Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 AM

717 posts, read 1,958,089 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is a Free Mason and has invited me to enter this Fraternity. I've done cursory investigation and this organization has a long and fascinating history. Any thoughts, opinions, gripes, advice, reflections on this group????

Last edited by dracul; 11-18-2008 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: keyboarding problems as usual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,234,817 times
Well... that's a loaded question.

I have ancestors (think 1700's-1950's) that were members down in Louisiana. From what I have learned, they were racist bigots. Now, that was DEEP South... I can not speak (and will not) for a more modern Mason organization. I'm sure there are plenty of really good men in the Masons.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:35 AM

464 posts, read 1,159,499 times
Not to argue Rybert but wondered, were they racists bigots because of where they lived and grew up and the thinking they sort of 'inherited' {the Old Deep South} OR because- they were Masons? I was trying to see the connection in your sentence.

For another thought for Drac. I 'have' heard they do good works in communities. AND ya get a Really cool ring
Sorry....had to!

Tia Dalma

Old 11-18-2008, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,085,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Well... that's a loaded question.

I have ancestors (think 1700's-1950's) that were members down in Louisiana. From what I have learned, they were racist bigots. Now, that was DEEP South... I can not speak (and will not) for a more modern Mason organization. I'm sure there are plenty of really good men in the Masons.
absolutely not racists or bigots. In our Eastern Star chapter in Belen we had every religion and many nationalities. We did not have any blacks, nor did our masonic lodge, but there was a Black Masonic Lodge in the same town. Often they joined us for celebrations, and visa versa...Of all the organizations my husband and I have been in, over 50 years of marriage, I don't think any group has been so totally sincere. The sad thing, like so many other frat organizations the group is struggling as younger people are not joiners..

NIta

Old 11-18-2008, 12:10 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,234,817 times
That's a very good question... I have no idea. I think the organization down there attracted like-minded individuals (as any special interest group will). However, I'm not saying all Masons are racist.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,085,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
Not to argue Rybert but wondered, were they racists bigots because of where they lived and grew up and the thinking they sort of 'inherited' {the Old Deep South} OR because- they were Masons? I was trying to see the connection in your sentence.

For another thought for Drac. I 'have' heard they do good works in communities. AND ya get a Really cool ring
Sorry....had to!

Tia Dalma
Not only do they do local community work, how about the Shriners hospitals and such??? Yes, Shiners is part of the Masonic fraternity.

NIta

Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM

108 posts, read 379,359 times
You would be joining with a group of Good men,
all with the desire to be a better man.
Good Luck

Old 11-18-2008, 01:46 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,618,090 times
I like Perry Mason. He always wins his cases.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:03 PM

464 posts, read 1,159,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not only do they do local community work, how about the Shriners hospitals and such??? Yes, Shiners is part of the Masonic fraternity.

NIta

That's right Nita, I'd forgotten about the Shriners part. Exceptional childrens Hospitals and care, and if I remember, 100% free of charge, via the Shriner's works.

Tia Dalma

Old 11-18-2008, 02:24 PM

717 posts, read 1,958,089 times
Interesting to read the "rascist" takes in light of the fact that my friend is African American and has dreadlocks to below his shoulders........and yes, he IS a Mason!!!!!!!! He actually is a school teacher here in Denver and knows I ride; hence the connection to the Shriners, which he suggested, who have active rider chapters. Times have changed my friends, and so must attitudes. Thanks Tia and synchro for the encouraring words THX to all for the input.

Last edited by dracul; 11-18-2008 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: tired of making excuses for my miserable typing with one hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico