Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:29 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about snowbirding/moving to Socorro. I searched, but could not find any mention of theis small city. We would appreciate any info you might have.

GregW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 08:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Socorro: I lived there for four years.

There are basically two significant groups of people in Socorro: Those related to the school (nerdy, highly educated, transplant from out of state), and locals with ties dating back several generations (not to be biased but most of the ones with potential tend to leave).

As a place to retire, I suppose it's ok if you like a small town, though there are high crime rates (drug smuggling) and ol-boy corruption that would raise eyebrows. I wouldn't say there's as much of a closely knit community in Socorro as with other towns its size. There's a lot of population turnover.

However, close to Albuquerque but not too close, has hospital, stuff you'd expect in a county seat, and housing costs are low even for NM (though rising due to all the school-related expansion).

It's also the only place I've ever been where you'll see foreign military in uniform (counterterrorism training), and hear thunder on a clear day (explosives testing on the mountain).

Old 01-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Thanks about Socorro

Thanks - that is just about what I expected. Sounds like a small New England college town. Same type of town & gown split.

I am more concerned about the availability of some kind of bus service and access to a local hospital because niether myself or my lady are getting any younger. However I am an experienced environmental scientist and sometime plumber and general metal worker so I expect to be able to get some sort of part time job to supplement my pension.

Looks like another trip to the area is in the near future.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
You might look at Silver City or even Ruidoso for retirement. Most of the towns up North, like Taos, are nearly impossible to afford unless you have a good pension.

I found Socorro unlike New England college towns and except for one wonderful restaurant, I found the town unsightly, run down and disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thanks - that is just about what I expected. Sounds like a small New England college town. Same type of town & gown split.

I am more concerned about the availability of some kind of bus service and access to a local hospital because niether myself or my lady are getting any younger. However I am an experienced environmental scientist and sometime plumber and general metal worker so I expect to be able to get some sort of part time job to supplement my pension.

Looks like another trip to the area is in the near future.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:48 PM

271 posts, read 1,175,204 times
Default information about Socorro

I do not live in Socorro but go there quite often and it does not appeal
to me for a retirement town. The small engineering college is the best
thing it has going for it with the exception of the brew pub. Other than
that it is rough around the edges which many New Mexico towns seem
to fall in that category in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks, that was the restaurant I had my good dinner. I couldn't recall the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
I do not live in Socorro but go there quite often and it does not appeal
to me for a retirement town. The small engineering college is the best
thing it has going for it with the exception of the brew pub. Other than
that it is rough around the edges which many New Mexico towns seem
to fall in that category in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
Are you all talking about Socorro Springs Brewery? I had some decent mexican food at a resturant in Socorro cannot recall the name.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM

I think that's it. Somewhere I have my credit card receipt. I had one of the best meals--ever in NM--in this brewery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Are you all talking about Socorro Springs Brewery? I had some decent mexican food at a resturant in Socorro cannot recall the name.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:49 AM

The primary attraction in Socorro is the college. Next would be the local hospital. Searches for real estate indicate reasonable, if not downright cheap, houses. Particularly small houses or GHU, mobil homes.

Thanks for the comments. Please continue.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,577 times
Socorro is wonderful. Go to Middle Rio Grande Caldwell Banker to find a house, and ask for Jenine Hall. She's wonderful. When you want white people food Go talk to Casey at the Socorro Spring Brew Pub. He is the brother of the owner and brews the beer. GM most of the time too. For the best Authentic Mexican food go to Armijo's on the south end of town and order the Special Burger Steak with green Chili. Holy moly you will tell the family about that.

As a plumber you can work part time or any time for only a few plumbers in town. RC is the best plumber but kind of weird to deal with. Honest and hard working and believes in doing it right the first time. He will surely let you work many of his service calls and make plenty of money. (he lives in Magdalena but all his family is in Socorro and he is there every day)

A metal worker might be valuable to many of the other small business that provide for to only industry Socorro has, building houses. Sorry I got no help there.

Walks with 'the lady' through the New MExico Tech at sunset are second to none in the world. Be careful though cause reguardless of your age you will get pregnant. It's in the water.

Oh ya, water is brown alot, but it is drinkable. Go to the Water and ice store to get set up with the bottled water dispensors and stuff. Kathy is a sweetheart.

Don't get into politics and don't read the newspaper.

You have a walmart, and auto zone, and Raks building supply. What else could you ever want.

Good Luck. I wish I still lived there but I didn't follow my own rules. Dang Newspaper and Politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico