Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 03:08 PM

45 posts, read 108,751 times

Advertisements

Thx so much TKO - I'll check out the HUD website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlumDucky View Post
Thx Poncho~, 80's~ and Mal~. This site and all you peeps are just terrific! You're making me feel like trying to help somebody who might be relocating to my town

Gonna be checking out all of your suggestions, eventually. Y'all are making me wanna get started on a trip out there, but can't this soon I'm afraid - not sure yet how soon.

Probably would swing down off the highway (if I remember correctly) to Alamogordo, then on to Las Cruces, Deming, and Silver City.

I googled for "colonia":
  • In Spanish, "colonia" refers to a residential neighborhood. The word has been adopted to referr to colonia rural settlements along the U.S.-Mexican border. ...
  • Colonia is a country subdivision term.
  • In general, colonias are neighborhoods in Mexican cities, which have no jurisdictional autonomy or representation. ...
  • Unincorporated communities along the US-Mexico border.
It all sounds very interesting (not just "colonia") - haven't traveled anywhere for quite a while now. Thx so much for your replies. I'll be checking out the Google streetviews.
You could be surprised at what gets considered a "colonia" sometimes -- there are some that are obviously shanty towns, but others are not any different than rural communities just outside town in other parts of the country. Often they are mixed with nice homes, older mobile homes, newer mobile homes. They were built by people who built up their own homes and did their own landscaping, had wells drilled and septic tanks put in - just like similar neighborhoods elsewhere.

In older colonias or neighborhoods that started as colonias but have all the electricity, water, paved streets, and sewers you could want, you can find homes that rent for $400-$500 a month and have good sized back yards which are perfectly liveable. You can get cheaper - but you'd be looking at mobile homes, smaller lots or gravel and dirt roads which is still fine unless you can't live that way.

In many of the nicer colonias, the houses are mostly normal houses and nicer mobile homes - and you can have chickens, gardens, clotheslines - it's just a semi-rural life - people with their own plot of land and building them up their own way. The houses are more varied than in the gated communities where all the houses look the same and the yards must be kept manicured and there are many rules placed on you.

I guess the nice thing is you can google some of these areas - or drive though them but they can be a real bargain and you have space between yourself and neighbors.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM

45 posts, read 108,751 times
Thx so much Mal~. (and to anyone else I may not have thanked personally). I'm so glad I decided to revisit this website/forum.

One thing I haven't done, yet, is to find out the specifics about the accepted rent figures from the housing authority. The language on their site is, "Rent and utilites must be reasonable and within Payment Standard". Will be checking into it.

Do you have a pet Malamute, or breed them? Just curiosity. Do the terms Malamute and Husky basically mean the same thing?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,147 times
I just got back from a trip to T or C and was shocked. We wanted to stay at the hot springs and do a little kayaking trip. The hot springs were great as was the river trip, but the town was down right creepy. I am not saying that to be offensive, but as a matter of perspective, it was extremely disturbing. My husband and I love an eclectic town, but this was not that. We tried to walk around downtown and did not see another person except 4 meth-heads tweaked out of their minds.....not a guess, but a fact. We went to the theatre at night for something to do and again saw no one outside on the way or afterwards, strange. Later we went to get an ice cream at sonic....lets just say, I wish we wouldn't have. The next day by the river, there were yet more tweakers we talked to. We spent plenty of time driving around exploring and just found it strange that we never saw any people....anywhere with exception to the meth zombies! The vibe that town was sending was not eclectic, it was addiction. Of course there are drug problems everywhere, especially small towns, but based on our experience, T or C had a severe problem. Moderator cut: Off Topic, Inappropriate, Slurs, Trolling It might be that the locals have other places they hang out, but we traveled the entire span of the town and found the same was true throughout. It is not somewhere I would like to visit again.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-09-2010 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
I was interested in T or C at one point, but realized that I needed to be in a town where I didn't have to drive to everything to get general supplies.

I loved the hot springs there, too, and I did (although this was a few years ago now) see people there, I also saw some of what you described. I had very mixed feelings about it.

I wonder if any T or C residents will come on and tell us more??? Please????

Maybe the drug problems have gotten worse -- I don't recall seeing any (and working law enforcement, I know how to tell!) meth heads, but, as you say, they're everywhere. But maybe they have a big lab in town now -- it is a cloistered place, and it might be a good place for a lab.

It's a shame because I hoped that the space program would bring in something -- anything -- but I guess the only thing it brought in was a Walmart.....

Anyone else have updated info on T or C????

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:32 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
I heard high desert mutz died in a rollover accident 4 wheeling in cibola. He was 57.
One man was killed in a alcohol related boating accident a couple of weeks ago, and one person has been re-charged with OWI.
http://heraldpub.com/news.pdf

The spaceport runway is nearly completed, we should see more flights now and they'll be able to land at the port. BTW, the spaceport has a new director after some things made the previous one resign.
It's the same old stuff in T or C, not much has changed yet.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:37 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmchick View Post
Walmart has opened and so far only a couple of places have closed as a result. I was ambivalent about it but must say it's nice to be able to buy some things here you can't find anywhere else in town, and not have to go to Cruces! Haven't been there (Las Cruces) since last Sept. Hot Springs Land Development hasn't mentioned a word about the Motorplex for months; latest press said they've partnered with BP Solar to build a solar power plant here. I only hope it's more true than other things they've said they were going to do. Spaceport America IS being built; 3 of the 13 contracts have been placed. There are still some nice shops in town, and the one that carries thousands of genuine NM made inventory items is still around after 3 years (Celestial Creations), as are several good restaurants, including Cafe Bella Luca, Happy Belly Deli, La Pinata, Little Sprout & more. And hey, you still can't beat the prices to soak at any of the 10 bath houses, with natural hot mineral water with NO sulphur smell! The locals are hangin' in...
Bullock's still has the best meat and meat selection in town. Extensive liquor department too.
What meth freaks?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
Hombre57: I heard high desert mutz died in a rollover accident 4 wheeling in cibola. He was 57.
The spaceport runway is nearly completed, we should see more flights now and they'll be able to land at the port. BTW, the spaceport has a new director after some things made the previous one resign.
It's the same old stuff in T or C, not much has changed yet.
Wow, that's really sad about Desert Mutz. Yeah, he has been missing. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
That's very sad. I remember having interesting conversations with High Desert Mutz. My younger brother died last March at the same age of 57.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
HDM - RIP - That is so sad. My condolences to his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico