Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Sounds just like anywhere else with a disfunctional economy. It also sounds like a change in government is needed. Some people on the town council are probably making a buck on the existing situation. Conditions can be changed if enough people want the change. Get new people in government.
Greg,

Roswell's government changes pretty much every election cycle. There is definitely profiteering by certain politicians but either they don't get voted out or they still keep a hand in the cookie jar when they are (like they owe the city money on a suspicious low-interest loan).

I know first-hand just how hard Roswell and Chaves County try to recruit jobs. They try. Hard. Very hard. It's not the politics of the town that drives businesses away (that I've ever heard).

Roswell's problems, sadly, aren't strictly governmental, nor are they strictly economic. The town is just full of all-around bad people. Not everybody who lives there is horrible, but the ratio is just so unbelievably high that it's a wonder the town doesn't burn to the ground (and parts of it do, suspiciously, on a regular basis).

Some people in Española or Farmington might identify with this; it's not that it's small (New Mexico is full of nice small places), it's just that it's a really icky place to live because of a large number of people who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM

22 posts, read 47,251 times
I was googling "CTR" and this site popped up(CD), apparently, "CTR" is a term used by the teens-to people in their 20's and 30's, or so it appears, to describe Roswell, that is what I'm getting out of it, I have actually heard the term thrown around a few times, I see that there is a Facebook page dedicated to "CTR".

Old 10-11-2010, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,274 times
The reason Roswell is called "CTR" is because the odd things that happened here in the past, and also the weather here is unusual cause it changes within seconds. That what I remember my high school teacher explained to me. Roswell is a great place to live as long as you mind your own business, and concentrate on your own live instead of assuming others are doing bad things, just to give a purpose for your mouth moving.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:43 PM

71 posts, read 157,159 times
Default Safe neighborhoods in Roswell

Will be looking at houses in the lower to moderate range this week. Found several older homes in the historical district that look interesting. What areas are safe or safer, and what areas to stay away from?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
Roswell's got some nicer and worse places, but the spillover of nasty people into nice neighborhoods is substantial.

Recommend avoiding an area with boarded-up houses, and unkempt lawns. There are some really really nice houses in the historic area (have lived in one), but there are bad apples in that area as well.

I'd make sure you're going to be in the area for years even if layoffs, etc. occur because selling a house in Roswell is far more difficult than in most places (everybody rents, nobody buys, because nobody believes the economy is going to come roaring back).

Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM

71 posts, read 157,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Roswell's got some nicer and worse places, but the spillover of nasty people into nice neighborhoods is substantial.

Recommend avoiding an area with boarded-up houses, and unkempt lawns. There are some really really nice houses in the historic area (have lived in one), but there are bad apples in that area as well.

I'd make sure you're going to be in the area for years even if layoffs, etc. occur because selling a house in Roswell is far more difficult than in most places (everybody rents, nobody buys, because nobody believes the economy is going to come roaring back).
We are retired. Buying at the cheaper end of the spectrum, due to frugal lifestyle and abundance of homes on the market. Will pay cash, after selling the house we are in. Spouse lived in Roswell for 25 years (60s-70s-1980s) and still has friends living there. He is going home.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,714 times
Really? EVERY PLACE has crime and drugs!! Roswell can be peaceful if you stay away from those who choose to live ignorantly. Life is what you make it REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE

Old 10-01-2016, 07:44 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times
I almost moved to Roswell and while I did not move there,I was impressed with the town.However, I am aware that it is not the most desirable town out there.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 990 times
I’ve been a small business owner in Roswell for 25 years. We moved from Chicago in the 90’s and have never really wanted to move back. The people are great and we have made a decent living. There have been times of struggle that reflect national and state economic trends. We have not seen a ton of crime but it does happen. I would not say random murder is a big problem. It’s way worse in Albuquerque! Especially with car theft (ABQ). The current mayor has done a lot to improve the crime rate and amenities for tourists. It is a quirky town but not as quirky as Santa Fe or Las Vegas. They’re working on it. I honestly love Roswell. #CTR #UFOCapital

Old 03-01-2019, 03:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanero10 View Post
I have spent a fair amount of time actively examining these threads the last few days, and this comes after nearly two months of extensive research about New Mexico as a state, community, and potential future home. During this time I have read about specific places where I have considered the prospect of relocating to......including Roswell.

Many reports have indicated that Roswell is growing in a very positive, progressive, and fluid direction. However, other reports have referred to Roswell as "CTR" or "Crazy Town Roswell". Now, while I acknowledge that the youth of any community regularly find a sense of distorted pride in their own crime rate, I was curious as to individual resident perspectives on this less than desirable nickname.

I have read that Roswell has had an inordinate amount of violent crimes between 2001 and 2006, but had made vast improvements the last couple of years. Now, I have lived in various east coast cities, as well as traveled regularly both within and outside the country, and therfore understand there is crime everywhere. However, I feel inclined to ask, is the City of Roswell really as "crazy" as their younger generation would like to think it is?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank You.
I never felt in danger or threatened while I was in the Alien City.I think your chances of running into trouble are low as long as you live in the safe part of town, stay away from sketchy areas and the organized crime and drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico