to be something done about public drunkness. But who is going to inforce this and how? This is a good and bad thing they are doing we will have to see how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico