Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 AM

265 posts, read 874,469 times

Advertisements

I have also read about the Columbus area. Lots of retirees live there and there really isn't any police force. So far Mexicans moving into the area are keeping a low profile. Apparently a combo of law abiding scared people along with drug cartel families looking for a safe area. How safe can these areas remain before the violence shows up there also?

Las Cruses would seem to be the logical first area for cartel influence to show up. Any signs yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM

103 posts, read 303,438 times
First of all can someone explain to me how a Mexican family can just up and move to the U.S.? How is that legal?

Second, this is BAD news for New Mexico. We should be making their lives hell here. Drug dealers are the scum of the earth.

Lastly, education is the key to fighting the scourge of illegal drugs and drug addiction. Let me say it again: EDUCATION is the key.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,328,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
the mayor of Juarez also moved his family into El Paso to escape the violence there
el paso ain't that safe either. a couple of weeks ago, there was a border shootout.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:12 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,609,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Unfortunately it'll take many more lives before this simple and inevitable solution becomes clear even to the most simple minded prohibitionist.
We might all be dead (and our descendants) before that happens.

Organized crime requires "illegal" activities that a large portion of the population wishes to engage in. I'm not in favor of things like prostitution, gambling, cigarettes, alcohol and drugs... but they are obviously going to exist no matter what, and they all do far less harm if they are legal and tightly regulated. Besides that we can collect a bunch of taxes on them too, instead of spending 100s of billions to "fight" it.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,040,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
el paso ain't that safe either. a couple of weeks ago, there was a border shootout.

El Paso is one of the safest cities in the whole country, I think its in the top 3.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:11 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,704,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
Las Cruses would seem to be the logical first area for cartel influence to show up. Any signs yet?
No I think there's too much border patrol & other presence in the area. The prefer places further from the border with less law enforcement and better transportation networks... like Phoenix and Atlanta.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:36 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
I have also read about the Columbus area. Lots of retirees live there and there really isn't any police force. So far Mexicans moving into the area are keeping a low profile. Apparently a combo of law abiding scared people along with drug cartel families looking for a safe area. How safe can these areas remain before the violence shows up there also?

James, I don't know where you "read" this stuff, but you seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions about someplace you don't seem to know very well, as if you're trying to stoke rumors or otherwise whip people up about this. Why would that be?
Do you really think "drug cartel" families would be located for safety within a few miles of the border? If these people are part of the cartels they have LOTS of money and can live anywhere they want, including Illinois or Manhattan or Seattle or wherever. Why would you pick Columbus or Las Cruces as the "logical first area" for cartel influence?
There are a number of Mexican citizens who have taken up residence in El Paso and probably Las Cruces as well. They tend to be the families of political and law enforcement leaders who need to escape the perceived (and rightly so) threat of cartel kidnapping or assasination as the Mexican drug cartels, fueled with mountains of US dollars and US weapons, duke it out for control with each other and with the government.
Someone in an earlier post expressed some shock that Mexican citizens would or could live in the USA...which made me laugh. Huge numbers of Mexican citizens have passports and are able to stay in this country, just as massive numbers of US citizens do in Mexico. If you took all the Norteamericanos out of San Miguel or Chapala you'd leave ghost towns behind.
If cartel families are also part of this refugee migration I seriously doubt anyone in the know would be chatting about it. The issue is pretty bogus.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:09 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,285,622 times
Legalizing MJ would solve a portion of the problem. But we really are light years away from ever legalizing coke, heroin or meth which are a larger part of the cartels business than MJ. I doubt we will ever legalize those hard drugs and I don't necessarily think we should. It's a toughie to be sure. I'd like to see our government take a harder stance on the demand side. That's really the only thing we could say we control.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,609,610 times
I just heard on the radio that by far the biggest drug traffic from Mexico is MJ.

Why not legalize coke, heroin, or meth? What is the downside compared to our current situation?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,285,622 times
I understand the logic there, but the reality is that it won't happen. There are too few beneficial uses to those three to placate the law and order types IMO. I might turn the question around on you and ask, why not try to work on demand? It serves a more noble purpose than legalizing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico