Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:06 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
You're welcome as well. One more thing about the weather in ABQ I've noticed although don't know exactly how to quantify it. The difference between sun and shade in terms of temp and how hot you feel is the most profound of any place I've lived. Haven't lived elsewhere in the desert so maybe this is a desert thing and would be true in NM or AZ...?
It's kind of a desert thing. Low humidity means less moisture in the air which helps filter out Ultraviolet (UV) radiation. UV is what burns you. Since there is less moisture in the air, you really don't sweat, it evaporates quickly. Sort of like when you are cooking, Baking vs Broiling...

You can also get more UV in the desert from reflection from the ground, which you don't get in a lush forrest or lawn...

Right now at 9:00 am The UV Index forcast for Albuquerque, The UV Index forecast for Tuesday, April 13, 2010 is : 8, very high
"Protection against sun damage is needed. If you need to be outside during midday hours between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., take steps to reduce sun exposure. A shirt, hat and sunscreen are a must, and be sure you seek shade.

Beachgoers should know that white sand and other bright surfaces reflect UV and can double UV exposure."
EPA | Envirofacts Warehouse | UV Index

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
I'd choose Las Cruces for the facts of lower precipitation (less snow for bikers) and the fact you're only about 61 miles from Elephant Butte Lake and it's many recreational opportunities. Duke City is nice, more populated, but cycle riding is nearly a year round thing the further south in the state you get. I see die hard riders around Sierra and Dona Ana Counties nearly 12 months of the year. You'd be only another 60 some miles from El Paso Texas too. More and larger shopping centers.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM

23 posts, read 80,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I'd choose Las Cruces for the facts of lower precipitation (less snow for bikers) and the fact you're only about 61 miles from Elephant Butte Lake and it's many recreational opportunities. Duke City is nice, more populated, but cycle riding is nearly a year round thing the further south in the state you get. I see die hard riders around Sierra and Dona Ana Counties nearly 12 months of the year. You'd be only another 60 some miles from El Paso Texas too. More and larger shopping centers.
Yeah that's true Hombre57. There is great riding down there for sure! Thanks for responding.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie26 View Post
Yeah that's true Hombre57. There is great riding down there for sure! Thanks for responding.
Early morning rides through New Mexico Highway 152 in the Gila are awesome. Little stopovers like Iron Creek and Railroad Canyon are good cooling spots in the afternoons.

I'm not at all familiar with the crime rate stats. in Las Cruces though. I do know El Paso has has border problems in the recent past. You could check those out simply by entering duke city and las cruces zip codes into the city data search engine to find those. Good Luck with your choosing.
As far as I know, Sierra County where I reside doesn't have much in the way of crime.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Early morning rides through New Mexico Highway 152 in the Gila are awesome. Little stopovers like Iron Creek and Railroad Canyon are good cooling spots in the afternoons.

I'm not at all familiar with the crime rate stats. in Las Cruces though. I do know El Paso has has border problems in the recent past. You could check those out simply by entering duke city and las cruces zip codes into the city data search engine to find those. Good Luck with your choosing.
As far as I know, Sierra County where I reside doesn't have much in the way of crime.
Sounds good Hombre57. Thanks! I will look into it!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,564 times
ABQ is a great place to live in many ways... 4 mild seasons... 310 days of sunshine... a city with a lot to offer but without being congested like the biggest 25 cities in the USA. The downsides are there is more poverty and related issues of drugs, alcoholism, school dropouts, and crime than you'd first think based on how clean and well kept the city is. If you can afford to live in the less poor areas then it is not likely you'd experience these problems. By New Mexico standards, ABQ is a relatively expensive place to live, and there is a decent chance to find a good job.

I've not lived in Las Cruces but I've traveled there and I read the ABQ Journal newspaper daily, so I have some impressions. My impressions are Las Cruces is less expensive than ABQ by a fair bit, and has about the same relative level of poverty and related issues. But since Las Cruces is a small city compared to ABQ, there is quite a bit less to do in the city. Since El Paso isn't that far away and NM State University is in Las Cruces, the lack of things to do is moderated quite a bit.

I live in ABQ and love it. I've met folks that live in Las Cruces and they love it. As for Arizona, I've traveled through most of it and while it is great for a vacation, I simply couldn't live there with the heat... you've not lived until you've stood in the sun on a 117 degree day with no breeze!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQDUKE View Post
ABQ is a great place to live in many ways... 4 mild seasons... 310 days of sunshine... a city with a lot to offer but without being congested like the biggest 25 cities in the USA. The downsides are there is more poverty and related issues of drugs, alcoholism, school dropouts, and crime than you'd first think based on how clean and well kept the city is. If you can afford to live in the less poor areas then it is not likely you'd experience these problems. By New Mexico standards, ABQ is a relatively expensive place to live, and there is a decent chance to find a good job.

I've not lived in Las Cruces but I've traveled there and I read the ABQ Journal newspaper daily, so I have some impressions. My impressions are Las Cruces is less expensive than ABQ by a fair bit, and has about the same relative level of poverty and related issues. But since Las Cruces is a small city compared to ABQ, there is quite a bit less to do in the city. Since El Paso isn't that far away and NM State University is in Las Cruces, the lack of things to do is moderated quite a bit.

I live in ABQ and love it. I've met folks that live in Las Cruces and they love it. As for Arizona, I've traveled through most of it and while it is great for a vacation, I simply couldn't live there with the heat... you've not lived until you've stood in the sun on a 117 degree day with no breeze!
I hear you ABQDUKE and thank you very much for responding! Seems to me like I can't go wrong in either Albuquerque or Las Cruces. I didn't realize how close El Paso is to Las Cruces, so that's good. Everyone on this thread has been very helpful. I appreciate it.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM

206 posts, read 534,904 times
Hey rybert... your a jerk..

Old 04-13-2010, 09:09 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
Quote:
I hear you ABQDUKE and thank you very much for responding! Seems to me like I can't go wrong in either Albuquerque or Las Cruces. I didn't realize how close El Paso is to Las Cruces, so that's good. Everyone on this thread has been very helpful. I appreciate it.
Don't know if you've searched all the pertinent threads on this forum, but if you haven't you might want to look through them for ones on why folks chose Abq, why they like to live here, etc. My favorite is //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html. A couple more that have been active recently are //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...mparisons.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...e-phoenix.html. Also //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...-you-love.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ost-about.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html, //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ost-about.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...bq-10-not.html.

These threads have lots of posts but I think it's worthwhile to read them in order to see the city through the eyes of its residents. Note that many are pretty one-sided in favor of Abq but IMO that just shows the love that most of the folks on this forum have for this city and area.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
Quote:
I didn't realize how close El Paso is to Las Cruces, so that's good.
The distance from city limit to city limit is about 35 miles - 49 miles city center to center. And contrary to what some might think, El Paso is at the top of the list when it comes to "safest cities" in the USA. Just stay on the USA side of the border and you'll have no problems - at least no more than anywhere else in the USA.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico