Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times

Advertisements

You seem like a wise one. You know of course, that stress can really affect blood pressure, and your general healthy well being.
I've found that, RV living is about the least expensive way to have shelter. When we first arrived in T or C, we rented a 2 bedroom house for $350.00 a month, and paid about another 200 to 300 for utilities, gas (propane for heat and cooking) electric, waste collection, sewer and water, not ecnomical at all, only was recieving 1000 a month in disability benefits. I think the cost of living here can be higher if you can't play your cards right. Buying groceries locally and gasoline can get expensive. I don't know why? so, every 3rd. of the month, we go to walmart and sam's club in las cruces, fill our 5 cubic foot freezer with deals found, and fill the gas tank plus add another 10 gallons to bring back. Gas here right now is $4.09 per gallon 07/24/08, and gas in las cruces is about $3.87 per gallon, chicken leg quarters here are $0.69 per pound for a frozen block of them, and in wally world in cruces is $0.57 per pound just iced and separable, stocking up on sale or inexpensive items is crucial to us making it through the month. We even buy freezer bread in one pound loaves, which is $2.97 for 3, and bake it ourselves. I even use the freezer bread to make pizzas with. better than pizza hut & domino's both. sorry guys. I think that if the economy worsens, we may see more and more people trying to cut corners like we do. we rarely go to eat out. we plan trips using the van, it only gets about 14 mpg. we make every trip anywhere count.
And yes.... any type of therapy, escaping to another world is very healthful. Upon first arrival in T or C, it took about a week for me to come to the realization, that there's not much here to do. We were tied to the rental house for 3 months, and even with cost cutting measures, it was eating our lunch! We hit the road, and discovered the "Real Beauty" of the desert southwest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
This thread gets more interesting and colorful by the day! We, too, may have to do the RV bit for awhile if we EVER get down to TorC to stay. These medical "events" have greatly surpassed our insurance coverage since our deductibles are high. We've scaled back on superfluous trips and toys quite a bit of late. It's no matter, it is what it is and there's no running from responsibility and exigent circumstances; gotta suck it up and take it on the chin and move on. That's life.
We probably should not bother with a short trip to southern NM this season, considering our mounting expenses, but we really need the break from this city and the recent stresses. We've found that even over-nighters can alleviate a helluva lot of anxiety and anguish when "done right" .....So a few days hitting some lovely territory down south is just what Dr. Feelgood prescribes!

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 07-24-2008 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Misspelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
The stark and relentless raw beauty of the desert is what lures us highdesertmutz...I love it as much as the steaming jungles of Hawai'i where I spent most of my life. My wife loves the desert as well. As for the food prices in TorC they are considerably cheaper than here in Denver generally. We subscribe to the Herald and the prices quoted are usually much better than the extortion we face hereabouts. Additionally, our heating bills can surpass $300 per month in the winter here and lately we've had some pretty chilly ones! Denver is becoming quite expensive. So I suppose it's all relative in the final analysis. The milder climate and the low population density really attract us to southern NM.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Some pics of hummingbirds on our front porch.
Great pics, Cheryl.

I see both male and female black-chinned and broad-tailed, but some of the pics of the male with all of the rust-color on him....I am trying to figure out what that is!! It doesn't look like either the black-chinned/broad-tailed...I was thinking Rufous, but I don't think that NM gets that one even in migration.

I stole your pic, and will send it to the family expert (who has over 500 on her life-list)...or do you know what it is?

I didn't put my feeders out this season, but will next year...or maybe even in time this year for migration, which was Labor Day in WT..not sure about here.

Thanks for sharing!!

Last edited by Cathy4017; 08-05-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Default Hummers

Hi Cathy. We think they are Rufous. Let us know.

Charlie

Last edited by songinthewind7; 08-06-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Cathy. We think they are Rufous. Let us know.

Charlie
Hi, Charlie! Guess y'all are enjoying Timberon, at long last!

They do look like rufous....and Mother (almost as rabid a birder as Sis) thought that's what they are. Sis will be back from vacation next week, and I am waiting to hear from her.

This just seems so out of range for them, and also rubythroat, which is why I thought that one of the others might be the broadtailed, which also has a red throat.

Anyway, enjoy them...and I'll let you know what Sis says!

Now if I could just get rid of the pesky, pesky grackles!!!!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Default Hummers

Other folks around here call them Rufous. They are very aggreessive, running all others off until they get their drink. I think we have both of the red throats here as I have noticed differences. Not very good at identifying them just feeding them. We go thru 4 cups of sugar a day and have up to around fifty at times. Sounds like a very busy airport.

Charlie

Old 08-06-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Other folks around here call them Rufous. They are very aggreessive, running all others off until they get their drink. I think we have both of the red throats here as I have noticed differences. Not very good at identifying them just feeding them. We go thru 4 cups of sugar a day and have up to around fifty at times. Sounds like a very busy airport.

Charlie
They are sometimes hard to ID....but the Rufous IS a very aggressive hummer, so that sounds about right, LOL!!

Boy, that's a lot of hummers! Are they in migration now? I was thinking it was a bit early for that!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Hummers

Cathy, I think they just like to hang around the beautiful mountains like the rest of us here in Timberon. LOL.

Charlie

Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Cathy, I think they just like to hang around the beautiful mountains like the rest of us here in Timberon. LOL.

Charlie
No doubt, LOL!! The climate is just about perfect.....and I am still tempted to look for a small summer place down there!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Charlie
Sis says that they are Rufous.... identified the others as black-chinned and broad-tailed. The ruby-throated is not in NM at all.

I need to get my feeder up. She did say that I could get quite a number in migration, even without having had my feeder up this summer!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico