Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 07:41 PM

11 posts, read 24,569 times

Advertisements

That answered my question perfectly. I'll be checking out Silver City probably the first week of June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 07:31 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
My favorite drive in all of New Mexico is driving on U.S. 180 from Silver City to Reserve then from Reserve on U.S. 60 over to Socorro as the drive is just awesome and you encounter some of the nicest mountain views and some the highest mountain passes to drive thru as again it's really a great drive.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 24,569 times
Default Looking for 40FordJim

I have arrived! and am looking for a place to rent. Looked at trailer in Mimbres but it was already rented. Know of any place?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I'll agree with 6 foot 3. 180 to 12 to 60 is a great drive. Only next time I'll drive the Bursum Road from the Glenwood area to the VLA radio telescope.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:37 AM

16 posts, read 36,096 times
Default Moving to Silver City from New York in June..

Looking for help finding employment and apartments to rent in Silver City, NM. I am a recent college grad and have a B.S. degree in business administration. I am aware of New Mexico Workforce Connection and Smith Realty, other than that I haven't had much luck finding employment or apartments. Any advice and/or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM

I would start by contacting the Chamber of Commerce and let them know your employment and housing concerns and see if they can offer some leads or suggestions.
Grant County Chamber of Commerce!

Secondly with your degree you might want to contact Western New Mexico university there as see if they offer any employment opportunity.
Western New Mexico University Home Page

I don't think that there are alot of apts in Silver City as it's small (12,000 Pop)and so look at the local daily and weekly newspapers classifieds as i imagine most people there will rent a duplex, triplex, mobile home, motel room weekly rate etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,094 times
Why Silver City/ NM?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM

16 posts, read 36,096 times
6 Foot 3: Thanks for that information, unfortunately I have gone both of those routes already.

rybert: Because of my boyfriend's employment circumstances for the next couple of years.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xleyxashx View Post
6 Foot 3: Thanks for that information, unfortunately I have gone both of those routes already.
I assume the employment route?

It's tough in a small town unless your a business owner or skilled with a trade (mechanic, plumber, computer repair etc.). The only think i can think of is try to network with people once you arrive there see if there are any local clubs that you can join and start to meet people locally there. Many times in my life when i found employment it wasn't what i knew but who i knew.

I wish i could tell you more

Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,597 times
If you can afford it you might think about offering your services as a free (unpaid) intern for x months. Similar to what you do working through a temp agency in bigger communities, although you usually get paid then. But this way the business gets to see what kind of worker you are, you get to see what the business is like and possibly network with other businesses, etc.

Try to get a list of local businesses in advance from the chamber of commerce and/or go door to door after moving there. Contact them all in order of what you think might be the best fit and see where it goes.

Not as good as making $$ from the get-go but it may distinguish you from other job seekers coming through the door. At the worst, it's another way to start meeting lots of different folks in your new hometown.

Another thing to think about is how open you want to be to different types of jobs. A BS in business administration is probably more of a "big city" degree, but you might also think about how that would qualify you for a possible range of jobs in smaller business. And pitch that range, and your openess to such, when you start talking to prospective employers.

Also maybe don't be adverse to starting at the bottom with a business if there's chance for advancement into a position that utilizes your degree. The old story about starting out in the mailroom has worked for lots of folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico