Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 PM

11 posts, read 32,501 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of re-locating to new mexico in the next 6 months. I am a health care provider and can pretty much get a job anywhere so that isn't much of a problem. I really like the Taos area for it's art, history and I have a good friend who lives closeby. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to look for work for experienced and bi-lingual nurse practitioners? I'd also appreciate info on real estate. Santa Fe is really over priced and Taos just seems more laid back and rustic to me. Also if anyone has any sense of the crime in the area I would really it too. Thank you.appreciate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 AM

476 posts, read 2,323,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrery View Post
I'm thinking of re-locating to new mexico in the next 6 months. I am a health care provider and can pretty much get a job anywhere so that isn't much of a problem. I really like the Taos area for it's art, history and I have a good friend who lives closeby. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to look for work for experienced and bi-lingual nurse practitioners? I'd also appreciate info on real estate. Santa Fe is really over priced and Taos just seems more laid back and rustic to me. Also if anyone has any sense of the crime in the area I would really it too. Thank you.appreciate
Check into Farmington. There is San Juan Regional Hospital.www.sanjuanregional.com and look into it. Aztec near Farmington is a nice little artsy town. Durango is a very artsy place with a ski resort, an hour away and their hospital is Mercy Medical Hospital and is a large new hospital http://www.mercydurango.org/.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 03-06-2007 at 12:56 AM..

Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,213,322 times
From my understanding, Taos makes Santa Fe look reasonably priced. I think it's also interesting that Albuquerque seems like it is looking more like the rest of NM all the time because the locals from those communities sell out to the trendy carpetbaggers and move here.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 AM

271 posts, read 1,127,461 times
When you move with the intention to work, some times the job takes priority because you won't want to move to a place where you will not be employed.
For a health professional, the best way to look for a job is through a Locum Tenens company that specializes in health professions. They handle "temporaries" and permanent workers. They will tell you where there are openings and what requirements are necessary to apply. Nurses have to revalidate a State license. Some Government jobs do not require revalidation of State license, you can look at "JOBS USA" where all Federal jobs are listed. There are several VA hospitals in NM that need nurses.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,048,754 times
As an RN, I can tell you that the nursing shortage is acute nationally, so I doubt that NM will be any exception to that. I imagine every city and hospital in the state has RN positions available.

I already talked to a nurse manager at St. Vincent's in Santa Fe, and she told me she could put me to work the day I arrive in New Mexico and get my state license there.

Good news for nurses looking for employment.

Not such good news for institutions with bad shortages and patients expecting good care.

My only other comment is that I believe Taos would be VERY expensive to live on a nursing salary.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:15 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,336,878 times
My husband and I looked to move our family of five to Taos a couple of years ago. It was very expensive. We had a realtor take us around to look at houses. One of the most affordable for us was basically a 3 bedroom trailer house on a slab for $250K. We decided we could afford the area better as tourists.

Contact a realtor and tell them you are thinking of relocating there. Ask them to email some listings based on your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico