U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM

5,459 posts, read 5,590,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
Just a guess... maybe a shortage of skilled craftsmen; carpenters, plumbers, electricians e.t.c.
That must be why their wages are so crappy...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 AM

5,459 posts, read 5,590,247 times
Spoke to a friend last weekend who has been buying properties and fixing them up for a living... says I could probably build a 1800 sq ft house for $100k or less if I did most of the work myself. That is a price I can live with.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 831 times
Listen folks, Ive been living in NM for over ten years and I worked for the building supply industry in both NM and Ca for many years. The price of material is about the same for both states and gross receipt tax is no bearing because its basically the same as a sales tax in Ca. In matter of fact the sales tax in Ca. is higher than the gross receipt tax in NM and the cost to build a house in Ca (excluding beverly hills,SF and beachfront) is much cheaper than NM. The real reason the square footage price to build a house is so high in NM is price fixing. I know this is going to upset a lot of people but I experienced it and I've learned over the years that the custom home builders get together in a particular city and/or county and dictate price. I've experience it Las Cruces and Silver city. Believe me I do not think Santa fe, Taos or ABQ are immune. This does not apply to tract home builders so in case you are wondering. Grant you that the average home built in NM is better than El paso,Tx but not any better than Ca. Hell most Nm custom home builders do not even bother putting a subfloor, its all concrete slab (no basement). And if you are from Colorado, you know most homes have a basement and their cost is still cheaper than NM. Oh the cost of labor is much cheaper than Ca, Co and Tx. As I read from another person and stated, does NM have a construction mafia, he does not know how right he is.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:02 AM

1,789 posts, read 3,861,668 times
We've come close many times of buying in the Ticonderoga near Chama but the thought of building scares us.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM

1,978 posts, read 3,541,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of the rip offs View Post
Listen folks, Ive been living in NM for over ten years and I worked for the building supply industry in both NM and Ca for many years. The price of material is about the same for both states and gross receipt tax is no bearing because its basically the same as a sales tax in Ca. In matter of fact the sales tax in Ca. is higher than the gross receipt tax in NM and the cost to build a house in Ca (excluding beverly hills,SF and beachfront) is much cheaper than NM. The real reason the square footage price to build a house is so high in NM is price fixing. I know this is going to upset a lot of people but I experienced it and I've learned over the years that the custom home builders get together in a particular city and/or county and dictate price. I've experience it Las Cruces and Silver city. Believe me I do not think Santa fe, Taos or ABQ are immune. This does not apply to tract home builders so in case you are wondering. Grant you that the average home built in NM is better than El paso,Tx but not any better than Ca. Hell most Nm custom home builders do not even bother putting a subfloor, its all concrete slab (no basement). And if you are from Colorado, you know most homes have a basement and their cost is still cheaper than NM. Oh the cost of labor is much cheaper than Ca, Co and Tx. As I read from another person and stated, does NM have a construction mafia, he does not know how right he is.
I've been around the construction business all my life. My father was a GC in CA for 35 years. My FIL in NM for 44 years. And now myself for 10 years. None of the above is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico