Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 09:58 PM

51 posts, read 112,199 times

Advertisements

Sorry your experience here was so bad DontDoIt, I have to admit that if I worked in retail i'd hate it. Course i'd hate working retail anywhere. The wind can get to you after a while too.
For me the benefits of living here far far outweigh whatever detriments there might be.
I also admit to being biased. I have friends here. Not many but some really good ones. I seldom have to deal with people who aren't friendly (no matter where I live) because of health issues. (I don't get out much) Luckily, my friends and family help me get out of the house enough for me to maintain my illusion of sanity, and I help them with geek work. (used to be supernerd for a living)
I'm also pretty much a self starter when it comes to entertainment.
If you're the type that needs clubs, movieplexes etc, this is DEFINATELY not the place for you. If you like driving around looking at wildlife, goin fishing etc, I still would say T or C isn't bad. Finding people you like is pretty much the key, even for a loner like me.
Don't think i'd like working here either to be honest. Firstly because there are few if any jobs that fit my area of expertise, and the ones there are have people in them already. Everything else is pretty much service, or retail it seems.
My belief is that most any place can be ok. Just gotta find the right people to be with, and suddenly things don't seem as bad. Heck, I lived in a place with less stuff than this, and loved it too so maybe i'm just wierd. 9 months of winter, about 500 people spread out over 50 miles, smack dab in the middle of the national forest. 40 miles to the nearest small town, ice pack the whole way, housebound much of the winter (60 below is hard on a person). And i loved every minute of it. We fed the deer and moose in the yard, picked huckleberries, hunted, fished, rode atvs, it was great!
Oh well sorry for the long windedness, I guess my point is, if anyone is thinking of moving here, don't take any of our words for it. Come stay for a while, rent a house, look around, meet people, and decide for yourself. Like so many other things in life, such a decision is extremely subjective so come .. 'subject yourself' to our little town and see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times
Smile Good Honest Post

Very good post, I had to rate you positively on your opinions, good and honest. my wife works at a local retail establishment, and everything you've written about is the absolute truth. one wonders if at least 1/2 of customers coming into retailers are thieves. and it is true about trying to find help, most can't pass a drug screen or criminal background check, and this is a very bad stigma for the town. and, you're right, where my wife works, they'll hire 3 people, and the next week they've quit. it difficult to keep people working. the climate? it's something someone would have to get used to, maybe that's why snowbirds stays are brief, usually only a few months in the winter. good post!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontDoIt View Post
I worked and lived in T or C for about 6 months. I managed a retail store there. In those 6 months I was cussed out about a dozen times by angry customers. I was assaulted by a fellow employ after confronting them on stealing. I ended up firing 4 people for theft. I interviewed 10 people while i was there and 6 passed the drug test. The 6 that pasted all got hired and 4 of them ended up quitting before the first week was over. Groups of kids would come in after school let out and just rob us blind. I complained to the cops weekly but they couldn’t care less. They told me it was up to me to keep them out if I didn’t want them there. Women would come in and open the boxes of tampax and steal a hand full out and leave the rest sitting there. We could not keep home pregnancy tests in stock. We would get a case of 10 in on Monday and they would be all gone by the weekend. My car was hit in the parking lot twice. Just small dents but still not fun. I had to order propane for the house i was living in and when the driver got there he had to be 90 years old! Guess what? He backed into the wall of the house! Then he acted like it was no big lol. Luckily it was a rental so I was able to pawn that headache of on the owner. The weather is horrible. Hot, dry, and windy. Every time you go outside it fells like a gigantic hair dryer is blowing on you. There not much to do. There is a 1 screen movie theater that shows family movies that have been out for a while. It smells moldy and the floors are sticky lol. I’m a single guy and all the single women i meet had 3 kids. I have been working in retail for 10 year i have worked and lived in some real crappy places but none were as depressing as T or C. I was so desperate to get out of there i just quit my job and left. But there is a nice lake close by.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM

Default All True

The first thing I'd noticed about the town of T or C when I first arrived here 3 years ago was how run down everything seemed to be, I rated your post positively because of your honesty. and some sanity is found when you get away from the town and really discover the beauty of the surrounding areas! let's get together sometime and do coffee or a day trip to Gila, I know a great couple of picnic areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgis View Post
Sorry your experience here was so bad DontDoIt, I have to admit that if I worked in retail i'd hate it. Course i'd hate working retail anywhere. The wind can get to you after a while too.
For me the benefits of living here far far outweigh whatever detriments there might be.
I also admit to being biased. I have friends here. Not many but some really good ones. I seldom have to deal with people who aren't friendly (no matter where I live) because of health issues. (I don't get out much) Luckily, my friends and family help me get out of the house enough for me to maintain my illusion of sanity, and I help them with geek work. (used to be supernerd for a living)
I'm also pretty much a self starter when it comes to entertainment.
If you're the type that needs clubs, movieplexes etc, this is DEFINATELY not the place for you. If you like driving around looking at wildlife, goin fishing etc, I still would say T or C isn't bad. Finding people you like is pretty much the key, even for a loner like me.
Don't think i'd like working here either to be honest. Firstly because there are few if any jobs that fit my area of expertise, and the ones there are have people in them already. Everything else is pretty much service, or retail it seems.
My belief is that most any place can be ok. Just gotta find the right people to be with, and suddenly things don't seem as bad. Heck, I lived in a place with less stuff than this, and loved it too so maybe i'm just wierd. 9 months of winter, about 500 people spread out over 50 miles, smack dab in the middle of the national forest. 40 miles to the nearest small town, ice pack the whole way, housebound much of the winter (60 below is hard on a person). And i loved every minute of it. We fed the deer and moose in the yard, picked huckleberries, hunted, fished, rode atvs, it was great!
Oh well sorry for the long windedness, I guess my point is, if anyone is thinking of moving here, don't take any of our words for it. Come stay for a while, rent a house, look around, meet people, and decide for yourself. Like so many other things in life, such a decision is extremely subjective so come .. 'subject yourself' to our little town and see how it goes.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 08-12-2008 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly! If you want something to do? are you into rock hunting, or hanging out with "Normal People"? we should meet up sometime, I do coffee at my Rv, which isn't a piece of trash, and we go to different places all the time, usually the forests. Occasionally, well, we cook out alot too. no drugs, maybe a nip now and then, but really normal folks. have you left yet? if you haven't, lets rap.

I swear to God, it's Murphy's Law !
I JUST left TrC last week, and am sitting in the Las Cruces Library using internet for the first time in a looong time!

Where were you when I needed you??
Oh well, I really liked your post, though. THANKS!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 AM

Default Already gone?

yup, murphy's law. I know how that is. when the heck did you move? send me a message sometime, keep in touch, getting together can't be that difficult!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:56 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
Highdesertmutz! Sorry I could not hook up with you over our whirlwind trip to NM but time and circumstances precluded us from touching ground for very long in any one spot. If we can ever dig out of our current financial quagmire we'll be back, to borrow a line from the Terminator*.

TorC IS pretty dead in many respects but its twin...Elephant Butte...seems considerably healthier. After examining available vacant retail properties in TorC and getting a feel for the place, we've decided not to risk investing there at this time. The Butte would be a firmer place to investigate.

The weather was grand over the last week. All of NM was green and flowered; what a nice surprise! My land was covered in yellow flowers, red ants and large yellow and black caterpillars. Odd critters. No snakes...so no one need panic or run for armament Wish we could have stayed longer but our recent setbacks put quite a short leash on our getaway. We were lucky to break away at all! >2,000 miles in four days; not bad huh?!

*Christmas time will either see us venturing south again to NM or I'll be recovering from hand surgery. Too early to tell yet how that cast of the dice will land.

Last edited by dracul; 08-16-2008 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Not sure when we will be back...but mama is determined we will be!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:33 PM

Default Miles and Miles

yes, that many miles in such a short period of time? I have only done that once, milwaukee wisconsin to long island NY, to chester NY and back to Milwaukee in 52 hours, I was dead.
I don't think we could have done much anyway, my van broke down, and was preoccupied trying to get it fixed before my wife's next work day. without proper test equipment, I ended up replacing battery and starter. now I'm in the financial bind.
hope your surgery goes well. sometimes things on a human can be fixed, sometimes not. you might be taking a 50/50 risk. I don't know about surgeries, only when they work great, it's a miracle.
yes, T or C doesn't have much going. I assume property values are over-rated and high priced. I for one, would never invest in a place like this.
""""NEWS FLASH"""********
walmart opened. big deal. went there and spent 100 bucks, and nothing we purchased was a real value, in other words, their prices are high compared to local businesses. one report: people were having their prescriptions transferred from davis/fleck to wally world, only to find out, wally world didn't stock their medications!!!! so, they had to transfer them back to davis/fleck!!! what a hassle.
I WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH THIS WALMART. PERIOD.
In other news. The high desert rains surely did make everything come to life. the mountains surrounding the town of T or C are green, and not sandy colored anymore. and, seems that all critters never seen before are sprouting legs and wings. I receive a almost daily visit from local hummingbirds now. their population apparently had exploded. now, even the rv park manager has been seeing an abundance of rattlesnake activity too.
ahhh, christmastime. my favorite time of the year. I put up the faux christmas tree on the table outside, no space in the trailer for a tree, decorate it with care, and place two 20 pound rocks on the stand to keep it from blowing across the rv lot!! I'm always chasing the little ornaments that have blown across the lot. last year, we lost almost all of them. dollar stores love us.
maybe by april or may, we'll be joplin bound.
If you own property here, it should have doubled in value from last year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Highdesertmutz! Sorry I could not hook up with you over our whirlwind trip to NM but time and circumstances precluded us from touching ground for very long in any one spot. If we can ever dig out of our current financial quagmire we'll be back, to borrow a line from the Terminator*.

TorC IS pretty dead in many respects but its twin...Elephant Butte...seems considerably healthier. After examining available vacant retail properties in TorC and getting a feel for the place, we've decided not to risk investing there at this time. The Butte would be a firmer place to investigate.

The weather was grand over the last week. All of NM was green and flowered; what a nice surprise! My land was covered in yellow flowers, red ants and large yellow and black caterpillars. Odd critters. No snakes...so no one need panic or run for armament Wish we could have stayed longer but our recent setbacks put quite a short leash on our getaway. We were lucky to break away at all! >2,000 miles in four days; not bad huh?!

*Christmas time will either see us venturing south again to NM or I'll be recovering from hand surgery. Too early to tell yet how that cast of the dice will land.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 AM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
My wife simply loves the region...it's inexplicable. I'm fond of TorC/Elephant Butte as well, but less dedicated to our relocation there than she is. I will do as I'm told, however. I know better than to cross sabers with the boss!!! The anticipated move will require imagination, lots of work and an eclectic approach. No one trajectory will suffice.

The hand troubles me friend...a lot. It seems to be stiffening up somewhat and even typing like this has become a chore. I can only use the forefinger and thumb of my right hand on the keyboard. Not good. I exercise this mitt with diligence using both light and very heavy resistance (one handed dumb bell wrist curls with up to 120 pounds for instance) but I've had no improvement. The MRI shows that the infection did indeed somehow snap a tendon connecting my middle finger with the extensor digitorum complex. Additionally, the dorsal carpal ligament and the underlying tendon sheaths have hardened into a pronounced bolus just distal of my wrist bones. This sucks...although I try to stay optimistic. All this from a CAT BITE!!!!! No amount of rehab can regrow the tendon and reduce this heavy scaring I'm afraid. I've talked to two surgeons so far and want to consult one more at least before I risk the knife. Considering the fact that I'm an artist whose entire life resides in this paw is a bit unsettling to say the least...at any rate my left hand is becoming much more adept generally. No choice in the matter really.

Mama said that if we go ahead with the surgery around Christmas that maybe we can find a way to have a little celebration and head down to the Florida Keys for a little R&R, post op. We'll see. I do love the Caribbean. But money is very, VERY tight now so I can't predict anything for awhile.

I hope the value of the land we have there in TorC has escalated a bit. Times are tough.

Last edited by dracul; 08-17-2008 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: DON'T anger your cats!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:40 PM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
When you look at the real estate mags it would appear that land and homes
have gone up a lot in the past two years but I sure know a lot of people here
in T or C and the butte who want out bad and even after lowering the asking
on their houses they have had no bites at all. I want to sell mine soon but
I know better than to put it on the market now. I'm heading over to the
cool (high) country tomorrow to look to see if there are any bargins in the
cooler zone. Might even go on over to Roswell to see what's happening.

I also agree about the Walmart post and I'm not very impressed either.
They have really lost their price edge and now I would be just as happy
to go to a nice smiths or Albertsons. The only edge that the new T or C
Walmart might have is that they carry some things that are difficult to
find here. I've also been hearing rumors that the new Motorplex may
give up on building here but these could just be some more rumors that
seem to run rampant around here.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 AM

Default The Hiring Process of an Unskilled Labor Force

Yes, this is a believable post. and, what you note about hiring processes is true, nearly all potential employers have drug screens and background check done with new employees.
I used to work for a taxi company in southeast wisconsin many years ago. some of the people he hired looked much like they arrived freshly from skid row.
One day, I was in the command and control center, and was watching the boss's hiring etiquite. I was also watching the boss go over trip sheets with a new hire. Since none of the cabs had meters in them, the city council adopted a zone plan for charging fares. If a driver went from zone 5 to zone 1, he or she was always to subtract 25 cents for cossing the center zone, it was a complicated zone fare arrangement. sometimes, this little rule about crossing the center zone would trip up new drivers, and consequently, charged the wrong fare, and, the boss would fine the driver the 25 cents for charging the wrong fares. sometimes his method worked, because no driver wanted to even give up a quarter to the boss, who could be a real jerk at times.
so, after going over this one driver's trip sheet, he went onto the hiring process. a new guy, that did look like he'd slept in his clothes. I guess if one could pass a test of what fare to charge, you would be hired. I watched the boss grill this new hire for a lengthy period of time, and saw the boss loosing his patience with the man. finally, he hired the guy with the stipulation that the dispatcher was to tell him what to charge for every fare run.
after the command center cleared, I asked the boss why he was getting so short of patience, and asked or questioned him about his hiring process. He turned to me and said, bob, I look for 3 things when hiring new applicants, and, can I guess what they are? I said, well, one must be appearance, but was stumped on the other two. the boss said you're wrong bob. as I looked at him with a puzzled facial expression. he said, walking, talking and breathing is what he looks for in new hires. LOL
I told him that this couldn't be the reason you hired me as your repairman or technician. he said no, he knew I was capable of handling any repairs to the cars that his idiots (drivers) could throw at me.
so, there you have it in a nutshell. why do companies try to hire unskilled persons? just remember the 3 prerequisites named here. everything else, like experience is overlooked. because most of the time, the company will train you for the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontDoIt View Post
I worked and lived in T or C for about 6 months. I managed a retail store there. In those 6 months I was cussed out about a dozen times by angry customers. I was assaulted by a fellow employ after confronting them on stealing. I ended up firing 4 people for theft. I interviewed 10 people while i was there and 6 passed the drug test. The 6 that pasted all got hired and 4 of them ended up quitting before the first week was over. Groups of kids would come in after school let out and just rob us blind. I complained to the cops weekly but they couldn’t care less. They told me it was up to me to keep them out if I didn’t want them there. Women would come in and open the boxes of tampax and steal a hand full out and leave the rest sitting there. We could not keep home pregnancy tests in stock. We would get a case of 10 in on Monday and they would be all gone by the weekend. My car was hit in the parking lot twice. Just small dents but still not fun. I had to order propane for the house i was living in and when the driver got there he had to be 90 years old! Guess what? He backed into the wall of the house! Then he acted like it was no big lol. Luckily it was a rental so I was able to pawn that headache of on the owner. The weather is horrible. Hot, dry, and windy. Every time you go outside it fells like a gigantic hair dryer is blowing on you. There not much to do. There is a 1 screen movie theater that shows family movies that have been out for a while. It smells moldy and the floors are sticky lol. I’m a single guy and all the single women i meet had 3 kids. I have been working in retail for 10 year i have worked and lived in some real crappy places but none were as depressing as T or C. I was so desperate to get out of there i just quit my job and left. But there is a nice lake close by.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 08-18-2008 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico