Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 30,437 times

Advertisements

I think the problem here is that VIA probably did not know that you had taken over the land when your inlaws died. If you contact Val Tabor at VIA, she may be able to help you. Her email is: vtabor@v-i-a.org. She is a real nice lady and she has helped me alot. Good luck.

I would like to know if there are any other Rio Del Oro landowners from Canada, besides me. I would like to start an association of Rio Del Oro landowners with the main emphasis on Canadian owners. However, all would be welcome, no matter where in the world they live.

May you all have a Prosperous 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 03:34 PM

390 posts, read 951,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaforeman View Post
Meadowlakes is THE bad area in Los Lunas. There are lots of other places that would be a better bet for buying fixer-uppers. My recommendation would be to find a reputable real estate agent through referrals and let them help you pick a good area.
I would agree, just watch the news! Appears to be a very bad area.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJKMALTESE View Post
I just got a letter from valencia county treasurer that the land has been handed over to via for non payment of association fees which i did not know existed. This land was given to us on the death of my inlaws and we kept paying the taxes so i want the money back from via since they took the land. How do they get away with this.

I think the problem here is that VIA probably did not know that you had taken over the land when your inlaws died. If you contact Val Tabor at VIA, she may be able to help you. Her email is: vtabor@v-i-a.org. She is a real nice lady and she has helped me alot. Good luck.

I would like to know if there are any other Rio Del Oro landowners from Canada, besides me. I would like to start an association of Rio Del Oro landowners with the main emphasis on Canadian owners. However, all would be welcome, no matter where in the world they live.

May you all have a Prosperous 2009.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 PM

Post New Association for Rio Del Oro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioMan View Post
I have decided to try my hand at organizing a new association for Rio Del Oro Landowners and Trustees who just want more of a "club" type of association, rather than a bureaucratic one. We can leave that to the Rio Communities Landowners Association, who are doing good work for us non-resident folks.

Please take a look at Rio Del Oro Land Association Rio Del Oro Land Association and let me know what you think. If anyone out there knows of any landowners or trustees from Canada, please have them look at the website and contact me at riodeloro@sympatico.ca or use the website contact info.

Thanks, folks.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 AM

Question Rio Del Oro, New Mexico, Landowners and Trustees

I would like to know if there are any landowners or trustees, in Canada, that have property in Rio Del Oro, New Mexico, just south of Alburquerque.

I am a Canadian landowner there and would like to correspond with other property owners or trustees from Canada. I can be contacted through this forum or at: riodeloro@sympatico.ca .

RioMan

Old 02-04-2009, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,607 times
Default Rio Del Oro Lots

My parents just got a phone call tonight from a Theodore Thomas from United Property Sales asking them to sell their lots for $280,000. He supplied my parents with all of the information regarding their land, lot#, block and unit #, but I guess that's all public record somewhere.

I went to their web site and it looks like it was designed by a 5 year old, so it just fuels my skepticism. After reading all of the posts up to now and seeing the pictures, I can't really see why they would have jumped in value overnight literally.

Is there something going on in that area? Did they strike oil on our land?

This guy is trying to "pressure" my parents into making a decision by 10 pm tonight EST.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc666 View Post
My parents just got a phone call tonight from a Theodore Thomas from United Property Sales asking them to sell their lots for $280,000. He supplied my parents with all of the information regarding their land, lot#, block and unit #, but I guess that's all public record somewhere.

I went to their web site and it looks like it was designed by a 5 year old, so it just fuels my skepticism. After reading all of the posts up to now and seeing the pictures, I can't really see why they would have jumped in value overnight literally.

Is there something going on in that area? Did they strike oil on our land?

This guy is trying to "pressure" my parents into making a decision by 10 pm tonight EST.

Any thoughts?
We owned 3 lots there and lived in the area for 7 years: depending on exactly where the lots are, they are worth about what the taxes are on them, dont fall for it!!!!

Nita

Old 04-03-2009, 02:42 AM

7 posts, read 19,649 times
I bought many Rio Grande Estates 1 acre lots in the 90's for an average of $200 per acre at tax auctions. Today those lots vary in value. The ones with power on the road are going for $8000-15000 (they're closer to Hwy 60). The lots with no power go for about $2500-3500. The Metro-Rail from Las Cruces to Santa Fe will be going by just 5 miles west of my land. The development along I-25 south of Albuquerque is increasing our land values (and taxes). I developed 2 acres, fenced it, put in 2 septic tanks, 2 mobile homes, dropped a well (very good water!) and enjoy 360 degree vistas of mountains and clear skies. At night the coyotes sing me to sleep. There are no city lights so on nice nights I can sleep on my deck and watch the activity in the heavens! It is breath-taking. Rio Grande Estates is just down the road from Rio Del Oro. Lots of Earthship houses being built out there... undergound homes, solar power, 400 ft. well depth. Had a couple of gardens but the cows got in and ate 'em up. Hummingbirds of all colors and sizes flock to the feeders on my deck. The nearest Walmart is 17 miles north in Belen. Don't throw away your land just yet. The taxes at our subdivision are $14 per acre. Sam James is a great guy who's lived there for years and can tell you anything you want to know about it. Very friendly guy who is happy to talk to anyone about the whole area. He's a retired parole officer at 505-573-6422. Tell him Liz said Howdy!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Default looking for info on new development in rio del oro

Hello ddadio,

I have recently talked to Val Tabor at the Valley Improvement Association (VIA) and there is nothing happening in Rio Del Oro. I have 2 adjoining lots in Unit 8 and expect to hold them for quite some time.

I have a website at Rio Del Oro Land Association and try to keep things posted as to what is going on.

One of the "problems" is that, unless you have at least 3 adjoining lots (3/4 acre) you cannot have a well and standard septic system for a dwelling - you cannot build on anything smaller. There are some special septic disposal systems, approved by the New Mexico Dept. of Environment, that would allow building on less land. I am looking into this at present.

Stay in touch - keep checking the website above.

All the best.

RioMan

Old 06-03-2009, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 15,605 times
I, too, just bought two lots in Rio del Oro, totalling .55 acres. I bought the land just because I miss owning a piece of New Mexico, having recently sold my wonderful home on 5 acres in the northern part of the state. I don't intend to ever live there, which is fortunate, because as the rules currently stand, it is not allowed to build a home on less than a 3/4 acre lot. When each home will require its own septic system, and a well probably at least 200 feet deep, the land will not support a population as dense as might be suggested by the fact that they are selling lots as small as .17 acres! This land has been vacant forever, and it is sort of out beyond where Jesus lost his sandals. Lovely to look at, but totally undeveloped, perhaps undevelopable, unless that Japanese company decides to invest in a self-contained bio-dome or something :-) Someone would have to put in a town, I think, with all utilities. Not likely to happen in the forseeable future, especially since NM is predicted to run out of water in a few years!
This "development" has been under some sort of 40-year deal with the Valley Improvement Association since 1971, with no building going on. They collect the association dues, and say they blade the roads. But after February 2011 that ends, there will be no more dues, I'm told, and the county will maintain the roads, such as they are. Lots of luck.
Maybe I'll meet some of your fellow land-owners out there on a picnic some day!
To anyone who bought a small lot expecting to live there, you have my sympathies. Actually, though, if I could get two more lots adjacent to mine, in unit 20, for cheap, I might buy them, just to have a whole acre, in case I win the lottery and can afford to build off-the-grid! Meanwhile, if I had a week to spare, and a small truck-load of rocks, I'd build a labyrinth there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico