Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 32,880 times

Advertisements

Hi All -- I've made a few posts asking about various small towns in N. New Mexico. I figured that it might be better to broaden my question: Rather than ask about a specific town, ask you all what small towns are, if not friendly, at least not hostile to outsiders. As to location, our basic criteria are North of I-40, and no further east than Taos, and where you can grow a decent garden (without a greenhouse.)

We've looked at houses in a lot of out of the way places: Vallecitos, Costilla, Cerro, Cuba, Regina, Velarde, Alcalde, etc..... And I've done searches on city-data on all of these places (many times!) And, of course, we try to get info out of realtors, but, well, they want to the sell a house, so they aren't what you'd call unbiased, and we take their opinions with a grain of salt.

We came close to getting a place in Vallecitos last summer, but were held back, being unsure about the attitudes of the locals. Some people we talked to said, if you're a good neighbor, they'll eventually accept you, to those that said, forget it, they'll never accept you.

As I've said before, I can understand oldtimers be leary of new people -- they don't want people coming in and trying to change things, and we both understand and respect that. But in any particular town, once they saw we were just quiet folk, farming and raising animals (just chickens and a cow), would we be able to make friends, be part of the community? Are there any small towns like that in the part of New Mexico we're looking?

(And yes, we know we'd probably do fine in the outskirts of Santa Fe or Taos, but as you all know, it's a lot more expensive in those areas...)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I doubt if different towns are all that different in welcoming new folks. In other words if you are good neighbors they will accept you. Just pay attention to what other folks do for community activities and ask to join. Expect to do some grunt work but that is the test. They all had to do that too. I expect to learn Spanish well enough to converse when I move to NM but that will be a while.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
desrtdenizen: The growing season is quite short north of I-40 and from Taos west.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
Northern New Mexico contains the hillbillies of the Rocky Mountains - most native hispanic people in those isolated towns are descendents of just a few families that came here several hundred years-ago.

Look at homes in towns closer to Taos and Santa Fe proper. Also, once you get north of Chama, you are more in tune with Southern Colorado culture, you can look there too.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:02 PM

65 posts, read 36,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Northern New Mexico contains the hillbillies of the Rocky Mountains - most native hispanic people in those isolated towns are descendents of just a few families that came here several hundred years-ago.

Look at homes in towns closer to Taos and Santa Fe proper. Also, once you get north of Chama, you are more in tune with Southern Colorado culture, you can look there too.
That's a truck load of BS you're selling here!
I lived in those mountains for almost 5 years and the people there are many things, but inbred hillbillies descendants of just a few families they are most definitely not.

Navajo, Hopi, other Native Americans and Euro-Americans live there in a very interesting mix of peoples.
If you are an outsider and insist on behaving like one, then they'll treat you as such.

But if you hit the right tune with those folks, they'll share their last shirt with you in the dead of a winter's night.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:04 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
The Española Valley soundds like the Place..

Not too expensive. Great jobs. Great schools, [EVHS Grad]
Not too urbanized, perfect for gardens and farms.
Perfect sized town of 13,000 with all the stores you need.
The people in Española are very accepting, others will disagree..but I was raised in that area.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:08 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joghurta View Post
That's a truck load of BS you're selling here!
I lived in those mountains for almost 5 years and the people there are many things, but inbred hillbillies descendants of just a few families they are most definitely not.
I lived in those mountains for 15 years, and I loved every minute of it. Martinez, Vigil, Baca, Otero, Chavez, Aragon, and Lujan - you met, and and have known many of them.

Anywhoo...

An easy and fun historical read:

EatingNM: Hispanics (http://www.foodmuseum.com/xeatNMhispanics.html - broken link)

A nice history about Juan Bautista Vigil, for those not familiar:

New Mexico Office of the State Historian : Juan Bautista Vigil y Alarid (1792-1866)

Old 05-17-2009, 04:40 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
Maybe all of us that want to move to Northern New Mexico should pick the same town so we have friends. Just kidding, I really want to move to N New Mexico myself, the Chama area. I am going to check Pagosa Springs out this year while I stay at Corkin's Lodge this September.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Isn't Pagosa Springs in Colorado?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Default Pagosa Springs

Yes, it is, but it's not far from New Mexico.

I'm curious about your user name. Are you someone who is bright that loves dogs, or do you only love bright dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico