Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:01 AM

69 posts, read 492,255 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to know if the people of New Mexico are accepting to new comers from NJ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Yes .

Old 04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,593 times
So long as you don't keep saying "well back home they do it this way".

Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,772 times
Most people in New Mexico are transplants from other states and even foreign countries, therefore I don't think that they will resent another outsider joining them. The only ones that have the right to be selective are the American Indians who live in "Pueblos" or "Reservations".

Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,147 times
I'm a transplant and have always felt welcomed by those who have lived here a while.

I agree with TKO: avoid comparing this area with where you lived previously. Instead, observe the local culture and make an effort to adapt.

New Mexicans are friendly, honest, hard-working people who seem to be much happier than the folks where I used to live (Palo Alto, CA).

A few things that I learned early on: embrace the Lobo teams, find some time to be outside every day, avoid self engrandizement.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:01 PM

No matter where you move to, you have to be ready to make adjustments and become acculturated with the new way of life, you're not not suppose to fight it or try to change it. That is the reason why I'm so much against those foreigners that refuse to learn English because they don't approve of the United States and yet they are here making money to support their families back home. The worst insult to me is when they parade and display their national flag as if there were a conquering army. Don't take me wrong I'm Hispanic, I love my cultural roots and language but I migrated to the U.S. on my own will, because I admire and respect this Country and I wanted to become an American, otherwise I would have stayed in my native country and criticized the U.S. from THERE if I had any grudge.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 PM

13 posts, read 54,481 times
Default Great place to be !

A guy from NJ ? I think you'll do fine . Originally I am born and raised Spotswood NJ . I have been here for about 13 years . Ten years in Taos and 3 in Albuquerque . I consider NM my home . I enjoy the mix of cultures and find it an easy city to live in . People are from all over . I always run into someone fron NJ . There can be a manana attitude , but I don't find it difficult . I would recommend it highly . It also does depend on what you are looking for . Like outdoor activity, mild winters and low population ?, this is it . City people , incredible clubs and bling ? , keep looking .

Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Howell,

I moved to Las Cruces, New Mexico from New Jersey 2 years ago. I've spent 38 years in New Jersey, the last 2 here. Some observations:

If you can get over the initial shock of overt poverty, relative to what you are used to in New Jersey, that's a big part of the battle. At least it was for me. I was waiting to leave NJ for at least the past 10 years, when my wish finally came true, I could not believe the proponderance of ramshackle housing, mobile home parks, etc. In New Jersey, you can avoid poverty if you want to, just stay out of the cities. In New Mexico, you can't avoid poverty at all. It's everywhere. However, once you come to grips with the fact that if you have a marketable skill, a good paying job, then you don't have to deal with it, until it comes time to shop for food at the Wal-Mart Supercenter. Then, again, poverty abounds. For me, it took at least 1 month to adjust to the scale of impoverished people. You have to understand, therefore, that NJ is either the 1st or 2nd wealthiest state in the nation, in contrast, NM is either 5th or 6th from the bottom. That's an extreme change in culture you must deal with, off hand. Of course, there are pockets of wealth in some areas of New Mexico. Northern Santa Fe, by Tesque, is very well to do. So is the northeastern suburbs of Albuquerque around Tramway. The 88011 zip code in Las Cruces is middle to upper middle class, for the most part. These areas, though are islands, around which poverty abounds. In NJ, the cities are islands of poverty around which wealth abounds. Once I made this adjustment, I was fine. Fine, because what I wanted to get away from in NJ all along has been realized here, namely, a)high taxes and cost of living b) courteous and civilized people who treat you with respect c) the 'rat race' and d) weather. I can't see the point in freezing your ass off for 5 months out of the year. Northern NM, on the other hand, is not nearly as warm as the southern region, where I live. But these factors are what motivated me to go. I am not looking for a nightlife, culture, etc.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Thank you "Mike0421",
I enjoyed your poster filled with sound advice, I hope that you won't mind if I use too, because I'll be moving to Las Cruces from Chicago in November.
I already have a condo there waiting for me (on zip code 88011).

Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 45,579 times
Default Mike

Yeah long as your not a member of the mob,then they will get a rope,,lol,lol just joking,,yeah you will be fine,,New Mexico people are very nice people as Nj people to!!!Larry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico