U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:26 PM

28 posts, read 38,541 times

Advertisements

Okay, here goes:
I am a blonde haired, blue eyed white girl from the midwest who has never had to deal with stereotyping or profiles of any kind. BUT, I now have two young sons (age 2) who are adopted from Guatemala and suddenly I am very aware of racial profiling. I've never been the type of person who judged a person by their race or culture and I've always condemned. Even so, as a white person, I can condemn all I want but I still don't have to live with it.

So, in an effort to offer my sons the best possible childhood, I am planning on relocating to a friendlier area. I am looking for a city/community that has alot of diversity and offers strong role models for my sons, but not just white guys who have make it big. I want my sons to enjoy their culture, feel comfortable in their surroundings with people who look like them and come from the same background and I would prefer an area that is accepting of mixed race families and adoptive families.

Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM

2,588 posts, read 2,140,804 times
You'll find New Mexico is pretty diverse.

Not to worry.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...iences-nm.html

Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,337,427 times
The cities in the Southwest would be the best for what your looking for,Albuquerque would be the best choice though.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 PM

464 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Default Hi there

I agree with the two previous posters I think you and family would love it in New Mexico.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:03 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,177,336 times
My husband and I are white and raising an adopted Central Asian son in ABQ. Absolutely no strange looks, no weird comments....zero, zilch.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 PM

464 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Default Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
My husband and I are white and raising an adopted Central Asian son in ABQ. Absolutely no strange looks, no weird comments....zero, zilch.

That is really nice to hear

(I hope this will post )
Tia Dalma

Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,177,336 times
I should point out that our son could easily pass for Hispanic and I think that's it...there are so many mixed families/second marriages, etc. that people are used to seeing Hispanic kids/Caucasian parents and vv. The nice thing about raising your kids in ABQ is the Hispanic culture. New Mexico is not Guatemala but there are similarities in language and culture. Our second adoption will be from Mexico and we're excited about being able to maintain her culture.
If you are still doing PP reports, I can recommend a good agency here.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 PM

7,371 posts, read 18,462,323 times
I don't see any problems with races in NM.
I think the only time I've seen people that have a hard time dealing with different races is when I lived in Tennessee.
I'm assuming you're also wondering about being stereotyped as a blue eyed blonde?
I'm a green/hazel eyed redhead and I get stereotyped all the time.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 PM

77,804 posts, read 96,821,658 times
I don't think you would have any problems in NM but I am a bit surprised you are having problems in NWA>..Are you sure the problem is all that serious or maybe it is just curiosity, seeing a blond mommy with 2 darker little boys? I see lots of mixed children in our area as well as Mo all the time..What does your husband think? Plus many blacks, not as many as in some parts of our state, but they are here, more than in ABQ for sure..I have seen several kids of black/white marriages, or black/hispanic marriages as well.

I will add, ABQ is more diversified than here, and of course has a high percentage of Hispanics.

I don't know what you do for a living, but you will want to visit areas that interest you and check out the job market pretty closely...

Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out, there may be more to what you are taking as profiling than really exists.

Again, ABQ is a great place to live, but very different from AR...

Nita:

Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM

26,530 posts, read 47,985,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaslee View Post
I now have two young sons (age 2) who are adopted from Guatemala

So, in an effort to offer my sons the best possible childhood, I am planning on relocating to a friendlier area.

I want my sons to enjoy their culture, feel comfortable in their surroundings with people who look like them and come from the same background

Any suggestions?
You may be able to do OK in New Mexico.

The best possible childhood would be to raise them in a loving structured home is my suggestion.

Your children do not come from the same background.... Your children are from Guatemala which is different than New Mexico. It's like saying I have an Australian child who I will raise in Columbus, Georgia (I know a couple in that situation).

Do they/will they speak Spanish?

Do they have a father that will be with them to raise them?

Spanish was my first language. My parents were born in Spain. Again, your kids could do well here in New Mexico if you can do well. Raise them in a loving structured home is the key, not trying to make them something they are not.

That's just my opinion, which will no doubt bring on the wrath of some critics.

Ricardo Sanchez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>