Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:15 PM

69 posts, read 448,567 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I didn't see this posted anywhere and I was wondering if this state has many insects or any animal that are poisonous like rattlesnacks, Black Widows, etc. I'm planning on taking a trip in the albuquerque area and any info that can be given on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
There are a couple of threads that will make for good reading.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ghlight=snakes

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...-critters.html

You could encounter a snake in the Albuquerque just give them their room and they won't bother you.
You could also come into contact with a mountain lion or bear on the east side.
Coyote and bobcat pretty much anywhere around abq. Coyotes won't bother you to much they are just after your cat or dog. Give them a good yell and they will dissapper.

Check the links above a bunch of really good info in them.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 PM

292 posts, read 725,033 times
Default critters

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much with the exception of black widows and scorpions. Black widows are very common, and form webs in places that are easy to get bitten at, such as by water hoses, corners, and the like. Scorpions are also around, though I'd argue they're not as common. Unfortunately for me, I was stung by a scorpion in my bedroom a few years ago. It wasn't pleasant, but thankfully there aren't any poisonous ones in this part of New Mexico.

As far as snakes go, just look at where you step when your hiking, especially by large rocks. Besides that, it's not too bad in terms of the frequency of critters. Go to someplace hot and humid and you'll wish they were as common as in New Mexico!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 PM

37 posts, read 190,437 times
New Mexico is hantavirus country. Don't breathe in any rodent urine fumes while you're there.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM

49 posts, read 364,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much with the exception of black widows and scorpions. Black widows are very common, and form webs in places that are easy to get bitten at, such as by water hoses, corners, and the like. Scorpions are also around, though I'd argue they're not as common. Unfortunately for me, I was stung by a scorpion in my bedroom a few years ago. It wasn't pleasant, but thankfully there aren't any poisonous ones in this part of New Mexico.

As far as snakes go, just look at where you step when your hiking, especially by large rocks. Besides that, it's not too bad in terms of the frequency of critters. Go to someplace hot and humid and you'll wish they were as common as in New Mexico!
All Scorpions are poisonous, some just pack more then others, but to say NM doesn't have any poisonous Scorps is wrong. Even the little bit of poison if your allergic you will die.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Scorpions are venomous, not poisonous. ;-) And yes, theyre ALL venomous. NM doesnt have any species that are considered overly dangerous. Only Arizona has one species (Centruroides sculpturatus/exilicauda) that is potentially lethal.

Black widows are very common in NM, so just watch where you put your hands and feet. The species youll encounter in NM is Latrodectus hesperus (western widow). You can google their Latin names I provide to get lots more info.

Rattlesnakes are very common in NM, so once again just watch where you tread and give them space. DO NOT KILL THEM!!! Theyre instrumental in controlling the disease-spreading rodent population. And the fact that NM holds rattlesnake roundups is absolutely appalling to me. Ive petitioned the governor on this matter. Please respect them, theyre not that dangerous. Only 1/10th of 1% of snakebite victims die, and its mostly because the snake was instigated.

Other critters to look out for would be: Scolopendra species (giant centipedes). These arent considered lethal, but can deliver horrible venomous bites. There are a few species of tarantula in NM too, but they are also harmless. They can give bad bites, but most are as gentle as a puppy dog. Noone has ever died from a tarantula bite, no matter what some idiots will say. LOL If you see one wandering, its probably a male in search of a mate. Once they reach their penultimate molt, they develop tibial spurs, which they charge with sperm, and from there on out, they spend their remaining few months in search of a female to mate with, then they die. Just leave them alone, they wont hurt you, no matter how menacing they look. ;-)

This is jsut a general run-down, if you have any more questions, let me know, Ill be glad to answer. I keep these as "pets" and study them extensively. I even spend time in KS, MO, AZ, NM studying them in their natural environments. Theyre truly unique critters with undeserved bad reputations.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:34 PM

I worked for the ZOO and we also teach the children. I have studied them for 20 plus years. Some are poisonous!!! and NM also haves the bark Scorp..That is very poisonous

Only one of the 30 species of scorpions found in Arizona is regarded as life-threatening - Centruroides exilicauda, or the Bark Scorpion. It may be distinguished from other less toxic species by its more slender tail segments and pincers. Reaching only an inch and a half at maturity, it is a comparatively small scorpion. Scorpions are relatively inactive during the daylight hours.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 PM

Please teach people the facts!!!!

Scorpions are arachnids, close relatives of ticks, mites and spiders.

# There are approximately 1,300 species of scorpions worldwide, characterized by an elongated body and a segmented tail that is tipped with a venomous stinger.

Scorpions are very common in the Southern an Southwestern States.

# Most are not poisonous ,except for two species found in the southwestern states like Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas.

#

Scorpions are commonly thought of as desert animals, but in fact, they occur in many other habitats as well, including grasslands and savannas, deciduous forests, pine forests, rain forest and caves.

# Appearance

# Size:

Scorpions have long, slender body WIth a 5-segmented tail that be arched over the back.

Varies between species, but most measure about 2 inches fully grown.

# Color:
Can vary widely between yellow, blue, reddish brown, and black.

Most of the scorpions that enter dwellings are not poisonous, their stings like those of bees or wasps.

see that NEW MEXICO

SHAKES HER HEAD AND MOVES ON****

Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

And the fact that NM holds rattlesnake roundups is absolutely appalling to me. Ive petitioned the governor on this matter.
I have heard that the Roundup will not go on anymore. I have not found any info via search engine that will confirm that yet.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallista View Post
Please teach people the facts!!!!

Scorpions are arachnids, close relatives of ticks, mites and spiders.

# There are approximately 1,300 species of scorpions worldwide, characterized by an elongated body and a segmented tail that is tipped with a venomous stinger.

Scorpions are very common in the Southern an Southwestern States.

# Most are not poisonous ,except for two species found in the southwestern states like Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas.

#

Scorpions are commonly thought of as desert animals, but in fact, they occur in many other habitats as well, including grasslands and savannas, deciduous forests, pine forests, rain forest and caves.

# Appearance

# Size:

Scorpions have long, slender body WIth a 5-segmented tail that be arched over the back.

Varies between species, but most measure about 2 inches fully grown.

# Color:
Can vary widely between yellow, blue, reddish brown, and black.

Most of the scorpions that enter dwellings are not poisonous, their stings like those of bees or wasps.

see that NEW MEXICO

SHAKES HER HEAD AND MOVES ON****
What!?!?!? Tell people to teach the "facts", then give this? ALLLLLLLL (not only some) scorpions are VENOMOUS, not poisonous. Poison is something that is secreted through pores, uncontrolled in its delivery by its host. Venom has to be injected subcutaneously and can be controlled by its host. In fact most scorpion stings and snake bites are "dry", meaning the critter chose not to deliver venom, in hopes of conserving it. The elongated tail is a metasoma, the venom storage area is known as a vesicle, the stinger itself a aculeus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico