Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:20 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times

Advertisements

I can handle 90, but if humid I can't handle much at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 12:36 PM

The CofC has TorC listed at an average 90 degrees. Probably an old website put up before global warming. Ha.

Anyone want a virtual tour of TorC, go to

http://www.truthorconsequencesnm.net/area_TorC_about.htm (broken link)

then click on virtual tour.

What I like about TorC is the hot springs, the river, and the lake. Who knows, when we stop and see the town, we may stay or we may not.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 09-01-2006 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
It is indeed a dry heat there - but anything over 100-105 still feels wicked hot, even when there is 20% humidity. To the point where you don't even sweat anymore cause it is so hot and dry the sweat evaporates from your body. It kind of feels like your lungs are getting roasted every time you take a breath LOL!

Seventh ring of hell - sounds about right Mark!

Come on up here to PA - we are about to get flooded and blown away by Ernesto. Can't win this summer. We are either roasting and humid or swimming to get our mail!

Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 PM

Gretchenpaints,

Where are they putting the Nascar track? I moved to a place in Florida that had a race track. I lasted maybe 3 months before moving, so it would be good to know if they have land purchased and where?

Old 09-01-2006, 06:55 PM

102 posts, read 586,414 times
I think it really comes down to what you value. When I was in TC, I didn’t think of it as a bad place. The people I encountered there were friendly, they had a couple of decent restaurants, the mineral baths are a plus. The commercial area is a little ragged.

The way I look at it the positives are

Very affordable housing
Two large lakes (by NM standards) in the area
Mild winter weather, little or no snow, and lots of sunny days

the negatives for me

Crime seems high
Yes it’s a desert (this doesn’t bother me that much, I have lived in a desert before, but I do like some vegetation)
It’s pretty small there may not be a lot to do

I think TC has some potential with the water close by and mild winters (big draw for retired folks). They definitely need some quality development to come in, I’m not sure a NASCAR track would be the best move.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,248 times
Hello All. I just had to stop in here for a bit since I've spent some time in TorC. My parents lived there after they retired. It's been 15 years since I've visited the area and I was sorry to hear how bad the crime has become. It used to be a peaceful place.
I did used to enjoy my rather long visits there. Yes it did get kind of hot but it did not seem as hot as many other desert cities. There was hardly any snow in winter and the daytime temperatures were okay.
Now I'm am getting to retirement age and I may consider moving there. At this point I just don't know where I'll end up but the warm dry weather sure sounds good to me.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Hello all, My first post here, but I've been lurking for a little while.....Have been considering a move to NM for some time. The TorC area seemed a natural for me because of the lakes. I manage yachts in southwest FL, so I kind of gravitate to areas where I'm likely to find boats.

Was wondering if any of you could speak to the type of marine industry in TorC. I know there is at least one marina, but are there boat dealers, brokers, boat maintenance outfits? Do they thrive, or are they more seasonal? Just trying to get a feel for small business opportunities in the area.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S
To be fair, I HATE heat. I couldn't live in the desert. The thermostat hits 80 degrees, and I'm ready to join a nudist colony in Nome.
That really cracked me up! I mean I actually let out a chuckle! (you know how you can "get a chuckle" but it's not vocal, or you can actually make some sort of chuckle like noise... )
80 is my limit too - for cold!!! Below 80 & I'm breaking out second layers & drinking hot chocolate!!!!!!! (Dead serious!) Hmmm - though it's 78 now & I'm actually nice & warm...Must be the THICK hiking socks I'm wearing! )

Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times
I am more like Mark S. I would be there in Nome, Alaska, naked and in the polar bear club skinny dipping in the nice cold water! T or C seems hot as habernaro peppers to me but some who are cold natured would probably like it.

Yachtcare, Morgan Marine is there in T or C, here is the address and phone number. They could answer you on your questions. I hope it is still there! I haven't been through there in over a year.
Morgan Marine
1301 N Highway 51
T or C, NM
505-894-3110

Old 04-12-2007, 02:30 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,611 times
Default Truth or Consequences ( T or C ) (TorC)

I drove through TorC yesterday and looked all around the town.TorC seems kinda weird, like one of those towns that you would see on the movies that mess with city folks.The town was dead at 6pm,like it was almost deserted.It seemed kinda like a cult town,does anyone have any info on this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico