Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 04:09 PM

11 posts, read 53,839 times

Advertisements

Last Summer I took a road trip through beautiful NM and I noticed that Carlsbad was much more greener than its neighbors of Artesia and Roswell. There seem to be more trees and green grass there and I thought that all cities received about the same amount of rainfall. Could it be that Carlsbad is in a river valley? I thought all the greenery made the town pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography101 View Post
Could it be that Carlsbad is in a river valley?
That has a lot to do with it plus the fact there is extensive irrigation along the Pecos at Carlsbad.
Quote:
The Carlsbad Project is in southeastern New Mexico near Ft. Sumner and Carlsbad. The Carlsbad Project stores water in Santa Rosa (a Corps of Engineers Dam), Sumner, Brantley, and Avalon Dams to provide water for about 25,000 acres within the Carlsbad Irrigation District. Project features include Sumner Dam and Lake Sumner (formerly Alamogordo Dam and Reservoir), McMillan Dam (breached in 1991 and replaced with Brantley Dam, Avalon Dam, and a drainage and distribution system to irrigate 25,055 acres of land in the Carlsbad area.
I found a "picture history" of Carlsbad in my library recently and it relates how the Pecos used to flood on a fairly regular basis before the dams were built. I recall that the town was washed out something like 15 times over the years since it was first established "way back when." It also shows how the cottonwood trees that were set out many years ago have flourished over the years, with many of the original plantings still surviving today.

Last edited by jaxart; 06-05-2010 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,248 times
When I was living in my truck and spending winters north of Yuma near the Colorado River, I got some info on the history of the place. Back in the day the river was huge... they actually had Mississippi style river boats on it... and it would flood a huge area in the spring, which made for large cottonwood groves along it's length.

Now the river is greening farms and supplying water to Las Vegas, and by the time it gets to Yuma it's never more than a trickle... no more flooding, or greenery or groves...

Old 06-06-2010, 04:54 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
... and it would flood a huge area in the spring, which made for large cottonwood groves along it's length.
As you probably know, Alamogordo gets it's name "fat cottonwood (poplar)" from the old growth trees that used to be around the natural spring that once flowed there. When I was a kid the park along White Sands Blvd. was lined with huge cottonwoods that overhung the highway and provided wonderful shade to stop the car under as we traveled between El Paso and Ruidoso. It was more like Tularosa is today - back then.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico